|
Author Topic:   Lag Issues
Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 20, 2003 10:03 PM            
I admit it. I have been spoiled. I have DSL and
am accustomed to pings in the 100-200 range. I played Robo's Clan maps this am and started out just fine, but ended with pings in the 2000 range (totally unplayable). I hear through the 666 rumor mill that OTHER players are having similar problems.
I readily admit, I don't know enough about how pings work. . but if two players are on different ISPs and they BOTH have ping problems, then it is the server (I bet) that is having problems. So why would a server that HAD a ping of 200 for a player all of a sudden get a ping of 2000 when A) no additional players joined and B) there aren't high lag weapons in use?
Is anyone else having this problem?

IP:

KONG
posted May 20, 2003 10:30 PM            
It could be congestion or latency problems on his WAN.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 20, 2003 10:54 PM            
I have cable and shut down just about everything. Almost all the servers that I normally play have been getting really laggy with ping climbing as high as 8000. Not sure what it is. Could it be the master server? Or LogScan?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 20, 2003 11:36 PM            
Easy enough, did you try shutting down LogScan?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 21, 2003 12:04 AM            
On Killer and LogScan's behalf, I DID shut down logscan and STILL got pings on ALL servers (except my own via LAN) of >1000 (generall 1300 to 1400).

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 21, 2003 12:31 AM            
Sounds very much like an internet problem with routing or overloaded circuits. Too many servers involved at different locations to be just a server issue. Could be some equipment that is in a backbone somewhere is beginning to fail (having hardware issues) or something along that line. Just a networking thought

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 21, 2003 02:44 AM            
There certainly is SOME kind of problem. My isp is supposed to supply me with an upload of 128 kbps, but using www.dslreports.com I tested at <50 kbps (I think it was 42 kbps) or about 1/3 of "promised" speed.
I ran the Dr TCP tools and tweaked things a bit. At least now I start with pings back in familar ranges, but still get pings in 500-800 range.
If anyone has other ideas, I would LOVE to hear them! I did the full battery of line tests and got pretty decent results with packet loss and all.

NB: I will be calling my ISP in the am about that slow upload time. The download, though sluggish for my normal connection, is still > 700 kbps, so I can't complain on that issue.

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted May 21, 2003 06:24 AM            
I noticed the higher than normal ping rate on the Clan map server while playing last night.

I did go and stop the other servers but not TMlogscan (It was the EURO DDM at the time)

didnt seam to to any good the only other thing Ill try is to restart the pc tonight

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 21, 2003 11:06 AM            
Robo, don't worry too much as it is on ALL servers, not just yours.
Also, run virus scan software (everyone should do this) I heard from Killer that there is a brand new virus going around via the net that horribly slows 'net traffic. I ran mine (and do so regularly) and found SEVEN viri (which did end up being similar to the one you found KiLlEr- at least they all had 32 in their name).

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 21, 2003 11:15 AM            
Lag is still an issue, despite the viri being obliterated, despite the Dr tcp tools. Acck!
TM had become completely unplayable!
Look:
(removed the image of pings in the 1000's)
Oh, and it does get worse. When I joined the lag test server, I did get pings of high 6000 to just over 7000

IT appears to have been OUR settings on OUR router that were causing SOME of the horrible lag on this end. I had put the server into the DMZ and our router didnt like that and balked at giving us SPEED after that! My bad. The GA race server is going back up with logscan shortly after, once 666 verifies that TM is once again playable

[This message has been edited by Blue n Gold Sue (edited May 22, 2003).]

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 21, 2003 12:28 PM            
I'm glad it wasn't me, or I'd have taken 1st place on the Lord of the Pings board.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

Teulk
posted May 21, 2003 04:03 PM            
Just my two cents to let everyone know that I have had horrible ppings lately as well---+4000 yesterday on the racer server..had to quit it. Cleaned out the pc and did a defrag, virus scan, the whole she-bang. Went back, same deal....
So something is clogging up the works...

IP:

posted May 21, 2003 11:13 PM            
hey all...I think it is us...and changes we did to the router to make team speak work. So...will let you know after we check it out tonite.

IP:

posted May 22, 2003 12:09 AM            
yep it was us...sorry about that. What happenned is that we put a part of the router into the DMZ. This has been undone thus the speed are up again. Good news is that we are going to pursue better upload speeds.

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited May 22, 2003).]

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 22, 2003 11:55 AM            

The problem with that idea is that it is not just on your server and with you guys. It has been noticed on all the servers by more than a few people. However, other than a ping spike once last night, I had pretty good pings.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 22, 2003 12:16 PM            
lol cyber, there goes that trigger happy finger again!

my 2p! I'm having horrible pings jsut now! Was on LDA demo and it had about 5 when I joined, so not completely unusual but my ping was spiking between 400 and 2000! Then more joined and it became unplayable. Then visited the LDA server, where Max was and it was still happening, although not as bad but extremely annoying.

Checked the master client and pings for all servers are all over the shot! :S this is depriving me horribly of my only current online game and I hope this is sorted soon!

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 22, 2003 01:06 PM            
Aaaaaaaaaaccccccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would an Admin please delete four of these? I only sent it once but it hung, so I went back to the forum page. Now I guess I know what it was hanging about.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 22, 2003 03:31 PM            
Done per your request Cyber.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

VorDesigns
posted May 23, 2003 12:57 AM            
Just an FYI - EarthLink (one of the largest backbone providers in the nation) has been doing a lot of maintenance; two days ago they put in a patch somewhere that wasn't supposed to affect Los Angeles. The next day Denver and Los Angeles experienced prolonged, intermittent loss of IP for DSL customers. They also took out 113 Los Angeles area frame relay circuits (look up you really flummoxed it). For those of you who see Dinocrhome up with no ping, that is an example of the problems. I reboot the server, the firewall, the router, the switches, no improvement and nothing but 'we can ping it from here' from the EarthLink technicians. The only upshot I've gotten out of this degradation in service is that they are finally coughing up ETRN support for my e-mail domains even though they don't handle my DNS.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 23, 2003 01:15 AM            
I also heard that Houston was out for a bit, as well as another area of Texas (gosh, I forgot the name) as per the recording at my ISP, SBC Global.

IP:

posted May 24, 2003 12:32 PM            
latest update on the lag...we have be hack by spy software and a trojan. Busy getting it off all the computers. For now the racing is off.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 26, 2003 12:28 PM            
Final update:
ONE computer got a trojan. It's not on any other of our pc's. It's as I told BZP (who helped me immensely, along with Matrix, and some of Bam's friends from LittleWhiteDog) What I did was similar to touching the handle of a pan when you KNOW the handle is hot. Sometimes you forget and get burned. I put the TM server in the DMZ to get another app to work, FORGETTING the need to put up a software firewall. When I did this, I caught myself a trojan. The trojan would have the pc dial out and give our IP number (even when it got changed) to a whole series of other IP numbers and we ended up sharing our bandwidth. The trojan also disabled anti-virus software to avoid detection. It's all sorted now, but it was why our 1500 mb down, 160 mb up DSL line was getting only ~500 down and (at the worst) 20 mb up. At the worst, I got pings in TM of >21,000 (and got a place on the Lord of the Pings page )
My recommendation: if you are still having ping issues and you can't blame your 28 k connection, use some good hunting techniques to see if you have a computer infection. www.grisoft.com has a free antivirus program that told me that the virus was there, but couldnt' do anything about it. Nortons/McAfee/ and a third AV (free) that I tried DIDN'T pick up the trojan!!

IP: