|
Author Topic:   start time for events
harmless
posted October 10, 2003 03:15 AM            
concerning the start time for ranked or clan events...

i know that "normally" it is the first map that starts after the hour. BUT...
there have been a few times when a new map starts at, say, 2 minutes before the hour.
and there has been some confusion if the event is now live.

as far as i'm concerned, any new map that starts so close to the hour should be considered "go time". since there are a few people that can only be around for that hour (my other other brother being one)
and having to wait to almost 20 minutes after the hour for the first map "to officially" start after the hour seems counter productive.

anyway, thought i would throw this out...
since i feel that a 3 to 4 minute window before the hour is close enough.

i know we are all adults, love the game, and have fun with it, so i feel that a basic loose agreement is sufficient, and those that are present at that moment, minutes before the hour, can come to a quick consenses and agree that the event is live.

toodles,
harmless
so show up on time

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

coaxs
posted October 10, 2003 03:19 AM            
Can't the server admins just reset the server at the hour?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

harmless
posted October 10, 2003 04:47 AM            
but then everyone would have to reconnect,
and dial-uppers might have problems.

IP:

coaxs
posted October 10, 2003 05:01 AM            
Oh, I thought they had the same acess as regular server ops. And could reset the server by just calling for a new map?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 10, 2003 09:43 AM            
I can add that feature to LogScan if there is a need.

Under logscan, the 1st game starts at the first map change after the specified time. If the game is set for 8pm, and the map change occurs at 7:58pm, the NEXT map change will be the start of the first game of the event.

I can also automate the map restart and give a five minute fair warning message before doing so. Just tell me what you need.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited October 10, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted October 10, 2003 12:42 PM            
If the server op could just restart the map, that'll be great. Paranor and others use to be able to do that for us.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 10, 2003 01:35 PM            
Par was able to do that because he had remote access to the machine's desktop. We don't have this ablility with the community servers nor does any of us have physical access to the machine. All community server switching is done through LogScan.

So if we ned to be able to click that 'restart map' button, I can do it programatically in LogScan and add the ability to control it though the LogSCan admin screens.

IP:

coaxs
posted October 10, 2003 04:23 PM            
If there is programatically a way of doing it, then that should resolve the issue. No rush Killer.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 10, 2003 04:31 PM            
Yeah, no pressure right? lol

IP:

coaxs
posted October 10, 2003 04:54 PM            

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted October 10, 2003 10:44 PM            
www.tightvnc.com is a small simple remote control program, I use it in my own house instead of going up and down the stairs heh.

IP:

Teulk
posted October 10, 2003 11:31 PM            
Crap!!!...all I have for that is an automated staircase!!! And I still have to run it from a control switch!!!!
How Boring!!!!

IP:

harmless
posted October 11, 2003 01:06 AM            
sounds like a reasonable solution to me.
thanks again KiLler! u da man

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 11, 2003 11:07 AM            
Killer,
Just so I know, would this be a 7 minute max switching thing or would this be a 3.5 min thing (only has to go through log scan once to get the signal to restart) or would it be an instant type thing?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 11, 2003 11:12 AM            
If done manually, 7 mins max for the client to pick up the command, then 5 mins of delay before the map is restarted.

However, I'm going to tie this into the event system so that the first upload that is sent after the event start time, the 5 min fair warning countdown will begin.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 12, 2003 03:06 AM            
That sounds a good solution. Thanks Joey!

IP: