|
Author Topic:   Community server(s) question for the community
KiLlEr
posted July 21, 2003 02:54 PM            
Hi everyone!

It seems that there is a good chance that LDA will install TMLogScan for the new servers. Jim directed me to ask you (the community) as to how many servers are to be set up, that was I can set these servers up in logscan one my end and get the pertinant files and server id's over to Jim.

So far I know of:

1) Community DDM server
2) Community Racing Server

I would like to have a TeamCTF community server set up as well (for the once every 5 or 6 weeks TeamCTF event), maybe more people will play on a better connection.

Since all these servers will be under TMLogScan, it should be no problem in schedualing, since we will know what server has to be up at what time.

Including the TeamCTF server, LDA would need to set up 3 servers (so ar).

Let me know how many total need to be set up. I'll take responsibility in getting that information to LDA along with the the logscan stuff. (not that I'm on a power trip or anything, I just think it would make sense to send all this in one email.)

Please also give feedback about this.

For those concerend with not having thier stats tracked. There is a TMLogScan version of a 'donot call' list. Just let me know what your handle is and I can set it up for exclusion. You can also do this by setting up a myboomstick account at http://treadmarks.boomstickjoes.com and selecting the severs you wish to be hidden on. Selecting at least one server to be hidden on will remove you from all public stat listings.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited July 21, 2003).]

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 21, 2003 03:00 PM            
Incedentally, I will be creating a control panel where the lda servers can be switched.

This needs to be done manually, to insure we don't yank the server while people are playing.

I also need eitehr LDA (preferably) or the community to elect admins for these servers.
I do have super user access, but I would prefer to have at least 2 designated memebers to act as the admins for these servers.

These individuals will have access to the server admin, banned user list, event set up, ladder setup and the new LDA server switch page.

I will provide training of course for those that are elected that donot know how to use the afformentioned pages.

IP:

coaxs
posted July 21, 2003 03:35 PM            
I'm worried about bandwidth. I think we should only start with the community DDM server, and the community racing server. If the ping seems good we can get Jim to add other types of servers.

Oh and to answer the election question poise.
I would nominate 666 as a server admin along with you killer. He seems to be very interested and motivated in getting the community server idea going.

Also, I think it would be best if the admins for the bboard were different then the admins for the community servers.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 21, 2003 04:20 PM            
To clarify, ONLY ONE community server will be running at ONE TIME. Weekends are for DDM's (and KiLlEr, maybe a second config file for the Clan matches - so we can have teams with team flags and team scoring - i have those files for you). This is so we can switch the configs as needed
THANK YOU LDA AND PARTICULARLY LDA-JIM
If you are okay with it, David and I can act as one admin. There will be times he can't be around to set things up and I will do it Maybe someone like Kong or BZP or Sailor could do the other admin position. All three of them are quite capable. Speak up if interested

IP:

posted July 21, 2003 04:56 PM            
Yo...it kind of funny. I think Killer understands that there is only 1 hardware server. Though when you launch a TM server it is strictly software on a hardware server. And any server can have multiple TM server running.

I think we need to get some lingo down before everyone gets confused.

I am open to some way of distinguishing between software and hardware servers.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted July 21, 2003 05:06 PM            
That should mean that Bandwidth won't be affected right?

I can understand Coax's thinking for having the BB admins being different than the server Admins, that's not even taking into account the idea of adding extra "work" to the present admins. I am going to be bothered one way or the other, as far as who ends up as admins. So as far as Queen's suggestion,I think 666 and either BZP or Kong would be a great idea.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 21, 2003 08:19 PM            
For clarification, bandwith is not a problem:

1) There is only one hardware server
2) There will be only 3 TM software servers running at one time. One is the demo server that will *NOT* be logscanned. The second is the stock server which will also *NOT* be log scanned. The third is the community server.

The community server will have several configurations, each configuration is a seperate TM installation.

*** only one of these configurations can be run at one time in addition to the demo and stock server which are NOT LOGSCANNED. ***

Each configuration requires a seperate entry in TMLogScan to allow us to switch between configurations without the need for LDA to alter anything.

So far I know of 2 configurations mentioned:
1) DDM
2) Racing

In addition I would like to have LDA set up a TeamCTF configuration.

This brings the total number of configurations to 3. Each configuration being a seperate TM installation, means that the LDA will have 3 community server configurations installed as seperate TM servers of which only one will be run at one time, in addition to the demo and stock servers. The demo and stock servers are the only servers which will *not* be logscanned.

Hope that helped

[ edit: added stock server ]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 21, 2003 08:32 PM            
Oh, and if you are asking whether or not logscan should be installed, my answer is YES

IP:

Irascible
posted July 21, 2003 09:13 PM            
I second the TeamCTF server idea. I hate that less than I hate racing. Yes, that was a zinger for my dear friend 666.

It seems to me that DDM, CTF and racing are all stock and original to the "creator's intention". (I use the words "seems" because in reality I have no first hand knowledge. It thoroughly disgusts me when those who haven't a clue attempt to speak for those who can't.) So it only seems fair that it be in the rotation. Going beyond those three might cause debate. Rotating stock aspects of the game shouldn't. Killer, you just need to be as pushy as 666 and you've got it made.

IP:

coaxs
posted July 21, 2003 10:42 PM            
Well, if 666 is a server admin. Sue might as well be one too since she is motivated to be one, and thats your 3 server admins right there.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 21, 2003 11:15 PM            
Naw, david and I should count as one. If one of us is on holiday, the other would be too. I'm just thinking of times he is still mixing cement and the server needs to be changed over to racing...

IP:

posted July 21, 2003 11:42 PM            
I nominate Bam as a server admin. He knows way more than I do.

Actually, I would think anyone who is so inclined could be a server admin. Never know when all three will be out.

------------------
Race Hard...Race Fair...See You at the Race Line

IP:

coaxs
posted July 22, 2003 03:18 PM            
Why don't we all be server admins. :P

I doubt everybody wants to go through another voting scenario for a simple switch the server job. So how about the next person who says they want to have the job can have it. So far we have Killer, 666/Sue, and we just need one more person. Will it be you!?

Of course, I have no say in any of this and LDA is the one ultimately responsible for approving anything. But, this just seems like the easiest way to push things forward.

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited July 22, 2003).]

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 22, 2003 03:38 PM            
It ain't a simple switch the server job.

The person will have access to ban lists, event and ladder setup.

If Bam and 666/queen are okay with it, then they can be the admins.

AS for the server configurations, I have 4:

1) DDM
2) Race
3) stock CTF
4) TeamCTF

If I don't read any thing else, I'll get the proper configs over to LDA along with logscan tonight.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 22, 2003 03:51 PM            
K, If BZP and Queen check their MyBoomstick accounts, they should see the LDA server entries in their server admin panels.

I'm missing the IP and ports for the servers.

I'll be forwarding LDA links to the CTF and TeamCTF files, as well as TMLogScan tonight.

I've also configured some ladders as well.

http://treadmarks.boomstickjoes.com/main.php?page=TMServers/serverView.php&group=TMServers&uid=&

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited July 22, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted July 22, 2003 04:57 PM            
I know its not a "simple switch the server job" eventhough I did say that.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 22, 2003 07:27 PM            
Currently the IP address IS the same as the master client. I just checked the Sunday DDM server.
206.222.78.139:12302

And I see the settings under "server admin". When's training? We could try voice training if you are game to try "team speak" The client is on the DMF ftp and I have the server here already - that is if you would rather do voice instead of typing instructions

IP:

BamZipPow
posted July 22, 2003 07:33 PM            
Koolness..sounds good to me.

IP: