|
Author Topic:   hmm...suggestions?
A2597
posted July 25, 2003 09:05 PM            
Hey guys...
I'm nearing in on the release of the HQ pack..and have a question...

I'm trying really hard to make it backwards compatable, meaning people without it can play on a server running it...

this gives a problem though, as there is one texture (The flame thrower)that is new.

what I'm asking is
A: is there a way to tell it to choose an alternate texture, so if texture A isn't available, it will chose texture B, a stock texture,

or do you just want a optional download, including just the textures not included with the game?

this is for the people with PCs that may not be able to handle the mods BTW, but I REALLY want this to be 100% backwards/forwards compatable...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 25, 2003 10:18 PM            
name the texture the same as the original flamer's texture, and put it in the addons folder. IIRC, textures, sounds and objects also follow the 'addons override stock' rule.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited July 25, 2003).]

IP:

A2597
posted July 25, 2003 11:16 PM            
thats what I've been doing, however there are 1-3 (Need to go though the ents) images that do not have a matching stock image.

Most notably, the animated texture for the flamer is a img file, not bmp...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted July 25, 2003 11:44 PM            
Just rename it as a bmp file?

IP:

A2597
posted July 26, 2003 12:29 AM            
would one rename a avi into a jpg?

it wouldn't work....

------------------

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted July 26, 2003 11:53 PM            
Your alternate texture if not in the addons folder on a server would be replaced by the appropriate existing texture if it were named the same. All you do with an image file is index to the appropriate image or images in some order. If it did not exist in an addons folder it would select the same texture name from the regular folders. Your issue appears to be use of the image file. Test it with the same name as the stock texture file and see if it works by having it the same name in the addons folder and then removing it. That should answer the question.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP: