|
Author Topic:   Ping?
KONG
posted September 14, 2003 09:16 PM            
I noticed since these extra servers were setup at LDA there has been a dramatic change in my ping when I connect to the LDA stock server.

I used to get a solid 100 ping and now it bounces around from 100 to 300.

Any of you multi server yahoos want to tell me how this enriches my online experience while playing treadmarks?

Oh yeah, I really would like to check out your other "user run" servers, but I find your overuse of logging detrimental to my fun.

Do we really need logscan on every server? Can we not have logscan just report whether a human is on the server? do we need to log every move a player makes?

Seems to me that alot of players besides myself dislike being logged on a regular basis. (see the last few weeks DDM turnout)

All comments welcome.

IP:

Irascible
posted September 14, 2003 09:53 PM            
"Any of you multi server yahoos..."
Good way to win them over. LOL!

The connection between logscan and player turnout is dubious IMO. Though I whole heartedly embrace paranoia in principle.

But to the main point, the ping has screwed the pooch. I noticed it before and mentioned it to Sue - who indicated that her ping is always bad. So that was no help. But in any case, when LDA hosted 85 it did worse than my cable modem. And even in stock games I get jitters in game play that wasn't a problem before. It's not a big thing, but it's annoying. And of course, we don't know for certain if logscan is to blame or what. Logscan seemed to have little effect on ping when I had a server up.

IP:

KONG
posted September 14, 2003 10:19 PM            
Hmm, I don't remember making a connection between logscan and my ping. I believe it was multiple servers/ping...

PS: I gave up winning ppl over a long time ago... or, winning...

Heh, I win every morn when my feet hit the floor...

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited September 14, 2003).]

IP:

wolfman
posted September 14, 2003 10:47 PM            
lmaorotfl - you are too f'n much Iras lol Like they say "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get ya Thanks for the smile and a good laugh. You truly are a kindred spirit bud JT

IP:

Irascible
posted September 15, 2003 01:23 AM            
I stand corrected Kong. You made no connection with logscan and ping. That's good news since it shows you're keeping your paranoid delusions separate from real life issues.

Taking one of those servers down would be a good idea. Running two is plenty. Maybe we can get someone other than LDA to run the demo. Bam has his SSO demo running at the moment.

I'm glad I can entertain Wolf. 666 and I are certainly NOT kindred spirits - but you should hear him sometimes. Get him in the right mood and all I have to do is make gastrointestinal noise and he blurts out his uniquely demonic and confused cackle.

IP:

posted September 15, 2003 02:13 AM            
People need to just ICQ Killer and find out what can be done.

Ras...those maps...need them soon.

------------------
Race Hard...Race Fair...See You at the Race Line

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted September 15, 2003 04:35 AM            
Just to clarify a tad. I never said my PING was bad - tends to run 100-300 for most servers, but I experience some form of LAG for all servers.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted September 15, 2003 10:19 AM            
Just to trim things down, I've shut down the demo server to see if that helps any.

The biggest factor over the past few weeks was that worm. Our mail server (on a different computer) was chewing through a massive amount of junk, and that slowed our office connection at times...but that settled down after Wednesday.

Jim

IP:

Irascible
posted September 15, 2003 11:22 PM            
Thanks. :^)

IP: