|
Author Topic:   Beginners Guide to TM
=DNX= Matrix
posted May 20, 2003 07:50 AM            
I decided after reading the last set of problems that we needed a single referable text to point newbie's to instead of constantly repeating ourselves about config files, firewalls and patching.... reffering older threads, searching etc..... so: here it is, enjoy.... if you feel you want to add anything, please do:

Beginners Guide to Treadmarks

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted May 22, 2003 06:54 PM            
You should get that linked on the TM main site.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 22, 2003 10:25 PM            
Im sure jim'll link in if he thinks it worthy - but thx for the vote of confidence

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 22, 2003 11:16 PM            
Matrix, my problem with it, so far, is that I still can't log on to your site without locking up my 'puter. One of these days I will actually redo my 'puter and then, hopefully, I won't have that problem.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

[This message has been edited by CyberCannon (edited May 22, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by CyberCannon (edited May 22, 2003).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 23, 2003 01:19 AM            
Just for you, Cyber, so you can read it, too
Copied from Matrix's post on the DMF Board:
So you just bought Treadmarks huh, having issues getting online games to work ? Heres a handy little walkthrough to help:

1. First and foremost, install the sukka from the CD, chances are its the version 1.5.5 CD by now. If some of the game doesnt install (textures etc, maybe you have a virus killer running thats checking each file and slowing the install, disable it and try again).

::: DO NOT RUN TREADMARKS BEFORE PATCHING FROM A CLEAN INSTALL :::

2. Ok, installed, cool... now we need to get you patched up, which means taking your 1.5.5 version, to 1.6.0 (if this causes mass problems, go back to step 1 and goto 1.5.9 instead, thyre both basicly the same but 1.6.0 can be very fiddly to install, 1.5.9 will allow you to play with 1.6.0 players, so no worries about compatibility, for this FAQ ill use 1.5.9 (ill cover 1.6.0 at the end just to keep it simple)).

Download the "1.5.5 to 1.5.9 Patch" ( Download Here ), ok run it, it will update you to 1.5.9 after looking at the registry to find out if you have a pirate version or not. DO NOT run the 1.5.6 / 1.5.7 / 1.5.8 patches, they are not needed anymore, you go right from 1.5.5 to 1.5.9. To make sure the patch has taken, when you run Treadmarks, you will see the version number at the top middle of the main menu.

::: IF YOU DONT HAVE A FIREWALL - SKIP STEP 3 :::

3. Ok, at 1.5.9 you can play online with the rest of us targets. So, lets cover the basics about connecting: First up you need to know if you have a FIREWALL (software or hardware that stops net traffic leaving or entering your pc without your express permission).

If you do - then we need to put Treadmarks into its rules BEFORE running the game, or you WILL get a connection error, followed by the game trying to check the website for an update, then timing out.

(NEVER HAVE A FIREWALL SET TO AUTOMATIC JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT UNDERSTAND IT)

Set to allow "UDP & TCP" "In & Out" to "Any Computer", then run these rules on 2 files in your install directory: "TM.EXE" and "TREADMARKS.EXE" - If you dont do this, chances are you will either see very high ping counts (high lag), or not be able to connect to any server at all.

NOTE: when you update the patch (patch up) Treadmarks or any game, you change the games EXE file/s, you may need to re-add the updated EXE to your firewall rules, this is to avoid doing an update then finding it wont work.

4. Ok, now at 1.5.9 with the firewall setup (or not), youre ready to connect for a game, so connect to the net and run Treadmarks. The first thing you will see is a small tool that lets you choose you type of computer and what graphics card you have. If youre on a top end graphics card with nice sound capabilities, choose GOD MODE, if not, go with NORMAL mode.

::: GRAPHICS CARD ALERT :::

Treadmarks WONT run on an ATI card (well most anyway) and the Voodoo 3+ cards without OpenGL; Nvidia cards have it built in as standard. If this is YOU, then you need to run a substitute for OpenGL called WickedGL ( Download Here ), this will enable Treadmarks to run on your ATI / Voodoo3+ graphics card. Or you can choose voodoo (glide as its known) if you have a system that old.

On this screen, you can also see the custom server, dont worry about that for now, and dont worry about it at all if youre a 56k / 128k user (modem or ISDN).

Ok - HIT LAUNCH !

5. You should see some fading in/out wobbly screens (the intro), if you dont - go check your graphics card drivers.... if you do, continue to the main menu, either withe the ESC key, the spacebar or tapping the left mouse button.

6. Check the games working ok - goto SINGLE PLAYER - you WILL need your game CD in the drive for this. Play through the training maps just to get a feeling for the game and to make sure the display is ok, you can change resolution, colours etc via the menu.

7. Ok, were ready now for online battles. Goto the main menu of the game and select the MULTIPLAYER option. Select your name, tank/team and flag.

Click on NEXT to goto the Server Screen.

8. Server Screen. Ok first up, if youre firewalls setup right you shouldnt have a problem here, if its not, you may be dumped to the desktop while the firewall asks for permission to access the net (see step 3 above). It may ask for files : "TM.EXE" - "ZLIB.DLL" - "MSS32.DLL", in all cases, ACCEPT, or this is as far as you go.

9. If alls ok this far, well done... dont worry, itll all be second nature in a couple of weeks. Look at the top of the screen, you will see a line telling you the MASTER SERVER IP ADDRESS, it should read: "206.222.78.159", if it doesnt, then change it, click on it, type in the correct one; press ENTER.

Click on REFRESH INTERNET

10. You should now be looking at a list of servers. The LDA server is STOCK ONLY, this means "what you have installed from the cd", the others will more than likly be modded servers. If you click on a server, you will be shown the information on that server at the bottom of the screen.

If you see "SSO" in there, it means Server Side Only, ie, you dont need to download any mod files in order to play on it, if it doesnt say "SSO", you will need the relevant files to play on it. For now, goto the LDA server,

click CONNECT.

11. As the game loads, you will be shown the LOADING MAPS message, aligning of entities will occur (dont worry this is normal).. Then you will see the map appear, this is followed by the master server downloading and updating all the crater/map damage so that you see what everyone else sees. When thats done, you will hear the sound of your tank, and you will drop onto the map - YOURE IN !

12. A word on pickups : weapons appear randomly at set spawnpoints unlike quake or bz where one weapon is always in the same place. Grey ammo boxes add to your standard tank shells, spanners are a repair and gold boxes will boost your weapon pickup ammo.

13. A note on game etiquette: Fragging a newly appeared tank (spawning) is frowned upon by most everyone, plz try not to do it... good players will acknowledge each other and back away in opposite directions before commencing a fight. The game has 1 really badly balanced weapon, the SHADOW... reloading it with gold boxes, again is considered bad by the better part of the gaming community, for clan matches this weapon is often removed.... use it by all means, but try not to reload, once or twice can be acceptable, keeping it all the game will get you a good shouting at, and
you wont make any friends by acting like a power turd

14. A note on Mods: Mods more often than not come in the form of a ZIP file, to unpack them you will need WINZIP (www.winzip.com) some may be in ACE format too, so you may need WINACE (www.winace.com). There should be a README.TXT file in with mods, if so - read it - if not follow these steps for best results.

1 - Put a tick in the "USE FOLDER NAMES" option before you unpack anything.

2 - DONT, highlight the files and drag em into a folder, it wont work.

3 - DO check to see if the mod has been saves WITH PATHS (folder names)

4 - If so, highlight all, click EXTRACT, and point to your TREADMARKS folder; (where the TM.exe is located) ie: c:\games\treadmarks\

5 - Winzip will put ANY mods into an ADDONS folder. It will make one if there isnt already one. You shouldnt get an overwrite warning, but if you do - check with the mod author.

Mods come in several types : Maps, Weapons, Tanks, Skins, HUD, Fonts.

These are all installable and enhance gameplay. The other kind of mod is the TGR (Total Game Replacement), these mods will change TM completely into for all intents and purposes, another game. STORMRACER is one thats out, BATTLEZONE and BABYLON 5:GROPOS are in the works. For those type of mods, you can almost guarentee there will be more complex instructions, so look for the README.TXT files before installing.

15. Lastly, Feedback. Mod authors work hard to bring you the best gaming experience possible, with innovative tanks, nw eyecandy weapons and awesome map designs, feedback will always be appreciated good or bad - without that, everything feels like a shot in the dark and its guesswork as to weather or not people actually play, use or enjoy them; so plz give feedback whenever possible / asked for.

Things to look out for:

Haunted House Map
Domination Maps (annoying as hell but great for team games)
Pool Table Map
ENTegrity (for making sure mods are ok b4 release)
BoomStick Joes (for checking servers and logs)
TMEDB (entity database manager)
M/C (LDA's Master Client - looks at servers, but is very buggy)
Anarchy Server pack + Patch (100% original maps inc DOMINATION Mode)
Summa Wrestling (Gold Ants Sumo Mod)
ModPicker (lets you choose what mods you want running)
Sunday DDM (Deathmatch's from 8pm EST Every Sunday)
Armageddon Server (If you like gettin ur ass kicked, try it lol))
Clan Nights
Tournaments

If you decide you want to take TM to the next step, there are several modding tutorials available, just ask

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going To 1.6.0

You need to take a couple of steps to do this, if youre already at 1.5.9 just do the last bit.

1.5.5 to 1.5.9: Download and run this file. http://www.gamesdomain.com/patches/t/3137.html

1.5.9 to 1.6.0: Download this file (DONT RUN IT YET, Read on First) http://www.gamesdomain.com/patches/t/3655.html

Step 1: Copy your "Config.CFG" file (2k) to your desktop.
Step 2: Run The 1.5.9 to 1.6.0 Patch
Step 3: Copy the config file on your desktop, BACK overwriting any changes.

(Config.CFG is in your Treadmarks Install folder ( c:\games\treadmarks\config.cfg)

If you did that last bit right, you should now be version 1.6.0 - Run Treadmarks and check, the version number is at the top middle of the main menu.

Recap of Links:

1.5.5 to 1.5.9 Patch : http://www.gamesdomain.com/patches/t/3137.html

1.5.9 to 1.6.0 Patch : http://www.gamesdomain.com/patches/t/3655.html

WickedGL Driver : http://www.3dnews.ru/old_files/pub/www.3dnews.ru/drivers/3dfx/wgl_reg.ex e

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 23, 2003 05:23 PM            
Danke Sue,
I copied it to a word Doc so that I have it available.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 23, 2003 11:04 PM            
Beyond sugesting the java version and browser plus allowing cookies ive no clue why u lock up - ur the only one left i havent solved (to my knowing anyway) - nobody else has let me know if they are having issues.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 24, 2003 01:07 AM            
Matrix, I suspect that it is more likely to be something in my own 'puter.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

harmless
posted May 24, 2003 01:26 AM            
i'm curious, matrix, about the voodoo3 and ATI video cards....

don't mock me too much but
my current computer has a voodoo3 3000, other computers i've owned had voodoo3 3000 cards,
(using the standard 3dfx drivers)
and whenever i upgraded, i always use an ATI card, (for the price, the all-in-wonder cards can't be beat)
and i've never had a problem with treadmarks, single game or online. in fact, i prefer ATI cards over nvidia.

maybe i've just been lucky... i also don't load up my compter with other graphic intensive games.

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 24, 2003 12:34 PM            
Dunno man... most of the above is a "just in case this happens" measure. I used to own an all-in-wonder pro, i had so many problems with it i swore id never go ATI again. And since going nVidia, ive never looked back. I know TM didnt run on my old ATI, my m8 Bo had a Vodoo3000 TM didnt run on that either, when he went nvidia TM suddenly run, and thats where i first saw the game.... course that was a few years ago... maybe drivers got better, (standard drivers by definition are given out on the cd, but you still get updated versions depending on the build date) i dont use one anymore to check but the feedback would be great... if we can now add that "if you have upto date drivers tm should run no problem" it would be a bonus

Voodoo were bought out by nVidia btw, and voodoo tech is being integrated into the next gen of boards, this should produce some interesting results.

As for ATI - well, i know one powers the gamecube, the hardware is top notch, ive absolutely no doubt of that, but while they have the rep for programming abysmal drivers i wont be using one anytime soon. My next card ? the FX range nVidia... but b4 i do that, i gotta upgrade the motherboard n ram to a 266 FSB ASUS setup.... upgrades upgrades upgrades - Muhahahaha

Mock you ? - never Im happy to edit the information if you feel its wrong in some way I havent been ATI for the longest time now, in fact all the time ive been here, ive been nvidia... The common goal at the end of the day is to provide a useful upto date guide for noobs that come this way So broad testing of any GFX Cards and its feedback is always appreciated

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited May 24, 2003).]

IP:

harmless
posted May 25, 2003 09:24 PM            
well... with the mocking part... i was trying to be a bit humorous since my main video card is a voodoo3... and certain siblings wonder outloud sometimes when i will be dragged into the 21st century

i guess what i'll do here is just relate my experiences with the video cards i have used...

all of my experiences have been with winders98, i don't have nor do i use winders2000 or windersXP, nor will i ever use them. i'll switch to a mac before i make them my main OS, but i'll always have a winders98 box around so i can play treadmarks

from my experience and from what i've done in the past (ok that's redundant).... computers for myself or my parents or other siblings..
i've used these video cards: voodoo3 2000, voodoo3 3000, ATI AIW rage pro 128, ATI radeon 7000, ATI radeon 7200, ATI radeon AIW 7500

all i have ever done is install winders98se, do certain system updates, like MDAC, DCOM, viual basic runtimes, install the drivers for
sound cards and NICs, and then i stick in the cdrom that came with the video card, and install the video drivers from the enclosed cdrom.

once i adjust the display resolution to an acceptable 1280x1024, i install treadmarks, and i use treadmarks as a way to test the new install. the game has always played well. only then am i happy with the computer install.

it's not like i do anything special, or go get newer drivers, i've just never had problems with treadmarks playing. it works, so i leave it alone.

but then, treadmarks is the only game that my computer ever gets (well... almost), diablo, hellfire, and diablo2 are the only other games that get installed, which is why i mention it because i'm sure that other people load up their computers with various forms of other games that are extremely graphics intensive, and each game company does their own thing, and that might be causing problems with TM and the way it needs to render the game. who knows really, i don't, it's just a thought.

but like i said, this is with winders98. your mileage will mostly likely vary with win2K or winXP, since i have no idea what they are like. the processors that i use are always AMD, and my motherboard preferences are ABIT and Shuttle.

well, i'm not sure if this is helpful or not, one reason i stayed away from nVidia deals with one of my siblings experience. he has a newer computer, bought a geforce3 TI200, and it would not work until he updated his motherboard BIOS, which to me, is too much work... i should not have to update a BIOS on a newer system to install a video card... but that's just me. the ATI cards that i have used have always worked with the computer systems i come in contact with, both newer ones and older ones.

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 25, 2003 10:03 PM            
Updating the BIOS just means that new settings can now be applied that make the new vid card better .... patching is a doddle, but maybe a bit on the techie side since like rped and fdisk its a dos based app.

As for:

quote:
i'm sure that other people load up their computers with various forms of other games that are extremely graphics intensive, and each game company does their own thing, and that might be causing problems with TM and the way it needs to render the game

I agree with ya 100% here, DNX Blackdeath has TM and simply cant play it, he has several other games installed see, ive once had him in tm, but only once, its never worked since....

Ill take your card experiances and ammed the text - thx again for the excellent feedback Id gift you with a karma point but these forums dont support it :\

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 26, 2003 01:51 AM            
I can vouch for harmless. He has plenty of good Karma already

IP:

harmless
posted May 26, 2003 06:14 AM            
thank you matrix...

this is more of an after thought, than anything else. i do know that video cards can be a bloody royal pain.

a couple of years ago, the engineers at my work needed new computers, an important part is their video card, since they do alot of 3d modelling and CAD drawings. they use an older HP cadjet plotter, and we had to spend several hundred dollars on special drivers for the plotter just so they could print.

i tried ATI cards and cards with S3 chipsets, and every time they went to use the plotter, their computer would freeze up. then i tried the 3dLabs permedia3 create cards, and they worked just fine. so i actually bought a 3dlabs permedia3 card for home, and it made for a lousy home video card.... treadmarks barely ran on it and other games did not fair much better, and i was trying all the updated drivers that 3dLabs had for them.

anyway, video cards can be a huge time sink,
if you find one brand that works, stick with it and count your blessings.

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 26, 2003 11:34 AM            
hehe i remember when S3 was "the latest standard" and i remember being jealous of some1 i know that had it lol....

Since nvidia ive not looked back, no bug issues, no problems (with the exception of no tv output) no driver issues and everything runs Its only an old GeForce 2Ti as well, not at all modern standards, but its still happy running modern games

Incidently, the competition on DMF is to win a game that relies on GeForce 3 type card which supports hardware T+L Its happy with other cards of course, but its best run on the gf3, (optimised see).

Hehehe, CAD, when i did CAD it was on an old Olivetti M24 mono system with Pathcad lol... Autocad was in its infancy lol. No mouse to be had and co-ords were typed in, man were those lessons long lol.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 26, 2003 12:03 PM            
Matrix, I avoided nvidia when I upgraded my video card due to the trouble I have read about, more than a few of them on your board from some of your mates, and went with the Radeon 8500 and have never regretted it. I had no desire to have to do as much fiddling around with my card as you seemed to be having to do for some of your buddies. TM runs great on my vid card and it worked OK, sort of, on my old nvidia TNT.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 26, 2003 03:19 PM            
Which incidents are you reffering to CC... i have no recollections of ppl having much bother with nvidia - only ppl who needed pointing at wickedgl in order to run the game.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 26, 2003 04:09 PM            
Unfortunately I can't get on your board, though some of it I believe may have been on this one or Par's (I don't think that it was all on the same board), to be able to search it out and be specific. The main cards that were giving trouble, as I remember, were the GE T400s I believe, is that the right number/name? Oh and by the way you weren't having to "fix" all of them, though you did have some good advice for most of them.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

KONG
posted May 26, 2003 04:11 PM            
I have been using ATI since I started playing TM

rage pro 8mb

radeon 16mb

radeon 7000 32mb

radeon 7200 32mb

radeon 7500 64mb

They all worked right out of the box except the rage pro which needed a little mixing and matching of driver files in order to get it to work nicely.

------------------
Qersys

Ut sementem feceris ita metes

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 26, 2003 09:04 PM            
@ Kong.. thx man, ill update the table of ok cards in the article

@ CC.. I went round to fix DrDark's GeForce card cos XP was always crashin and we put it down to the GFX card... ultimately that wasnt the issue. Sue had probs with her old card so we put wickedgl on and she recons it was better than b4... cant remember the card name tho. Other than that i recon ya must be thinking of some1 else, i recall no other problems, save my own, TM was crashing after 20 mins or so - and that was due to CPU overheat.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 26, 2003 09:39 PM            
My Old Card was a voodoo 3. I got the couldn't open GL rendering context, or some similar error message and updating the driver to wicked GL (after NOT being able to run with the most recent Voodoo3 driver) did the trick. My second vid card problem was 1) a bad vid card installed in the first place and then 2) the sound drivers interfering with the vid drivers on my new ATI card which is working peachy, thanks

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 27, 2003 12:48 PM            
Might easily be Matrix, I don't remember the incidents clearly enough to be sure.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP: