|
Author Topic:   Tread Marks 2 news...
A2597
posted July 25, 2003 05:11 PM            
I recently e-mailed Jim about TM2, got a reply.

We can't afford to work on TM2 at the moment, although that could change if the eGames release does well.

What we are doing is finishing up the LDA arcade with a server side competitive game based on Rival Ball, and should be done by the end of the summer. Then we will be moving back into 3D work. The first task is to create a Direct-X version of the Tread Marks engine. An RTS game based on the Tread Marks engine is in the planning stage now but we could do a Tread Marks 2 with dynamic lighting etc. Cash flow and demand will have a significant influence on those plans.

Regards,

Jim

this of course brought some ideas to mind...

OK, the DirectX version would rock, you could then have true light sourceing
(Shadows) and Dynamic lights (Missiles light up, etc), correct?
What about allowing things to be destroyed? such as a Capture the flag map
where you first have to take down their fortress?

Yes, those are all possibilities when more polys can be thrown around, as
forts/buildings would need to be modular for step-wise destruction.

Could new gametypes be added? Something along the lines of "Domination" where
a team has to control a point (Or points) to score, or a gametype
like "Mutant" in Unreal Tornament, where one tank is a hybred up tank, and
the rest have to attack it, the one that destroys it becomes the hybred.

That wouldn't be too difficult to add.

Also, have you concidered uping the weapon graphics? if you've been reading
the forums, you know I've been working on a "High Res" pack for tread marks,
the current engion already allows for alot of new things, though I'm kinda pushing it to the max with some of the effects (Animated fire, etc).

Cool... sorry I haven't been watching close enough.

As for Real Time Stratagy, could you expand on that a little? Sounds fun!

I'll start commenting on it at the end of summer....

Thanks for your time.

No problem...

Regards,

Jim

------------

Sounds good to me....

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 25, 2003 08:40 PM            
Welcome to the world of information

I spoke with Tom Crago - CEO of Tantalus a few weeks back, as Jim says, work has indeed ceased on TM2 for PS2 - this means the 3d tress and moving treads will take a back seat for now. Tantalus are denying ever working on the product, Mt Crago's email to me spoke different.

Ironicly, TM is still listed as an "in progress" title over at Reprocity software in the uk well over a year after they stopped work on it due to basicly ripping off another games graphics.

A's high res pack proved a few things to me when i started experimenting ... "THIS GAME CAN HANDLE IT" followed by "if it takes 2 years, the processors will handle it too!!" - so to answer Wolfmans question.. in currently in the throws of re-rendering the majority of graphics in higher resolutions. I dont basicly care about lower specs because if mine runs it - anybody's will .... bery few ppl out there with less than a 1 gig chip - its a gig behind entry level almost !! Well cheap now....

What id love to see is more poly's as jim suggests above... that means my maps wont jelly-out and ppl can have 1000m view with 8000 tris+ Which is perfect for my mod.

A new chatscreen i designed will be in the 1.6.1 patch as and when it appears, according to jim back in the old theads going back a good year almost i guess, youd have to really search for it; but its there.

Im really really looking forward to 1.6.1 - in fact, im counting on it to finish the BZ mod.

I Will release a "lesser" version of the mod pretty soon - the more advanced stuff and most demanding maps will have to wait for the patch.

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬isit the DMF Forums - Click here ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP:

Paranor
posted July 31, 2003 09:44 PM            
What is "egames".

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 31, 2003 10:10 PM            
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,3/gameId,2699/
How about a few people writing reviews!!

IP:

Irascible
posted August 01, 2003 03:31 AM            
I submitted a review. MobyGames has to read and approve it before they put it up:

The most fun and best kept secret out there. You FPS masters now have a new challenge.

The Good:
The game is just plain fun. It has all the fast action of a good FPS without all the gore. It's also a nice change of pace: the tanks maneuver a lot differently from the virtual humans you've been controlling in all those Half-Life copycats. You'll learn new tricks and strategies every time you play. And just when you think you're getting good, someone smacks you around like a little girl. That's OK though. Grab a nuke and you'll be the one doing the smacking.

Also, it has more mods than you've got time to play. There's at least 150 different weapons and many dozens of tanks you can download from various places. There's several massive themed mod packages. And maps... there's probably hundreds of them floating around. Different servers cater to these varied tastes. If you get ambitious, you can download free tools to make your own mods and/or run your own server.

The Bad:
Some days it's hard to find a human to play against. The main reason for that is that the original marketers botched it's promotion. You couldn't even buy it for a few months there. eGames has it on the shelves now and I've seen some new players recently. In the mean time, you can always catch a LOT of players on every Sunday at 5 pm Pacific. We (I say "we" because I've been playing for a while) have ranked games, clan wars, organized racing, etc on Sunday's and other days. See the forum for details. It's linked at www.longbowdigitalarts.com

The Bottom Line:
It's tank shredding mayhem with the speed of the Indy 500 and weaponry that would make Rambo cry for mommy.

It's cool to see THIS too.

IP:

Irascible
posted August 01, 2003 03:39 AM            
If you haven't seen it and you're too lazy to hit the link, here you go:

IP:

posted August 01, 2003 09:15 AM            
Very cool Ras.

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted August 01, 2003 10:52 AM            
Yep, n1 man. I`d be surprised if that don`t bring in a few more punters.

From little acorns.

IP:

posted August 01, 2003 04:18 PM            
The "smack you around like a little girl" would need to go. Don't want to offend the female population. Just substitute something else.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted August 01, 2003 04:36 PM            
how's about "smack you around like tennis ball in a Williams sisters match."

IP:

A2597
posted August 01, 2003 05:20 PM            
or smack you around like your tank weighed six ounces rather then two tons.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted August 01, 2003 07:24 PM            
smack you around like a little bug

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 01, 2003 09:16 PM            
Very nice box-art, cool find ras.... wonder why theres a crosshair on there - a taste of things to come maybe ?

IP:

Irascible
posted August 01, 2003 09:27 PM            
I dunno about that Devil. Some girls... err... ladies like to be smacked around. In any case, the good folks at Moby Games seem think that the only "PC" they need to worry about has Windows installed. :^P

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 01, 2003 09:38 PM            
Submitted:

One-line Summary:
** AWESOMELY INTENSE TANK ACTION ** -=-=-=- BUY THIS NOW -=-=-=-

The Good:
Its Smooth, Its Fast, The Terrain Is Deformable... leaves the days of unrealistic blocky sharp-corner vector terrain far behind. Supports upto 99 Tanks in a game, limited only by the server bandwidth. Totally 100% Moddable engine with commands so easy a baby can understand it. FANTASTIC Range of weapons ...... Excellent community of players, Mods like you wouldn't believe, Tournament support & Clans in here too !!!

The Bad:
Lack of Receptacle and the 3rd person perspective view (above and behind the tank) - but this is forgivable due to the ability to FREE move the viewing angle at will. When you have a weapon, you cant drop it, you have to use it up before you can pick up another.

The Bottom Line:
If you don't want to miss out on the most underestimated game of the century BUY IT NOW.. think UNREAL TOURNAMENT crossed with TRIBES but in Tanks - and you have yourself one HELL of a game Visit www.dmf.filetap.com , enter the treadmarks page and download the ** IN GAME VIDEO'S *** I GUARANTEE YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted August 03, 2003 12:24 PM            
Yes, You *CAN* drop a weapon. Its Alt-k :P

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited August 03, 2003).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 03, 2003 07:40 PM            
Nice to see it back on the shelves again. Just saw the new package at EBX yesterday - and as pictured in Ira's entry the new packaging looks nice.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 04, 2003 12:08 PM            
Biting tongue here:
quote:
Some girls... err... ladies like to be smacked around

IP:

posted August 04, 2003 05:51 PM            
See...I told you Ras...LOL

IP: