This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Ranked Clan battle map selection...time to vote.
posted August 25, 2003 12:59 AM            
I move the map selection and rotation from the other one so that it will not get lost.

What Susan said:

quote:
As for map rotation, I can think of a few ideas. One is to let it be. Let the luck of the gods decide. Another way is the let the clans decide the maps. DNX gets December, BWL gets November (being a bunch of turkeys ), LWA gets October.. something like that. Another idea would be to have each clan PULL OUT a map that they just can't stand and let the gods choose what map plays...

Below is the list of the play order of the clan maps.

Clan Barren Lake
Clan Banks
Clan Bull
Clan Clay Hills
Clan Deer Hunter
Clan DM Black Mesa
Clan DM Didgeridoo
Clan DM Green Monster
Clan DM High Plateau
Clan DM Pugmill
Clan DM Spikey
Clan Gravitor
Clan Headland
Clan Hell Crossing
Clan Lions Pass
Clan Mosquito
Clan Not The Goat
Clan Pinnacle
Clan Scarab
Clan Simian Isle
Clan The Rack
Clan The Ramp
Clan The River
Clan Windchill

IP:

Irascible
posted August 25, 2003 01:04 AM            
My fav clan maps and my vote:

Other good clan maps:

The rest of the clan maps:

Other personal favorites:

Oh wait. Those three aren't available as clan maps cause the Devil said no.
(gif is courtesy of Bam - which is not to be construed as support for my position )

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited August 25, 2003).]

IP:

posted August 25, 2003 01:32 AM            
Now a reminder to those who were not around when I release the clan maps. I already threw out 28 of the stock maps that would not convert into a clan map.

Below are the reasons why these stock maps did not make the clan map cut:

- Minimum of 5 battlefields: Turtles, Caldera, Cone, Glacier, Brimstone, and Steppes only had 1 battlefield.
- Only a race map: Luge, Jumper, Serpent, Ring, and Trench Run were too hard to make into a DDM map.
- Too flat: Ice World, Desert Divas, Moon,
- To busy: Volcano, Armageddon, Spew, and Ram Dump had too many things going on that are distracting.
- To modern: Reptilian, Alan 1, Random Access
- Too symmetrical: Figure Ground, Mogul Field, Target had no main battlefields
- Too many trees: Woodland
- Too Bumpy: Mogul Field, Camel Backs, and Ribs to make any battlefields
- Could not stop the spawn fragging: Kahuna

The ones that did pass the grade I erased all the existing weapon points. Put on 50-80 weapon points per map. I tested each map with 40 tanks and 4 teams. I would relay out the weapon points to eliminate any spawn fragging and map rutting. I added trees to slow the action down. The maps that are clan maps are the ones that made it.

If we start to choose which maps for the clan battle, next we will have to select for the ranked DDM. It will continue on and on…until no one is happy. I would rather work on the play order then throw a map out. I already did that work.

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited August 25, 2003).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 25, 2003 01:40 AM            
At minimum, I am ALL FOR scrambling up the order. The maps we played today were HARD ONES. Alphabetical never did get my vote (being a W in school, I often went last )

IP:

KONG
posted August 25, 2003 01:49 AM            
Go to bed :P

IP:

posted August 25, 2003 01:52 AM            
Thanks Ras for doing that.

------------------
Race Hard...Race Fair...See You at the Race Line

IP:

Irascible
posted August 25, 2003 02:04 AM            
Bad maps have almost always been weeded out Devil. It's only your convoluted sense of fairness and possibly personal interest in your clan maps that makes this an issue.

No matter what is decided you've already had tremendous influence. You've taken out maps that others like from the choices we're voting on. You say we should play them in order. That "order" happens to be yours. I like desert divas a lot. That happens to be Melon's favorite. I also like Caldera and The Steppes. But we don't have those options either because you didn't like them.

Everyone is not required to be happy about everything. Lord knows I never will be. If coming to a consensus is too much work, then go with Sue's idea to let clans decide. Sue suggested it. I like it. And most convincingly, Supe likes it. Woohoo! In your face. You might go with the clan choices for DDMs too. If you were to let the DDM winner choose... well, you wouldn't like that. :P

Just for fun, here's the rest of the non-clan stock maps.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 25, 2003 03:06 PM            
Problem with some of Ras's favorite maps that didnt' map the "clan map" cut off is the spawn fragging and rutting problem. I, too, like Turtles, Iceworld, Desert Divas, The steppes, and Caldera, but they aren't good for 30 players at one time. Maybe we could add more spawn points to some of these maps and add them to the rotation?

IP:

Irascible
posted August 25, 2003 03:36 PM            
FYI Sue: I professed no love for Turtles and Iceworld. The "too" in your comment implied otherwise.

One of my main points (I have so many) is that 666 has this purist notion of rotating all his maps. Yet if he is to be consistent in the purist view then he needs to make clan versions of ALL maps so that all can be rotated. Who knows what player is being deprived of the map that suits him best? He thinks camping is a skill? Well, with Bam it is. So maybe the ability to play with that neon crap glaring at you is a skill too. If so, then we are depriving the neon tolerant of their moment to shine! This is an outrage!!!

Of course, I think that's a bunch of poppycock. There is a very dominant opinion on what is considered a good map and he knows that. Neon, ice and extreme hills need not apply. And, the reality is that the clan maps are HIS choices. No problem there. He did the work and he's allowed. But for him to get indignant at the notion of reducing the selection even further to good ones is silly. He's allowed to choose but the rest of us aren't? Bah. Humbug. Piffle. Balderdash. And so on.

As far as the maps that I like that aren't in the clan rotation, don't worry about it. There's still plenty to choose from. Just help get 666's unmentionables unstuck over the notion of paring his selection down further.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 26, 2003 12:27 AM            
bump-
We need to hear from other players about the clan battle map rotation. Members of other clans care to jump from the frying pan and into the fire! Temp is just fine!

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 26, 2003 02:10 AM            
Ras, the "too" was inclusive on the last three maps. The first two are mine only .

IP:

Paranor
posted August 26, 2003 08:52 AM            
ADMISSION: I didn't read any of this.

My vote: Let the clans decide on a rotation schedule. If they don't get their vote in then set the server to randomize.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 26, 2003 11:31 AM            
FYI: for logscan to be able to work with map stats, can't be set to random.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 26, 2003 09:38 PM            
In what way would "random" effect Logscan. What map comes up should have nothing to do with parsing a log to obtain stats. I seem to be missing something here.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 26, 2003 10:04 PM            
I vote with Ira, Par, Supe. Clans option on a rotating basis.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

KONG
posted August 26, 2003 10:28 PM            
Jesus H. Christ, why couldn't you guys just leave everything stock?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 26, 2003 11:11 PM            
To get logscan to work IN GETTING MAP STATS, the maps can't be selected by TM in a random fashion, they have to be chosen in order by the config file. That doesnt' mean that the config file can't be changed, either.

Ras, I believe in a different thread, asked people to vote on maps. I see that we are also seeming to be voting on the HOW to do it still (clans rotate the chosen maps monthly). Which shall it be? Vote for maps as a group OR do rotation by clans? And who are the official clans? Do the T3S want to announce themselves so they can be included?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 26, 2003 11:17 PM            
I promised Irascible I would post this. He DID make some good points. One person alone shouldn't decide on map rotation which is essentially what happened when one person (with some imput from others) decided upon what maps could be made into clan maps.
The community had been complaining horribly about spawn fragging and rutting in clan battles which is why the modded maps came out in the first place. As a noobie at that time, and one who had to spawn frequently, I MUST say the clan maps are significantly more fun to play with a large group of people.

Let the clans rotate (my vote).

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 26, 2003 11:21 PM            
I can't seem to get my thoughts into one post tonight. IF it goes with NOT doing clans rotating the map choice in clan battles, I say go through the whole map rotation, just change the config file order. Ras can change the order I'm game for using whatever complete clan map order he suggests.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted August 27, 2003 12:56 AM            
quote:

In what way would "random" effect Logscan. What map comes up should have nothing to do with parsing a log to obtain stats. I seem to be missing something here.

As far as I know, TM doesn't put the map being used in the log. So one can't really collect stats by map with the random map configuration. Maybe if LDA updated TM so it included the map data in the log we could have random maps again.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted August 27, 2003 01:11 AM            
YEap. IF you set the map rotation to random, then TM doesn't put the currrent map into the log file.

The only effect it would have is that LogSCan won't be able to maintain seperate stats for each map for each player. Logscan will just lump the player's data into a map named 'blank'. It has not effect on events either.

IP:

wolfman
posted August 28, 2003 05:26 PM            
Good choices Irascible - though I like clay hills alot. Sue - I was and still am in that W boat lol Hell's Crossing my all time favorite JT

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 28, 2003 06:10 PM            
I'm still a "W" too. I didn't change my name when I got married.

IP:

Irascible
posted August 28, 2003 08:42 PM            
Sue,

To answer one of your questions above, I did ask people to vote and I mentioned both options: either pick specific maps or let the clans choose. (Incidentally, I only started that thread because this thread didn't seem to be getting enough attention.) So far more people have endorsed your idea of letting clans choose the maps.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted August 29, 2003 02:59 AM            
Doesn't matter much to me. I can die equally well in any of them.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2