|
Author Topic:   hanging up
yugo2
posted June 25, 2003 11:03 PM         

Hey fellas. Finally signed up on the listserve. Actually signed up once (hence the yugo "2") but lost the pword.

Anyway, I have to ask you this, b/c it is killing my buzz not being able to play:

For some reason I am having major, unprecedented hang ups playing tmarks. I tried to blame it on servers but I found that even if I played single game it hangs up. I feel like there is some kind of software conflict or something causing this but I have uninstalled all the extraneous BS software and the same issue.

Anyway, I get a substantial (i.e. 10-30 sec screen freeze) anywhere between 30-360 secs of play. This is extremely frustrating b/c usually by then I am into the action and trying to wreak vengeance on the guy who just fragged me, all to no avail. This is the first time I have had to confront this and haven't installed anything unusual recently.

Has anyone had this come up? I tried the old tm install-uninstall but to no avail. Anyway it sucks b/c I like the community and I like the action and the hobbles are crampin my style. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I am leaving town tomorrow but will check up on the forum. If you reply, I will get back to you. Sorry for the length, thanks a lot.

Yugo

IP:

CyberCannon
posted June 26, 2003 01:56 AM            
I get this occasionally, and it is usually do to one of two things. Internet connection, ie ping spikes and that lot, and when I am running out of Ram space. The second can happen online or off. I use a memory freeing program, but I must turn it off before I play or it will do the same thing to me when it trys to free up some Ram. This may not be your problem, but I hope it is helpful to you.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted June 26, 2003 06:45 AM            
Could be to many mods in the addons dir.

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 26, 2003 07:26 AM            
Goto TM server listing, click on the server you are wanting to join and note the IP number and the ping.

Goto your Dos Shell and type:

ping [insert ip]
ie: ping 255.255.255.0

The program will ping every server on the way, if theres a packet loss or downed server anywhere on the route you will see it.

Try to disable any virus checking programs.

Disable any IM programs as these send out packets to every active person on your list causing lag.

Free up as much RAM as possible b4 u start to play, broken (non-contiguous RAM) can be the downfall of many a player.

Boost your MTU settings - we have a program on the DMF FTP that can do this for you and optimise your modem settings.

Add cooling to your computer, it maybe overheating - clean the fins and the fan, make sure u have good air flow.

Go looking for newer drivers, or better drivers... WickedGL is pretty good alternative to Glide.

Unload anything from the systray that isnt needed, it takes up resources TM will be needing.

Move your graphics card away from your modem, the noise cause by the modem could cause interference with your graphics card.

Change your TM settings to minimal and try that - maybe youre pushing your card a bit hard. start with the lowest settings and go up from there. Pressing F1 in the game will show you your FPS.

Defrag that hard drive, it may not be a major concern but a fragmented drive does cause problems.

Check your ISP - are you being bottlenecked for overuse of the web or excessive downloads ?

Look at yout TM's NETRATE setting - is it more than 3 ? pull it back to 2 or 3 for good performance.

Theres more u can do but that should be sufficient

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬isit the DMF Forums - Click here ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
Click here to goto the DMF Toplist
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 26, 2003 12:17 PM            
It might help to know what your system setup is so we could analyze it better. What OS, what speed CPU, how much ram, what video card, and how do you connect to the internet? These things help to know areas to look at.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

yugo2
posted July 01, 2003 11:21 AM         

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Just got back in town last night from a big family reunion- I can eat light this week. I will go through the suggestions and try them all out.

Sailor, to answer your question here are the puter specs. I put this little number together in january with some legacy parts-

MSI K7T Turbo2 mboard
AthlonXP2000+
512mb 133sdram
creative labs geforce256 32mb vcard (legacy)
Win2000
cable modem

I updated all the drivers when I put it together with no problems until now. Thoughts on the plane I had-
I know that at&T is switching to comcast so perhaps they are conserving bandwidth or something. That should be finished by the end of the week.
I have a temp monitor program that came with the mboard that I should look at.

Thanks! Will see how it goes.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted July 01, 2003 01:00 PM            
Hm, have you tried Turning off the music? My game used to do 1-3 second skips every time the track changed. Online, it would just KILL the modem connection + TM. Try turning off the MP3's in TM, see if that helps.

IP:

harmless
posted July 01, 2003 05:18 PM            
this is an excellent program to actually
defrag RAM, and it's freeware

RAM Def XT

http://vstef.softnews.ro/ramdef.php

toodles
harmless

IP:

yugo2
posted July 01, 2003 11:39 PM         

Mystery solved! It has been hot here recently so I cleaned out my box and everything is working fine. I ordered another cooler too. AMDs do run hot, and I do recall that the MSI mboard has an override feature to prevent overheating of the chip. That was it! Special thx to DNX-matrix for figuring that one out. See you on LDA. -=Yugo

IP:

yugo2
posted July 01, 2003 11:50 PM         
The cat has been sleeping by the case and that must have increased the dust. I'll miss the company but hey you gotta draw the line......

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 02, 2003 09:18 AM            
Youre quite welcome

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬isit the DMF Forums - Click here ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
Click here to goto the DMF Toplist
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP: