|
Author Topic:   Race Ladder: When, How many laps, Where
posted April 29, 2003 01:30 AM            
HELP! These need some thought.

When: I have not the foggiest clue for the race time. Possibly Friday or Saturday???? Not sure here.

How many laps: For the weekly races, I would use 2 laps. Each race averages around 7 minutes from start to finish. That would mean 8 races in an hour. Will need to use a larger server for the quarterly races. The quarterly races should be longer like 4 to 8 laps.

Where: Well, I would be willing to use our server for the weekly racing, but I can only have 4 tanks on at a time. Actually, this might be fine to start. I do not know what the interest will be, thus a smaller server would do fine.

IP:

posted May 02, 2003 12:57 AM            
People...I need help here.

I will use my server to start with, thus only 4 tanks can race, 5 if I come on the LAN.

The race will be 2 laps with 1 min before and after rest to allow for the capture of the screen shots and for people time to syncing into the game.

What I need help with is the time and day of the week. I would figure around 5PM PST (8PM EST). And I guess Saturday nites. Let me know what you all think.

I am willing to get this going in less than 2 weeks time once the board and built and the rules are laid out. But I need feedback.

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited May 02, 2003).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 02, 2003 02:56 AM            
David, honey, pacific time is 3 hours behind eastern time, so 8 eastern is 5 pacific, not 6

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 02, 2003 03:57 PM            
Trust the better half to correct us huh David.

Sorry forgot this part. Timing sounds fine to me.
------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

[This message has been edited by CyberCannon (edited May 02, 2003).]

IP:

Teulk
posted May 03, 2003 12:21 AM            
I think that we need more laps to make the race a bit more challenging. If it's only AI's, that's one thing, but with all the "off radar" possibilities, there should be more of a chance to overcome..
Just MHO...

There could be a rotation of sorts If there are too many people, ...or go by clans..sort of a round robin deal..ideas, ideas...what more can there be...the possibilities are endless..

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited May 03, 2003).]

IP:

posted May 03, 2003 12:55 AM            
Well...just looked at Killer's and DMF's calendar. Looks like Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are free.

I am in favor of Thursday.

IP:

posted May 03, 2003 01:47 AM            
I hear you Teulk, if my server could hold more people then I would consider more than 2 laps. Let's see what happens. The 2 laps make a race that will not tolerate mistake and ends quickly. The ladder is to 100; therefore, it will take 20 1st place finishes to get there. I was hoping for a quick turn over of the races to reach the 100 mark within 6 weeks.

As for the rotation, yeah I know something needs to be done. There are 2 possibilities:
- One pre-registers for a race day and get to race that hour.
- Whoever comes in 1st has to leave to let someone else come in.

Both have problems. Pre-registering requires someone to do the legwork to organize it. The one with the 1st place finisher leaving requires someone to tell the next person that a spot is open.

I am inclined to be 1st come 1st served. With the set limit of 16 points within the race hour and then one has to leave. How do you enforce it and is it fair to make someone leave when they are in the groove.

Sooooo…I think I will just leave it as 1st come 1st served. Then post a thread to see how many people wanted to race. If it becomes popular, I could have an addition race time during the week or seek a larger server that can accommodate more racers.

Honest opinion…there will be little interest in racing. Just look at all the servers that are up. I am the only one with a race server. I am hoping that people will gradually become interested and want to try it.

IP:

Teulk
posted May 03, 2003 03:24 AM            
Well, count me in. Racing seems to have caught on with me right now..

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 03, 2003 12:24 PM            
Me too, even when the AIs keep frying me from behind.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

posted May 08, 2003 01:22 AM            
Ok...I will set it up for Thursday at 5PM PST. I hope to get it going for next week.

IP:

posted May 12, 2003 12:55 AM            
Yep...it's a go.

Day - Every Thursday
When - 5 PM PST
Where - Race Ladder
How many - 4 players

The rest will be in the rules.
I apoligizes to the European crowd. I know that race time is 1 AM in the morning. Not sure what to do about it, and I am sorry. If this is successful, maybe someone across the pond can setup a similar arrangement. I would be more than happy to supply all the files.

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited May 12, 2003).]

IP:

Teulk
posted May 12, 2003 02:37 AM            
Won't be there this Thursday, as I am working nights...hopefully a date will become available when I am as well!!

IP:

posted May 12, 2003 11:49 PM            
Ok...I am willing to hold it on Saturday morning...around 10AM PST...is this any better. THis could also be another race time. Once during the week and one on the weekend. Need some feedback.

And the race ladder will still be held this Thursday

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 13, 2003 03:52 AM            
Having it twice a week, one weekday and one weekend, might be a good idea. That would allow a greater flexibility for sceduleing.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP: