This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   banlist.txt file secrets revieled!
KiLlEr
posted May 28, 2003 01:07 AM            
After messing around with it and having BZP and Sue play victim. I've got this file figured out.

WHen you use the command:

/Kick <player> <time>

TM keeps this info in memory however, if you exit the server before the time limit expires, TM will write out the IP of the player and the timestamp at which the player can rejoin the server into the banlist.txt file. This timestamp is the number of seconds past some arbitrary point in time (IIRC, for PeeCees is the number of seconds after Jan 1st 1980, or was it 1970? I forget) set in the future at which the player is allowed back on.

So, if you want to permenantly ban someone from your server add this line to your banlist.txt:

192.168.1.3 9999999999

Replace the IP address with the IP of the player, a space, and 10 consecutive 9's.

Then restart TM and viola! That player can no longer play on your server. or at least not until its a cold day in hell.

Enjoy!

Thanks to BZP and Queen for thier time in making sure this works with routers. Gotta have victims

Too bad TM dosn't log the IP address of the player into the dedicated log file. I could then parse it out and allow server ops to handle this from remote. All I can do is allow you to edit this file from remote and restart the server for ya.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited May 28, 2003).]

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted May 28, 2003 08:58 AM            
Next question how do you find the offenders
IP number

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 28, 2003 10:37 AM            
I think I figured out a way to have TMLogScan do a remote Kick of a user on a server by manipulating the TM window.

The only caveat is that TMLogScan will need to start the TM servers internally, especially in the case of multiple servers in order to identify which process belongs to which server.

I'll give it a shot tonight.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited May 28, 2003).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 28, 2003 12:33 PM            
@robo:

The forums log the ip of the poster, just get the range if they are dynamic, or if they are staatic its even easier.

You can also email them, their IP will be in the reply mails file header.

Or you can run an IP recorder program on the same comp as the server - theres many ways to obtain an IP.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 28, 2003 12:55 PM            
The issue though is that you need to associate the IP with a player name. Its simple when you only have one person on, but near impossible when you have multiple people on.

I figured out a way that I can access the window of a TM server from within TMLogScan. I just have to change the way TMLogScan starts up TM. Instead of just running the exe, I can create a process from my program which will start TM. The difference is that the latter gives me the window handle of the TM server I invoke. That gives me the ability to activate the window, assign focus to the text input box that you enter the server commands into, and inject a text string into it. I have it sketched out so I'll be able to code it up in a couple of hours at home tonight.

IP:

coaxs
posted May 28, 2003 01:34 PM            
One word Killer, WOW!

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 28, 2003 03:46 PM            
So I see a short cut method for Robo here. IF you are around and IF you see a player you want to kick from your server, just type in the kick command, then exit. Since TM saves the IP and the timestamp, you can then enter that IP number in your banlist.txt with the 999999999(how ever many needed) and restart the server. It would inconvenience your players for just a few moments and, in some cases, make the playing so much nicer.
Too bad this has to be worked out. Unfortunately, Killer noticed in some of the TM logs there were some player's names that used a few choice 4 letter words, and some pretty foul behaviour in the chat messages.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 28, 2003 09:56 PM            
Wonder if theres a way (if you can inject and invoke) to have a replace word system to prevent all this foul language....

Killers certainly working miriacles here CONGRATS !! if i were closer id buy ya a beer

btw: has anyone noticed that you can reply several times to one message using the reply buttin in the iframe below ? lol - cool...

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 29, 2003 10:23 AM            
I can only inject. I can't trap a message until after it has been sent.

What I plan to do is create a text file that a sever op can edit to contain words which, if a player uses, automatically bans them for a specified time.

Extended period bans can be set up through the serveradmin panels on my website (edit panel yet to be done).

So far, I have it working with extended period bans fairly well. I'm just going to try to make the injection more dependable.

Currently it moves the focus a predetermined number of times to get to the TM server's text box and then assumes that it will always stay there. This works fine until some one moves the focus.

I'm going to try to do whats called an 'enumeration' to search through the controls in that form to find that text box. When I find it, I can set focus directly to it, instead of guessing how many times I need to 'hit' the tab key.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited May 29, 2003).]

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted May 29, 2003 10:33 AM            
Oooerr this is getin scarry
(!!!! BIG TM BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU !!!!!!)

Sue If Im reading killers opening post right
then the IP of a band ply is only written to the banlist.txt if/when the server is stopped while the ban is inafect.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 29, 2003 12:03 PM            
Yes your are correct

As for Big brother, since this text file will be under the total control of the server op, it will be for him/her to decide what words are banned and the timelimit penalty for an incursion. The file can be completely empty of course. I won't be forcing the server ops into using it. (I did note your smiley, but I just wanted to stres this point )

I will however block any player name that contain the F word, or the 4 letter varients of the reproductive organs on the player stats. There were a few entries which I had to manually delete last week at the request of my web host.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 29, 2003 01:15 PM            
I think this is a neat thing. For the most part, I don't mind a bit of cussing or friendly trash-talk. I do mind someone ranting and raving and calling everyone who scores a frag a "di*kless c*nt" or other such words. (feel free to edit if you must Sailor or Coax) Such language is uncalled for, ESPECIALLY when kids play the game! I certainly hope that the players who cuss the most are at least aware of who is on when they let loose their lips. Perhaps there could be an "adult language" servers with NO controls and "family friendly" servers where no cussing is tolerated? Tm and disney combine forces LOL

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 29, 2003 01:18 PM            
an adult server - interesting.... i can release my playboy map lol

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 29, 2003 04:58 PM            
The 'BlackList' has been implemented on my website. Any player whose name (or part of) is on this list will not have their stats stored.

Anyone who dosn't want their stats kept, can also have their name (or part of) added to this list. (Kong? GA#1? )

(Edit: eGads, the longer the day wears, the worse my typing. LOL )

IP:

Sage
posted June 01, 2003 04:55 PM            
A playboy map? thatís pretty interesting Anyway, this is what I was hoping for. A way where people can co-exist together without bad language.

Ya know Killer; you should sell this idea to other online gaming companies. Iím sure they would appreciate a program that helps with the language control, such a Tanarus

IP:

CyberCannon
posted June 01, 2003 07:58 PM            
Sage, the last time I was at Tanarus I wouldn't expect them to care that much about the language. That was a while ago so things may have changed though.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 03, 2003 01:20 AM            
mh, im fine with the stats, as long as suiciding (I don't suicide during the game ) doesn't take off frags. hehehe

**I died last**

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 03, 2003 11:13 PM            
Good news!

I set my kick time to 30mins and the server don't crash!

So with the new TMLogScan (3.5.4), it looks like we're in bi'd'ness!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 12, 2003 12:58 PM            
I thought I'd revive this puppy as it contains info about the banlist.txt

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted November 16, 2003 11:30 PM            
according to my calculations, 9999999999 seconds comes out to 31.7 years. And when you take out all the time since 1970, the ban is already over before it starts.

Hate me for this if you want, but I think it's wrong to ban people from the game based on what type of language they use, especially if there's no one else around to be offended. All of this within reason of course. If someone seems out of their mind and just plain pissed at the world launching in tirades, by all means ban him.

quote:
I will however block any player name that contain the F word, or the 4 letter varients of the reproductive organs on the player stats. There were a few entries which I had to manually delete last week at the request of my web host.

This is another story entirely. I didn't realize this could get you in trouble with your web host.

quote:
Such language is uncalled for, ESPECIALLY when kids play the game!

You'd be supprised at what kids say, their language is much fowler than most adults. starting at age 10-11, kids, well, boys actually, discover that uttering those forbidden words won't cause them to burst into flames, it actually makes them feel quite strong. Later, at age 14-15, they enter high school, and it dies down. Though not so much any more as rap culture seems to promote useing 4-letter words to replace most nouns, adjectives, and verbs in order to cause the least amount of mental activity possible. Now those of you who have kids in this age range, please don't go questioning your kids about this. First of all, they'll never admit it. Second of all, It's not going to effect who they become or anyting, there's a lot of things that parents overreact to, (I hope I don't regret saying that) this is one of them. You could call it a phase I guess... And don't worry, your kids aren't going to open their mouths and embarass you in front of anyone.

As a final note, if you put this auto-ban thing for cursing on you server, make sure that a warning message is sent to each player as he/she joins so they don't condemn themselves before they know what they're getting in to.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted November 16, 2003 11:32 PM            
Wow that was long. (didn't have any smilies in it either )

IP:

Irascible
posted November 16, 2003 11:59 PM            
"I think it's wrong to ban people from the game based on what type of language they use"

On what principle is that based on? The statement implies that there is a right, be it legal or moral, to swear on a privately owned server. There is no such right of course. Nor is there any right to be notified that civil behavior is required. It is in fact the ones who are uncivil that should do the notifying. As such, it is not "wrong" to put limitations on a privately held server (as opposed to publicly owned - in which case there can be arguments for equal access - blah, blah, blah).

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 17, 2003 05:23 AM            
Ras is right.

However, if bans are to be implimented on a regular basis, I suggest this.

1st Warning: Full Day Ban
2nd Warning: 1 Month Ban
3rd Warning: Total Ban

If they havent got the message after the 2nd warning, they either have a ridiculously low IQ or are doing it intentionally.

I wonder if theres any way we can setup a complain system like in wolfenstein.... Plyare 1 complains by doing a "/complain player" message. Everyone else gets an "agree Y/N" message. If more than 50% of the ppl on the server say "Y" then the /kick occurs.

Thoughts ?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 17, 2003 10:05 AM            
@Scrap:

Instead of calculating it why don't you try it. It works, I have tested it. I don't arbitarily post information without first doing my research with experiments. I messed with the banlist file for a week with BZP and Queen until we figured out how it worked.
The start date may be January 1st 1980 for PC's and not 1970. But either way it doesn't matter as the time that was written into the banlist file when I posted the original info was around 3,600,000,000.

As far as kicking people off my servers, they are my servers so no matter how you slice it, I do with them as I see fit. Public servers are another story. The LDA community servers donot have the sware word banning enabled (obviously). Also with the sware word banning you donot get banned permenantly, you get auto-banned for 30 mins. I don't believe I need to warn anyone about using foul language as it not socially acceptible in a public place to begin with. (And don't start arguing about its socialy acceptible with your friends. Just try walking up to a stranger and start spewing foul language at them and see how far you get or during an interview. Thats the envionment on the game servers, you are in a public place with strangers so you need to behave accordingly.)

But the Community servers donot have auto-banning setup, unless the community wants it enabled. Something like that would need to be unanimous. The only banning that can be done is putting the player name on a permanent ban list. It's use is highly unlikely. (I know I won't do it)

ALso, Just because in your immediate enviornment 10-11 year olds behave that way, don't assume that they're all like that. I was not like that and I'm sure Sue's kids are not like that either.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited November 17, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited November 17, 2003).]

IP:

posted November 17, 2003 10:17 AM            
OH...Ras and Matrix agreed. This might be a 1st.

Sorry for getting carried away...LOL

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2