|
Author Topic:   Vote...Race Ladder Finals every Thursday on the Community Server
posted July 16, 2003 11:08 AM            
Ok, I would love to see this one come true.

Should the TM Community have Race ladder finals every Thursday on the community server?

One of the biggest complaint I get is that there is not enough room on the server for racing. So, if permitted, I would like to see racing on the Community server.

I know what you all are thinking. We need to probably have a committee to decide what would be on the community server. I would think that the clan representative could be a start...or have it that anyone who wants to be on the committee join.

But I still think that racing should be on the community server. I am beginning to like racing better than DDM's. It is extremely exciting and unpredictable.

------------------
Race Hard...Race Fair...See You at the Race Line

IP:

Irascible
posted July 16, 2003 11:36 AM            
Actually I was thinking, "Racing blows chunks.". LOL!

OK, seriously now. What I was actually thinking, in addition to the thing about chunks, is LDA actually willing to make all these changes to the server on a weekly basis? Or have they given a player access to change the config? Racing every Thursday is fine. CTF every so often is cool. This, that and the other every 3rd what-ya-call-it is awesome. But they all require config changes, no?

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted July 16, 2003 12:07 PM            
I suggested having a ftp server on the server pc to make changes to the server (would be easier to reset server if LDA had logsccan). Also, could use www.tightvnc.com to restart it since they don't logscan (if thats ok with lda).

Or prehaps some kind of auto running bat file could be made to rename the stuffs Kill the dedicated server (I have a window dos command I found that can do that) and restart it again.

IP:

coaxs
posted July 16, 2003 12:37 PM            
It would be a great idea if LDA was willing to change the config every couple days or so. It would probably be easiest if they implement what Ant said, so that a few trusted community members could change the config file when the community needs it changed.

Or maybe LDA will change it daily for us.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 16, 2003 12:52 PM            
So far, what I have done is promise to Jim a config file for each thing we want run. If someone sets up the config file, he runs it. It may eventually mean several different installs of TM so that the ent sync thing isn't a problem between STORM, Anarchy, clan maps, an d various weapon folders. Jim hasn't said how often he is willing to change things for us and hasn't mentioned one peep about remote access nor anything about LogScan.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 16, 2003 01:20 PM            
If LDA is willing to run LogScan, I can add the ability to enable/disable servers from remote. That way Jim can set up multiple TM installs; one install for each of the server configuration we want setup. Then through the server admin panel, an admin can have LogScan stop/start any of those servers.

I can even set up a custom panel that can force it to be mutually exclusive.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited July 16, 2003).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 16, 2003 02:42 PM            
Perhaps one option would be to ask LDA is they would be willing to run LogScan only on the "community" server. That way no one would have to worry about screenshots for DDMs, if someone was forced to disconnect (ni) they wouldn't lose their frags, AND there would be the remost option available in a secure way. If someone really doesn't want to be visible via LogScan, Killer has made that option available, and it would only be for the DDM/Community server. Sounds fair to me.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted July 16, 2003 02:53 PM            
The TM server box is completely open to the net and is only protected by it not having or running anything other than the master server and the dedicated servers, and having no ftp or mail, and having file and print sharing disabled... As it is, it would be inconvenient if it was trashed but not that hard to reset.

I prefer to keep it that way, but if you send me details about logscan I'll consider it.

As to willingness... I'm in the office part of every day, so can easily check the server to change settings etc. I usually check to see that it is running anyway, so making changes is no problem.

Probably the easiest approach is for me to set up a few additional dedicated servers with whatever settings and special files etc. the community wants, and then run them when you want them.

Although any number can be set to go, in addition to the demo server and the un-modded 1.6 server, I would probably just run one at a time, so as not to risk bogging things down.

Jim

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 16, 2003 03:47 PM            
The logscan program is a client which connects to my website via HTTP. From a security standpoint, its completely safe. It does require .Net runtime to be installed, and as long as IIS is not enabled on the server, this too will not open a security hole.

All that needs to be done on your end is to install .Net and the logscan client and add the servers to it. I do need to to supply you with what I call a 'registered server name' which acts as the userid for a given tm server to my website.

Adding servers is a matter of selecting the entering the registered server name, and selecting the tm.exe, dedicated.cfg, and lines.txt files.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited July 16, 2003).]

IP:

posted July 17, 2003 01:07 AM            
Jim: I would recommend several different installs of TM on the community server. It would be easier to launch the appropriate game.

Ranked DDM's and Clan battles could use the same install, just switch out the dedicated.cfg files.

Racing would need its own install because files in the addon and the stock weapons, projectile, and powerups are modified. I did mods to the stock weapon entities to keep the amount of synching that a player must do to get to the race line in time. Recently, I lowered the synching from the 90's to the 50's by modding the stock weapon and projectile files.

I find it easier to just launch the server that corresponds to the appropriate game that people want to play then swapping out the various files.

Just a thought

------------------

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited July 17, 2003).]

IP:

posted July 18, 2003 01:46 AM            
Well, TM community...can we, can we...or will the word of Ras be enough. LOL

Yes, could I work with LDA Jim to set up the race ladder on the TM community server?

------------------

IP:

Irascible
posted July 18, 2003 05:15 AM            
I appreciate the sarcastic vote of confidence. In fact, I appreciate sarcasm in general. But I think the explicit and/or tacit approval of GA, Coax, Sue, Killer, yourself, Jim and least of all me combined with the complete lack of objection gives you your answer. A 7 to 0 vote for anything on this unfortunately slow BB represents a landslide victory of monumental proportions. You'd have a hard time even finding 7 more people to post to this thread. And if you could, it's likely that few if any would object.

Congratulations!

IP:

posted July 18, 2003 09:19 AM            
Ras has spoken...it shall be!

------------------

IP:

CyberCannon
posted July 18, 2003 02:45 PM            
Well Heck, I thought I had already put in my half-penny's worth. I am all for it as long as it is OK with the PTB.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

posted July 18, 2003 03:38 PM            
Well Cyber...you are one of the Powers that Be...so you must be ok with it. Very good, I will be sending files to LDA Jim for the race server setup this weekend. With luck, racing will be on the server next week.

Very cool.

------------------

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 18, 2003 05:04 PM            
If it comes push to shove, whereby Jim says ONLY ONE community game.. I vote for DDM set up. BZP will be back soon enough and I don't think his race server has gotten filled yet. It may be too much hassle for him to keep changing set ups. Have you asked Jim, 666, or are you making assumptions about what he (LDA) is willing to do?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted July 18, 2003 05:35 PM            
The restriction is just to have one community server running at any given time, along with the out-of-the-box 1.6 server and the demo server.

I can set up a number of servers and run a race one during the week and a DDM one on the weekends or whatever...

Jim

IP:

CyberCannon
posted July 19, 2003 12:38 AM            
666, the PTB that I was talking about was LDA, and Jim just done spoke.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

posted July 21, 2003 10:02 AM            
Well, there seems to be some confusion here.

Only one community server: Yes, I know that. I was telling LDA Jim that he may want to have several different TM installs on the community server. This will allow him to bring up each game easier. It is not different from what other players do. I have an install that does most online, one for Killer CTF, one for DMF anarchy, one for TMapper, and one for testing.

Ladder Racing on Thursday only: I only want the community server setup for Ladder Racing on Thursday. The rest of the week, the community server could be used for playing any other game.

Schedule for the community server: The TM community needs to figure this out. So far, there are 3 days taken up. Saturday and Sunday will have the same schedule whether it is a ranked DDM, Clan battle or Fun DDM. Thursday is for Ladder Racing. That leaves Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday open for other events.

Moving the Race Ladder over to the TM community server: This will happen, I got busy this weekend doing the deck build on the house. Until then, Race Ladder Final will at Bamí s server or at my server depending on whatís up.

Why move the Race Ladder final from Bamís server to the TM Community Server?: Well, Bamís server was way cooler than mine because it could do 8-10 racers. But the Community server could easily do 20. Now that would put racing in a whole new scale.

Other Race ladder server thoughts: I need to rethink the exchange of weapons on the server. The exchange will need to happen only once a month to decrease the work and simplify the changing of the server. I also need to find a reliable site for posting all the individual weapons. In addition, I need to extract individual weapons out of Rasí pack, Strom racing, and DVS mods so that there are more weapons to choose. So, have patience

------------------

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited July 21, 2003).]

IP: