|
Author Topic:   messenger service
Bonzo Dog
posted June 08, 2003 06:01 AM            
Can anyone tell me about a popup called messenger sevice, it even appears when i play TM, i get the curser coming up during a game that tells me it`s there and gives me plenty lag. Appently i`ve won $1,000,000 or would i like a second income. Suffice to say i want both.

IP:

kv
posted June 08, 2003 08:59 AM            
Windows messenger is an evil little program that has no reason to be running as it serves no useful purpose.

To remove it, go to C:\windows\inf\ and open sysoc.inf.

Find the line containing "msmsgs".

Remove the word "HIDE" from the line, but leave the commas in. It should now look like this: msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Close and save the file.

Now go to Add/Remove programs, select windows components. Windows messenger will be listed at the bottom. Uncheck the box, hit ok, and restart the system.

Note: Windows messenger is NOT the same as MSN messenger. Removal of one will not affect the other.

[This message has been edited by kv (edited June 08, 2003).]

IP:

Kegel
posted June 08, 2003 10:15 AM         
Forget that. All you have to do is open your control panel, go to ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, then SERVICES. Look for messenger and DISABLE THE SERVICE. There is no need to modify any .ini or uninstall a thing. Just disable the service.

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted June 08, 2003 11:23 AM            
Thank you both.......how do they know these things.

IP:

kv
posted June 08, 2003 11:37 AM            
yeah, that works too. The method I posted ensures removal of the offending program instead of just disabling it.

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted June 08, 2003 12:55 PM            
Used Kegel`s method then tryed the KV method but it says windows cannot open the file and needs to know what prog created it.
Being thick as a plank is not condusive to happy computing :. (

IP:

kv
posted June 08, 2003 01:36 PM            
oh, yeh.. should have mentioned that...

use notepad to open it.

IP:

posted June 08, 2003 02:33 PM            
kv...I really want to remove the windows messanger because disabling it does not work 100%. Below are the lines of code for the windows 2000 version. I do not see the "msmsgs" anywhere but I do see the hide...so what do I do?

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
DriverVer=11/14/1999,5.00.2183.1

[Components]
NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,,4
Display=desk.cpl,DisplayOcSetupProc,,6
Fax=faxocm.dll,FaxOcmSetupProc,faxsetup.inf,hide,7
NetOC=netoc.dll,NetOcSetupProc,netoc.inf,,7
iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,,7
com=comsetup.dll,OcEntry,comnt5.inf,hide,7 ; temp fix for 64-bits
dtc=comsetup.dll,OcEntry,dtcnt5.inf,hide,7 ; temp fix for 64-bits
IndexSrv_System = setupqry.dll,IndexSrv,setupqry.inf,,7
msmq=msmqocm.dll,MsmqOcm,msmqocm.inf,,6 ; temp fix for 64-bits
ims=imsinsnt.dll,OcEntry,ims.inf,,7
fp_extensions=fp40ext.dll,FrontPage4Extensions,fp40ext.inf,,7 ; temp fix for 64-bits
iisdbg=iisdbg.dll,ScrptDbg,iisdbg.inf,,7 ; temp fix for 64-bits
imagevue=ockodak.dll,ImagingOcEntry,imagevue.inf,hide,7 ; temp fix for 64-bits

; old base components
Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,HIDE,7
CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
media_clips=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,mmopt.inf,HIDE,7
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7

[Global]
WindowTitle=%WindowTitle%
WindowTitle.StandAlone=%WindowTitle_Standalone%

[Strings]
WindowTitle=Windows 2000 Professional Setup
WindowTitle_Standalone=Windows Components Wizard

IP:

kv
posted June 08, 2003 04:07 PM            
hmm... did a google search, alot of XP info and alot of links that freely mix MSN and Windows messenger.

Supposedly it can be removed by typing a line into the run box. The provided line is this:

code:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

It goes on to say that you may experience problems with outlook (slow loading due to messengers absence), but if you have already disabled it, you have probably already seen the effects if you had them.

Check this link to disable messenger in Outlook if you have problems: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1266/

IP:

Kegel
posted June 09, 2003 01:11 AM         
Disabling it completely disables it :P

There is no need to uninstall.

IP:

kv
posted June 09, 2003 07:41 AM            
But a program that is only disabled can become enabled again, which is what 666 said is happening to him.

An uninstall ensures removal.

IP:

KONG
posted June 09, 2003 09:16 AM            
If you do uninstall it OE will tend to open very slowly.(may take several minutes)

The fix for that is to disable the "address book" view. Turn that off and it should load faster the next time it is started.

IP:

Kegel
posted June 10, 2003 01:17 AM         
Kong, they arent talking about Windows Messenger (the ICQ ripoff). They are talking about the messenger service, completely unrelated to windows messenger. It can't become enabled again if you disable it unless someone is hacking into your pc which i highly doubt.

IP:

posted June 10, 2003 01:22 AM            
kv...did as you told me. Ran and removal program and an error came up stating that could not find the msmsgs.inf file.

Hey...thanks for all your help. The main reason I wanted to get rid of messenger service is because it kick me out of TM once.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted June 11, 2003 06:22 PM            
You folks are an interesting lot; Windows Messaging service is part of the MS LM environment for inter-system communications. The problem is that most people don't button up their systems properly before they expose them to the Internet (ie., Workgroup name = WORKGROUP, RPC running, Remote Desktop Server running, etc.,).
Now, since the average and even not so average home user doesn't usually button up their systems very well; ScumVertisers have found that they can use the MS Messager Service to broadcast LM messages across the Internet using the Netbios encapsulation capabilities in the MS TCP/IP stack.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted June 11, 2003 06:26 PM            
And.

That 'Evil little program' is real important in a 'Windows Domain' environment where user notification of server reboots, power outages and other notifications pertinent to the smooth running a networked environment are required.
For those of you old enough to remember Win3.x, Windows PopUp was the GUI version of Windows Messanger service which must be running if you want to run a command line 'net send <message>'.

IP:

Kegel
posted June 13, 2003 12:33 AM         
Im not networked. Probably 90% of the peeps on this board arent networked. Messenger is not needed for ANY reason. Been runnign w/o it for 2 years. Just disable it and be done.

IP: