|
Author Topic:   Antique: Modder's Challange
VorDesigns
posted May 31, 2003 03:15 PM            
You've seen them, meeting your friends for a weekend LAN party of gaming, food and fun. They show up with their custom cases, covered or uncovered with all the bells and whistles.
Well, here's a challange to the gamers who remember when; I have and pristine Compaq Plus portable system. For those of you too young to remember, this 'poratable' computer is about the size of a sewing machine case; complete with built-in 5.5" CRT green screen display, AT keyboard, power supply, 300 BAUD modem, full height 5.25" 640K floppy and an RLL 20MB full height HDD. There are sliding covers on the sides to display the power supply connections and the peripheral devices.
Here's the challange; who among you is brave enought to take this 35 pound, alloy encased, assembled in 'Ireland' beast on as a retro-recycle project? All it will cost to get this piece of Computing history is the price of Shipping.
An added bonus; if you can get the HDD to spin up again and read, it contains one of the first tank video games ever. It was primarily the only reason I didn't throw it away when I got it.
Let me know.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted May 31, 2003 03:28 PM            
If thats the game i`m thinkin of it was a big fav of mine long time ago, Spent a fortune playin that game on Felixstow pier.Got no idea how to fix a pooter though.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 31, 2003 04:02 PM            
I think I had the model prior to that one with only 2 5 1/4 inch floppies. No HDD in it at all. Mine only weighted 21 pounds though. Heavy hard drive. Nice system for its time.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted May 31, 2003 04:15 PM            
Ho Bonzo A man after my own heart...
Battle Zone my Fav game
We had a coin opp one at my college back in the early 80s It had to be removed as we got
the nack of spinning a 2p coin in the 50p coin slot to get the 3 credits
also had (may still have) a version that ran on the BBC Micro Computer
(I think the college lost money on it hehe)

I also remember the one next to it was some kind gun man (bank robber ??) that shot at
looked like broom heads to get gold. on that one the panel that held the joystick had come away from the body of the machine and if you
were brave enought to put you hand in to the machine you could flick the credit switch behind
the coin slot for free games

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted June 01, 2003 08:25 AM            
Battle zone, thats the one. I got it on cd rom somewhere but i hav`nt played it since TM.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted June 03, 2003 12:18 AM            
going..

IP:

Paranor
posted June 05, 2003 11:19 PM            
I think the term for those was "Compaq Luggable".

I'd get it except shipping would be too much to bother.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted June 06, 2003 02:31 AM            
Yer best bet will be eBay if none of the TMer's will take it...

IP:

VorDesigns
posted June 06, 2003 03:23 AM            
I only thought of TM'r's for the mod casing angle. I will probably have to pay a recycler to take it.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
-

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 06, 2003 08:09 AM            
BZP is right - you can sell anything on ebay..... remember those old worthless Dragon 32's ? - well true, they are valueless, but if u can find a good condition Dragon 64, they go like gold dust for those sums of cash too !

Theres money in them there antique hills boyo !

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 11, 2003 03:09 PM         
What's the problem with the system? maybe we can start yet another remote PC fixing thread here? Fine little system, btw. I'd probably kill to get my hands on one of those

IP:

VorDesigns
posted June 11, 2003 06:17 PM            
Hi,

I'm not sure what the problem is; it powers up, but no post up. It has been a good ten years since I played BattleZone on it and

I'm doing the space recovery game at my home.

I don't need to make money on this, I just wanted to know if anyone wanted the system as a toy to play with.

I figured there had to be twenty or thirty beany-boyz with time on their hands and willing to see if they could shoehorn a modern system into a sewing machine case.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
-

IP:

posted June 12, 2003 12:11 AM            
My portable was a KayPro computer. Yes, the ones with the CPM operating system. It was an amazing 21 lbs of lightness. I used it in college to do my engineering and english papers. The link below is it, but you have only 5 days to view it. Enjoy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2735566361&category=4193#DESC

IP:

posted June 12, 2003 12:15 AM            
Found a pick of the Compaq Plus protable luggage. Enjoy quickly...only 3 day left to view.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2734524566&category=4193#DESC

IP:

VorDesigns
posted June 12, 2003 01:00 PM            
Yes, that is the beast, thanks 6.

As you can see, it isn't worth the effor to put it on e-bay.

Going.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
-

IP:

posted June 13, 2003 01:49 AM            
I don't know... the current bid is $26 buck...it will cost you more in postage and labor than in profit...LOL

IP:

BamZipPow
posted June 13, 2003 02:05 AM            
Give eBay a shot...

You'll never know what people are willing to pay fer it...

IP:

CyberCannon
posted June 13, 2003 01:58 PM            
The thing with eBay is that the bid normally doesn't include shipping, so the profit ought to be just what he is paid.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

BamZipPow
posted June 13, 2003 11:10 PM            
Start it out at a $1 and $20 fer shipping. I just got one of my other forum members to sell a worthless poster she got fer free on eBay fer about $15 shipped. Not bad fer the fact she was gonna throw it away...

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted June 15, 2003 01:20 PM            
You can still look at them after the bidding closes.

When I first saw this thread I thought you were talking about case modding, Which i've been thinking about, but I need to get a summer job first cause what I wan't to do will cost about $300 canadian. I'm looking at a canadian site cause the exchange rate is in my favor.

IP: