|
Author Topic:   how do i find a 3d driver for this vidio card for free?
buick 8
unregistered
posted August 21, 2003 06:14 PM           
buick here , hi .ok heres my curent vidio card {ATI 3D RAGE 2 + english and directdraw } softwear version 4.02.
------------------------------------could not initialize acceptable open gl rendering context ! aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------------------------------------
have a slimjim and take a break. help please!

----buick

IP:

buick 8
unregistered
posted August 21, 2003 06:25 PM           
tried the ati web site but i had no idea what i was - am doing. 8

IP:

harmless
posted August 21, 2003 07:01 PM            
man, did ATI make it hard to find drivers.

try this page for drivers

this lists the drivers for ATI 3d rage II

hope this helps

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

harmless
posted August 21, 2003 07:07 PM            
you could also try the glsetup drivers.

they have video card drivers for alot of
different cards, including yours.

the monolithic download is rather large,
but you could try the web based install.

glsetup only works with win9x

http://www.glsetup.com/where.htm

good luck
harmless

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 22, 2003 02:16 AM            
Just an fyi, the wicked gl drivers can be found at this site: http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml currently down for maintence though

IP:

SA
posted August 24, 2003 06:47 PM         
quote:

the wicked gl drivers can be found at this site:

WickedGL will not work for Buick since they are only for 3dfx-chipset cards.

The ATI Rage IIc video card in Buick's PC is very weak and can hardly be called a 3D accelerator. If Tread Marks still had its software renderer the game would run on it although with very poor performance.

I do not know if ATI had OpenGL driver support in its video drivers for the Rage IIc. I doubt it supports OpenGL. Buick and anyone else with a really old video card without OpenGL support could try Scitech Software's GLDirect at http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/gld_home.php. It's not free, but it will work with almost any 3D accelerator.

I think Buick would be better off buying a cheap PCI accelerator for his PC. I have an Nvidia TNT 16MB PCI card that was hardly ever used that will run Tread Marks just fine that I would sell you for a cheap price. Email me at sallan@swbell.net if interested.

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 24, 2003).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 24, 2003 08:44 PM            
True enough SA. and good cards are cheap as hell now, especially on eBay.

GeForce Ti4200

eBay Search for Graphics Cards

IP:

SA
posted August 24, 2003 08:56 PM         
Buick's PC is so old though it won't work with AGP cards. A GeForce Ti4200 is only AGP.

By the way, that card you linked on Ebay won't sell for less than $100. The reserve on it is no doubt at least $75. Geforce TI4200 are not that cheap yet since they are still good performers and will beat a low-end GeForce FX5200 which retail for $80-$100.

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 24, 2003).]

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted August 25, 2003 12:02 AM            
The ATI 3d Rage series will run TM in hardware OpenGL, however, the frame rate not all that great, and the smoke and dust will not be transparent. So the overall experience is poor. Speaking from personal experience.
If you need some drivers for your Rage, Buick, I can send you some. Get in touch with me.
Also, if anyone is looking for some PCI video cards, I have a 16MB TNT2 and a 32MB GeForce2MX that I am not using. I will sell for reasonable price.
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

SA
posted August 25, 2003 03:11 AM         
quote:

The ATI 3d Rage series will run TM in hardware OpenGL

That statement is WAY too broad. All "Rage" cards from ATI are not the same. There is an enormous difference between a Rage 128 and a Rage II+ or IIc. There is even a big difference between a Rage Pro and a Rage II+ or IIc. The Rage II series is not really a hardware 3D accelerator and is more like a S3 Virge or Cirrus Logic 546X equivalent card. To further put things into perspective, Rage II+ PCI cards like Buick's only have either 2MB or 4MB of RAM. Further details on this card are at http://www.ati.com/products/rageiiplus/3dxpress/specs.html, and you will notice that OpenGL support is omitted.

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 25, 2003).]

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted August 26, 2003 02:29 PM            
SA- Don't blow a vein, buddy. I'm certainly not suggesting that people go out and get ATI Rage cards to run TM on.
However, anytime the choice has been ATI Rage or no TM for me, I have been able to get it working (I am the IS Manager of an office full of Dell Optiplex GX1 PCs- see dell.com for specs).
So to me the bottom line is this:
Buick, if you want to run TM right now, you probably can and I will be glad to help. But I don't think you will be happy with the performance.
SA, you seem to be really fond of the Rage line of ATI cards. I agree with you that Buick would be better of getting another card. But right now he wants to play TM, which is what I am focusing on.
BTW- ATI seems to think this card "really is" a 3D accelerator - http://www.ati.com/products/rageiiplus/3dxpress/index.html - ;<>
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

SA
posted August 26, 2003 05:23 PM         
quote:
SA- Don't blow a vein, buddy. I'm certainly not suggesting that people go out and get ATI Rage cards to run TM on...SA, you seem to be really fond of the Rage line of ATI cards.

I don't know where you got that from my post. I have never been fond of ATI graphics cards, and have never had one in the PC's I personally own. My point is that the ATI Rage chipset family is/was very broad developed over several years with a wide range of capabilities going from the Rage Maxx down to the lowest-end Rage II+. Your statement that Tread Marks would run on a Rage card or wouldn't display certain rendering features is simply too broad to be accurate depending upon which Rage card is being used.

quote:
But right now he wants to play TM, which is what I am focusing on.

That is exactly why I gave him the link to Scitech GLDirect. If any OpenGL driver can get Tread Marks to run on a Rage II+, GLDirect can. However, I think the fact that the card has only 2MB or 4MB of RAM (depending upon which version Buick has), is going to keep him from running Tread Marks even if the texture size is set to the minimum. It might work if some system RAM was mapped for textures but the display driver (not GLDirect) would have to support that. In additional, I don't think the Rage II+'s limited 3D capabilities are enough to meet Tread Marks's rendering requirements.

quote:
BTW- ATI seems to think this card "really is" a 3D accelerator - http://www.ati.com/products/rageiiplus/3dxpress/index.html - ;<>

That description was written long ago in industry terms (1996 I believe) when a 2MB graphics card with a little texture mapping functionality was considered a 3D graphics card.

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 26, 2003).]

IP: