|
Author Topic:   anyone know anything about.....
RangerChic
posted June 01, 2003 01:17 AM         
mandrake linux 9.1? i have it in front of me and going to install it once i get my questions answered...does anyone know anything about it or know where i can find some answers?

RC

IP:

harmless
posted June 01, 2003 02:54 AM            
hello,

i don't know about mandrake, i only know about xandros linux...

but these 2 places should be helpful:

the mandrake user
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/index.php
Tutorials, Tips & Tricks by and for Mandrake Linux users

a more relevant forum that is friendly would be the lockergnome forums. they have a section devoted to linux.
http://help.lockergnome.com/

good luck with it all.

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

Paranor
posted June 05, 2003 11:21 PM            
I just installed RH9. On a laptop. vi and X11 config files are now my best friends.

I switched over to Lindows today to give that a try. Debian distro with a KDE desktop.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 06, 2003 08:07 AM            
Didnt know Lindows had reached a commercially viable status - didnt microshaft try to take em down last year ?

IP:

Paranor
posted June 06, 2003 05:03 PM            
They sued on the name but lost.

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted June 23, 2003 07:39 PM            
What are you wanting to know? I have Mdk 9.1 on a secondary system. There are too many possible questions for me to start by volunteering answers!
Harmless, have you ever seen Corel Linux? My favorite...I loved it. Gone now, thanks to a partership Corel made with The Beast. Xandros is the direct descendant of CL. I am wondering if they really did anything to it besides put funky X icons around and re-release it. I would be interested to know more about that.
Xandros, like Corel (r.i.p) and Lindows are all based on Debian Linux, so as you might have guessed, components are basically interchangeable between them. I had a lot of luck upgrading CL with new components from Debian, etc.
I eventually got tired of all the work and switched to RH and MDK, which are very similar.
My other fave is Knoppix.. you get a very nicely set up Linux system just by booting the CD. No hard drive required. Ideal for people who want a quick dual boot system.
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 23, 2003 08:52 PM            
Yeah Knoppix is great - i use it lol... the Corel one severly belched my drive out of its rear end after trying to install its lilo boot tool. My 32bit drive was mulched to 16bits and the drive was crapped back to the stoneage.

Good job i had a backup then

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬isit the DMF Forums - Click here ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
Click here to goto the DMF Toplist
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 27, 2003 05:26 PM         
I've got a Mandrake 9.1 station in the lab - major waste of cpu cycles and memory, but funky, shiny, pretty stable and great for Win->Linux migration.

Otherwise it's pretty much a standard distro with a nice choice of packages and a nice package handling frontend. Well worth a try if you've got a fast computer, otherwise it's not much fun. Not nearly as much as VectorLinux, for example.

One hint for all non-debian-users: get apt-get.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 27, 2003 05:28 PM         
If you don't have a fast Computer, google for "Linux-8086" or ELKS...

IP:

RangerChic
posted June 28, 2003 12:28 AM         
lol i have a fast computer, but linux totally crapped out oh well guess i will stick to win98se :P

RC

IP: