|
Author Topic:   For next Sunday: An 85 weapons primer, Part I
Irascible
posted August 28, 2003 05:21 AM            
If you haven't played it before, you're going to be lost. A few things to understand in general:

• Many weapons reload three times faster than you're accustomed too.
  • You WILL get spawn fragged and sometimes often. Learn to live with it or it'll drive you bonkers.
  • Literally all the weapons have been tweaked in some fashion. A few weapons are original to me. The rest are either modded stock weapons or modded mod weapons. But none are in their original release form.
  • Your superior skills mean little when some newb gets hold of any of a dozen near omnipotent weapons.
  • Despite all the weapons, you don't have to worry about the map getting too garbled up. They won't be clan maps. But the problem was taken care of anyway.
  • The action is at times extraordinarily fast. If Par was to type "Who, what, where?" everytime he met unexpected death, there'd be nothing else on the chat screen.

Now for specifics. This is about half of the mod weapons that I plan to post explanations for. I won't bother with a pic for every weapon. For example, the stock laser is unchanged other than its faster reload rate.

My thanks to the original weapon makers. And my apologies to them if they take offense to my manipulation of their work. Some modifications were necessary to make them SSO. Other changes were made to fit them into the 85 weapons design theme. And just a few changes are thanks to certain personality quirks... but not too many.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited August 29, 2003).]

IP:

harmless
posted August 28, 2003 05:36 AM            
thank you ras, that IS helpful.
now, can you explain the spirit bomb...
toodles,
harmless.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted August 28, 2003 07:14 AM            
And the Volcano Maker? Not sure how far the lava 'bombs' travel.

IP:

posted August 28, 2003 09:10 AM            
very nice....Ras...almost want those pick to be with the weapons that Harmless has. Something to think about.

IP:

Paranor
posted August 28, 2003 01:20 PM            
wow - put that on a web site somewhere!

IP:

Paranor
posted August 28, 2003 01:20 PM            
wow - put that on a web site somewhere!

IP:

posted August 28, 2003 02:05 PM            
Well, Ras has asked me to up the server rate to what he uses. The standard is 3k, it is going to 10k. So...I hope this works.

------------------
Race Hard...Race Fair...See You at the Race Line

IP:

A2597
posted August 28, 2003 03:45 PM            
those long lived land mines are certainly gunna be annoying...

pesky buggers that they naturly are.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

wolfman
posted August 28, 2003 05:16 PM            
Excellente Iras Great job JT

IP:

SA
posted August 28, 2003 10:07 PM         
quote:

Well, Ras has asked me to up the server rate to what he uses. The standard is 3k, it is going to 10k. So...I hope this works.

Dialup modem users need not apply. That is over twice the rate at which a v.90/92 modem can receive data. What next? No Irish?

I don't know whether "serverrate" is the maximum data rate or the constant data rate, but even if it is just the maximum, by lifting the ceiling that high, you still risk flooding dialup modem users. I would really like someone from LDA to clarify "serverrate". Is it the maximum or the constant rate in bytes/sec at which data is sent to clients?

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 28, 2003).]

IP:

Irascible
posted August 28, 2003 10:45 PM            
I don't think you have anything to worry about SA. I do know for sure that it's a maximum and not a constant. I know that because I ran my this (my) server pack from my own server for a couple months or more. I had plenty of dial-up players who had no problems. MelonCracker in particular has a generally crappy connection half the time (no broadband in his area, poor guy). He had no more problems with the 10000 setting than with any other server.

I don't know this for sure, but I think TM automatically negotiates with each client and cuts down as necessary. What I think the real problem will be is simply too much action for LDA's connection to handle. My old server had a very reliable 256k upload rate and could handle 5 clients comfortably.

IP:

SA
posted August 28, 2003 10:53 PM         
quote:

I think TM automatically negotiates with each client and cuts down as necessary.

Actually there is no way for the server to do that. It simply cannot accurately tell how much bandwidth a client can accept. In most network games like Quake, etc. the server is set to a maximum rate that it will send data to clients, and then each client manually specifies the maximum rate at which it can receive data. The server will send data to the client as necessary up to the rate specified by the client UNLESS the client's specified rate is more than the maximum specified by the server for each client. In that case, the server's maximum rate is used.

I would suspect that "serverrate" is this maximum, but I would like confirmation from LDA.

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 28, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted August 28, 2003 11:08 PM            
Ras, can I use your descriptions for the site?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Irascible
posted August 28, 2003 11:19 PM            
You're probably right SA. But whatever the answer ultimately turns out to be, the bottom line is dial-up players won't have any problems. I don't think anyone has said it yet in this thread: 10000 is the default value set by LDA. I'm sure they designed their default config file so that dial-up players could play well.

I'll post a link to a zip file later Coax. Once I finish the other half of the pics I'll zip them all up and make them available. Though keep in mind that some of these descriptions don't work for the original mod weapons. For example, the original Chaff Master 3000 wasn't laser sighted.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited August 28, 2003).]

IP:

CyberCannon
posted August 29, 2003 03:12 AM            
SA, I am on Dial-up and used to play on Ras's server, never did know what the server rate was, just knew that I rarely had trouble.

Ras, I didn't know MC was in the same boat I am in with no Broad Band available. I thought he lived close enough to the cities to be able to have it.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 29, 2003 06:58 AM            
Interesting ..... Modemist ..... connectionist .... theres a first :\

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted August 30, 2003 06:58 PM            
w00t , those pics bring back some memories heh =)

IP: