|
Author Topic:   Tanks>blood>blood banks...
Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 28, 2003 01:17 PM            
See where this is going?
I have gotten this notice twice now (and its the first time I have gotten it) soooo I think the need is high. Since I know at least *some* of you are health people, maybe this can get a few of you to do something. I called to donate, but I can't... had a needlestick injury at work and I have to wait a year before I can donate again, so please, consider this!!

Going into the Labor Day holiday, local and nation blood supplies have not recovered from the traditional vacation shortages. As the summer draws to a close, it is critical that America rebuilds the national supply as quickly as possible and that local blood donors give generously to meet the needs of local patients.

According to recent research, 9 million Americans don't feel they need to donate blood because they don't think there is a blood shortage. This mistaken belief means hospitals regularly face seasonal shortages. Blood is a perishable resource with a shelf life of just 42 days, there is a constant need to replenish the supply.

As the population ages and medical procedures advance, the demand for blood continues to grow, often at a much greater rate than supply. In California, only about 2 percent of those eligible to give blood do so; meaning we often rely on blood from other communities.

In order to donate blood you must be 17 years of age or older, weigh at least 110 lbs. and be in general good health. Appointments can be scheduled by calling 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (800-448-3543) or by visiting BeADonor.com. (sponsor code-ABH). The Alta Bates Blood Drive is on September 3, 2003, from 11:30a.m. to 5p.m.

IP:

wolfman
posted August 28, 2003 05:22 PM            
I just had surgery - 12 august - and am a type 1 diabetic - how long do i need to wait Thanks JT

PS
If anyone knows any other type 1 - i.e. insulin dependent diabetics - used to be called juvenile diabetes (misnomer in my case - got diagnosed right after I turned 30 - virus they figure) - have them check into going on the Insulin Pump - works fantastic and gave me a large part of my life back (steps off his soap box) JT

IP:

harmless
posted August 28, 2003 05:51 PM            
earlier this year, i passed the 6 gallon mark
been donating now for over 20 years.
i figure it's the least i can do.
toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 28, 2003 06:07 PM            
I believe you have to wait 6 weeks after surgeries (at least that is how long moms have to wait after they give birth), so that would put you at Sept 23rd, as long as you had adequate hemoglobin levels (when they prick your finger and float a drop of your blood in that blue solution [a copper based solution])
Congrats on the 6 gallon mark harmless. WAY TO GO!! Donating blood isn't really all that bad and you get cookies and juice afterwards (for all you poor students - think FREE FOOD!!)
I know lots of people at work with type 1 Wolfman and one got her insulin pump a while ago. SHE LOVES IT!! She moved to Arizona recently, so I don't know her latest details. A former boyfriend/housemate had Type 1, too (primary reason why we broke up, in fact, he didnt' want any kids as a result of how poorly he felt about the disease). Anything that can make your life easier has got to be a good thing. With the pump, my girlfriend from work found her hemoglobin A-1c values really stabilized, which is also a VERY GOOD thing. Good luck with continued success with the pump.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted August 29, 2003 02:56 AM            
I can't claim a 6 gallon mark, not sure how much I have donated, since I have not always been able to successfully donate enough. Actually that I donate at all is somewhat of a surprise, since I don't like needles pointed in my direction. I don't mind it when their in my hands and pointed at some one else though. My veins like to collapse and block off the needle, and it doesn't help that my blood clots real fast. I think I should be able to give blood now, blood banks in my area require eight weeks between each time or surgery etc., so Wolf you might want to check with your local Blood Bank as to what their SOPs are. I had forgotten that Labor Day was coming up, I am just hoping for a quiet time duiring the weekend.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

synack
posted August 29, 2003 07:24 PM         
I donate fairly regularly. I don't keep track, but I'm no 6 gallon guy - not yet anyway. Props to you who are. Keep on bleedin'

Ironically perhaps, I was donating blood on the morning of September 11, 2001, watching some silly morning talkshow on the TVs they had in the bloodmobile to help us pass the time. It was just as they were finishing up with me that the TV channel broke to the first pictures of the first World Trade Center tower spewing smoke and flames.

A day I sometimes wish I could forget, yet I know there's no way we can ever forget - nor should we.

I will again be taking the day off on Sept. 11th, as I believe I will for the rest of my days on this planet, to spend in quiet reflection upon all the lives lost, and in particular, my best friend Joe DeLuca. I miss you, bud. Every single day.

Hey, how's that for taking the fun out of a thread, huh? Sorry. Sometimes I gotta say it out loud, or the voices in my head get so loud they scare me.

IP: