|
Author Topic:   system setings / DNX = tinytank org
buick 8
unregistered
posted August 22, 2003 10:01 AM           
microsoft win 98 2nd edition---------authenticAMD AMD-K6tm w/multimedia extensions 192.0MB ram--------32bit file system--------pc cards {PCMCIA}none--------no pci serial controller-------RAGE 2 plus english directx--------this is an older office computer . im working for something new at tigerdirect . a barebones . hope this helps. --------b 8 out

IP:

VorDesigns
posted August 22, 2003 11:48 AM            
BurikAte,

That would make an ok game server, I think, but as a game player, select older PC, pray, strip out all of the bells and whistles if it will load, pray, quit in disgust at first jerky visual.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 22, 2003 11:49 AM            
Your setup looks ok, i think youre missing a few slips of info tho. When Windows kicks in, it doenst matter how much RAM you have... windows wants half of it right off the bat, that means on a fresh boot, by the time you reach the desktop, you will have 96 megs o' ram to play with. On top go your programs into systray (icq east 2 megs, real player chews 100k a minute - real sapper)... icons eat 14k each.

On top of that theres the picture in the background, any sounds you commit to ram to save pagefile space, and aps running, like excel, or a wordprocessor and any other baclground tasks windows just runs for the hell of it that you wont even know about.

Net result of all this is you probably have in reality about 85 megs of free and contiguous ram after boot.

I suggest a minimal windows setup, no picture, as many things as you can afford not to run taken out of the systray then give it a go.

The more resources you let the PC free up, the better things will be - a full systray (example 22 items) will affect your framerate terribly, irrispective of chosen resolution.

Ideally run tm in 800x600, 16 bit colour, 512 texture (try 256 too) and a poly tris of about 4000 with a view of 1000.

But as wiuth anythng, once you actually get TM started, go with the minimal settings and work upwards. 250m view etc, 25% dust, no fireworks on the front screen, 640x480 res ...... let us know if that helps

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬isit the DMF Forums - Click here ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP:

harmless
posted August 23, 2003 03:46 AM            
22 items in the system tray ?!?!?!?!?!?
wow..... i thought i was excessive with only 11 items in mine
the one item you should definitely turn off in the TM options is the music. that has been the one area that most everyone seems to agree on. i still mainly play v1.0.1, and that uses .wav files, and i can play TM with the music on. but with v1.6 and its use of mp3 for music, TM v1.6 is only playable for me with the music turned off.

matrix has good advice, background processes will rob you of the system resources needed.

my treadmarks computer is ... an older one
and it plays TM just fine.
AMD k6-2 500MHz
192MB PC100 RAM
win98se
voodoo3 3000 16MB
ISA SB 32AWE

the other thing to do is to turn off logging.

#notice this entry in the config.cfg file
#located in the main program folder for treadmarks

#Logging.
LogFileActive = 1
LogFileName = "tank.log"

#by default, it is set to 1
#so a log file is created and grows and grows
#every time you play treadmarks
#to deactivate the log file
#set to 0
LogFileActive = 0
#or comment it out with a pound sign
#Logging.
#LogFileActive = 1
#LogFileName = "tank.log"

this should also help with resources.

good luck with it all,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

harmless
posted August 23, 2003 04:03 AM            
oh.... and the other thing you can do is to get a program that will free up RAM memory for you.

free mem standard is a good one.

free mem standard

however, do not set the options to free up memory once a minimum threshold has been reached, though it "might" seem like a good idea.

i've always thought it was bloody silly to have windows and a free memory program fight over it.... windows is using memory and then the program kicks in to free it up... i would think this would get ugly rather quickly, especially with win98.

but it is useful to see how much memory is free vs used... and then when you quit the game or program, you can use it to reclaim the memory that should have been released back for use.

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 23, 2003 11:30 AM            
Oh, and don't forget that nice little proggie called "End it all" to shut down those non-essential things in the systray when you don't want to eliminate all 22 things in the systray on permanent basis. Get it End it All BUT let me say, harmlesses site was down last time I checked. You can also get it from here. Good luck playing!

IP: