This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Race ladder...it's about time
posted April 27, 2003 03:34 AM            
Not sure how to set this up...but I would like to start a race ladder competition similar to the DDM and Clan ladder. I need some advice. Kind of tired right on...I'll post later what I think it should be and when the competition are. Or if anyone wants...just post away.

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 27, 2003 11:10 AM            
Now that the calendar is in place at DMF we can schedule regular events easy enough, im happy to host the ladder for you if you wish

Coax's method of 1st 2nd 3rd is good tho so i wouldnt attempt to change that formula

Same game but no shooting

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 27, 2003 11:11 AM            
Boomstick Joes can deliver the results after an events gaming and we can use a spreadsheet to update the ladder - just transfer the details in, do the math and transfer the update to the web

IP:

coaxs
posted April 27, 2003 04:45 PM            
The ladder should also be modeled similarly to the one that TM comes with. But if you don't participate you slip a notch on the ladder.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 27, 2003 05:18 PM            
I already have the data. I can easily just query it to return the results you need in whatever format you want. Going thru the trouble of puting this into a spreadsheet is a lot more time consuming

ANd it would instantly availible at the end of the match, automatically updated, and did I mention it can do all that and make coffee?

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited April 27, 2003).]

IP:

posted April 29, 2003 12:31 AM            
I want this to be something that all can agree to. I agree with Coax that the ladder should be structured as the existing TM ladder. This thread should be the place to discuss the ladder structure and how the results are scored and posted. However, we also need to set the rules of the race, the weapons to be used, maps to be used, and a server to do the racing. I will start a new thread for the race rules, weapons, and server/maps.

All comments are welcomed. Designing the Race ladder should be fun the take TM in a direction it deserves.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 29, 2003 08:58 AM            
The data resides on a database so I can easily create a view for it in whatever format you want, however you want.
I would need mockup of what it is to look like,and the rules for the ladder to generate the results.

IP:

posted April 29, 2003 09:42 AM            
thx Killer and Matrix for the help.

I see the ladder result having 2 different parts. The ladder of the individual wins and lap/race times.

I have noticed that TM tracks the fastest lap for a race and also the overall race time. I would want to track that info for all 35 maps and post the info for people to compare.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 29, 2003 10:19 AM            
hmm. best lap is a problem as TM dosn't log when a lap is complete. :/

Race time is no problem. I know how long the race and race wins ia obviously no prob.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited April 29, 2003).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 29, 2003 01:35 PM            
Ok, well im setting up the ladders pages next week, so if you, killer and coax decide on the format ill get it sorted. Ive not seen the current race ladder structure tho so ill need some input on how to lay the page out, or if i should crate an iframe same as dmf for killers ladder to load into - all is very doable... just let me know

Thats supposing of course the ladder is held at dmf, coaxes site is a great choice too since he hosts the ddm ladders.

Then again you could just link to a page killer prepares....

It sounds kinda in the air - but willing to help out however needed

IP:

posted April 29, 2003 08:04 PM            
Killer can you look at it again. When you race there is a lap clock at the top/middle of the screen. And then when you win it picks the fastest lap that you did and post it also in the top middle of your screen. Therefore, I would think that TM engine is tracking that data. Just need to find out where it is storing the info.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 29, 2003 09:31 PM            
Maybe in memory with all the other stuff???

IP:

posted April 30, 2003 02:48 AM            
ok...I do not know how a race ladder structure works...could someone clue me in?

IP:

coaxs
posted April 30, 2003 05:26 AM            
TM Ladders will probably only host DM based ladder system just for convenience and to not monopolize.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 30, 2003 09:11 AM            
The race times are reported on your screen, but it is not written into the log file. TM kicks out timestamps every 6-7 seconds, and it puts out 'xxx has won the race' in the log file. Putting the two together I can get a race time within 6-7 seconds of the actual end of the race. But TM doesn't log when a person completes a lap.

IP:

posted May 01, 2003 09:37 AM            
The TM ladder starts one off in the 100th place and awards points for
your placement. Once one reaches the 1st place then one wins that
ladder. The points are more generous in the beginning and less towards
the end, which is 1st place.

I think that the ladder structure could be similar except the points
would build to 100. For example, in a race of 4 tanks the points would
be awarded as follows:

1st gets 3 points
2nd gets 2 points
3rd gets 1 point
4th gets none

The 1st place points would always be one less than the number of tanks
competing.

Once you reach 100 points you start over again at zero. The number of
100 points would be kept track of as the overall count. I would still
like to have the fastest time for each map. Forget the lap time if it
is too hard to get.

The stats to keep would be:

Overall, the number of 100 point places a person has received.
Current ladder status of the players.
Best race time per map listing the player and time.

Let me know what you all think.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 01, 2003 10:15 AM            
No prob on the fastest race time. But I won't be able to tell who came in 2nd or 3rd. TM Just doesn't log that info.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 01, 2003 01:04 PM            
The only real way to get times are to have people take pictures of their lap times.

IP:

posted May 01, 2003 11:43 PM            
Just means that someone...probably me...will have to take screen shoots to get all of place holdings. Which is OK because I thought I had to do that anyway.

So does that sound ok with eveyone?????

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 02, 2003 03:03 AM            
Well, David, our server is log scanned, so you wouldnt' have to take screen shots if there is a way to mine the data from the TM logs. All you have to do is set up an event on the boomstickjoes site (btw, Joey, is there a way so that both David's (666's) and my log in to "my boomstick" could access the gapractice server? Right now it is set up under my log in, but I don't mind if he has access to the server, too. If you can't do it, I just might share my log in information with him
Screen shots shouldn't take a whole minute to take, unless you do them manually with the alt + print screen page. I thought you had "snag it" installed on your pc so that you can take a series of screen shots without having to paste the pic into another application. You might need the time for synching, but you can also release a server pack, too, which would help with that problem

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 02, 2003 04:56 AM            
It's easy fer people to set TM to take pictures fer them.

Open yer config.cfg file and add the following lines:

#Animation frame saving. (F12)
AnimDir = c:\TempShots\tank
AnimFPS = 1

Now when you want to take a quick picture, just tap the F12 key twice. Instant picture!

As a reminder, you should be in full screen mode and not windowed. If you are in a windowed mode, it will take the picture based on the original resolution before you expanded the window. In other words, you'll only get a portion of the screen...

Have fun!!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 02, 2003 09:16 AM            
Sue: all 666 needs to do is add the server to his account just like you did. I don't prevent multiple people from adding a server to admin.

666: if you send me a full race server log, I can look through it to see if there is anything else in there I can pick up.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 02, 2003 11:03 AM            
^^^ Way cool BZP. PS I did start reading some of the modders forum, but didn't get too far (yet) Thanks!!!

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 02, 2003 11:07 AM            
Ahh, and good to know that Killer. I'll tell him (or he will read) that he can set it up himself. Great !!! Ahh, to have all my wishes granted so easily

IP:

posted May 08, 2003 01:30 AM            
Still having problems with the GA Server. Will look at it and test this week to get rid of the glitches. Having problems with the TM log scan. If need be will only use screen shoots to get the results but not the race times.

I have been practicing in getting the screen shoots in less than 30 seconds.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2