coaxs
posted April 16, 2003 03:14 PM            

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted April 16, 2003 03:50 PM            
Hopefully that will change. We've just signed with eGames to have them publish Tread Marks version 1.6 into the US

Adrenaline Vault did a nice news piece on us as well.
http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=4142003-0467

When we started looking over Tread Marks we couldn't help but notice how difficult it must be for some players to get into the game. To help that transition we've put the training maps under a separate menu heading and updated the launcher. The demo now has these changes (training maps added).

Jim

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted April 16, 2003 08:27 PM            
Allow me to say that they did a nice article - I hope it helps build the community some more and I am glad to see that you have a publisher again for the game - good show.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted April 16, 2003 09:16 PM            
YES! A light at the end of the tunnel!

IP:

mr.BIG
posted April 16, 2003 09:51 PM         
I've had no problem with players showing up when I log onto LDA or sometimes Robo's clan map server. And I'm Guido the killer pimp hehe . Speaks volumes I guess . ***EDIT - assumption out*** Am an avid and much played against player . Go figure hehe ....Fun

------------------
Give Me Ambiguity .............Or .......Give Me Something Else !!!

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited April 17, 2003).]

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted April 16, 2003 09:56 PM            
*lights "guido the killer pimp" on fire*

I am so sick of rappers high on their own egos!

IP:

Irascible
posted April 16, 2003 11:21 PM            
It's no mystery at all Guido. Everyone loves destroying a villain - even if the villain is an easy target. It's a lot like the Iraqi regime: pathetically easy to kill yet imminently satisfying nonetheless.

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted April 17, 2003 09:45 AM            
Just as well they did`nt have any weapons of mass destruction else we would have been in trouble : )

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 17, 2003 09:54 AM            
There's tons of it on the servers...especially the Armageddon server!

IP:

mr.BIG
posted April 18, 2003 08:34 PM         
Wow Ras is callin the kettle black . now that's a real villan , don't get me wrong there is a place for my Moriarity chum hehe .
I think he and I would be hard to beat in a 2 on 2 matchup , him being so ruthless , and me the mercy killer hehe I and Tiger clean up as a team , I'm just a wise old killer pimp , and Tiger is a guy who needs my services ............. go figure hehe

------------------
Give Me Ambiguity .............Or .......Give Me Something Else !!!

IP:

SA
posted August 19, 2003 11:19 PM         
I just purchased the re-released version of TreadMarks from eGames at Best Buy. I used to have a copy of the original TreadMarks release from three years ago, but I lost it along with a lot of my old games and wanted to get a replacement.

Looking at this new version, the CD-ROM does not have any audio CD tracks on it. If my memory is correct, didn't the original release have audio tracks on the CD-ROM, i.e. it was a mixed-mode CD? If so, does anyone have MP3 versions of those tracks I can download or is there some other way I can get them?

IP:

posted August 20, 2003 12:59 AM            
The music can be redownloaded here: http://www.tbhccs.com/treadmarks/music/tm-music-index.html Enjoy!

IP:

SA
posted August 20, 2003 04:22 AM         
That's not the same music, is it? Those files are also in the sound\music subdirectory, and they are fairly low-quality 128Kbs MP3's (Ambient_one.mp3 pops/crackles something fierce).

What I am talking about are audio CD tracks that I believe are on the v1.01 release of the Tread Marks CD-ROM. If these are MP3 versions of the same tracks, does anyone still have an old game CD-ROM to make some better quality MP3's from these tracks, preferably at 192Kbps or better?

IP:

Paranor
posted August 20, 2003 08:16 AM            
woah. Treadmarks at Best Buy? Who woulda thunk it.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 20, 2003 12:34 PM            
well unless you want to listen to them outside of the game...you're out of luck ver 1.01 used wav files (fairly large as I recall), ver 1.6 uses mp3's at 128kbs. so even if you had the old files tm wouldn't (AFAIK) use them for background music.

IP:

SA
posted August 20, 2003 05:16 PM         
quote:

even if you had the old files tm wouldn't (AFAIK) use them for background music.

True, but the old WAV files could be converted into higher quality MP3's than the 128Kbps versions available now which don't sound very good.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted August 20, 2003 06:17 PM            
this is wonderful news for advetising and promoting, but something in that article supplied by Jim says something to me...

...maybe, if but a small hand, should go to the community for keeping alive such a game and developing a wonderful mix of people from both sides of the atlantic.

IP:

harmless
posted August 20, 2003 06:31 PM            
i'm afraid that you are out of luck with getting a higher quality of music, if that is your desire.

this is the readme.txt file inside of the music folder (where the .wav files are) in the original install of TM v1.0.1

TM music readme.txt file:

To add your own music to Tread Marks, just save the song
as a 44,100 hz, 8-bit, mono, PCM WAVE file, and place it
in this directory. The game should automatically detect
and play the file. You can also remove any existing
music files you'd rather not hear in the random rotation,
or temporarily disable them by changing their file
extension to something other than .WAV. Speeds other
than 44/8 also work (such as 22,050 hz, 16-bit), but
currently the sound files MUST BE MONO!

*end*

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

SA
posted August 21, 2003 06:06 AM         
ouch! 8-bit mono it quite bad even if it is 44Khz.

Do you have the v1.01 CD-ROM? Are there audio CD tracks on it, i.e. put it in an audio cd player or try to play it in the Windows media player and see if it has music tracks after the data track?

If there are audio tracks on the CD, those could be ripped into higher quality MP3's and played in the game since Miles library can certainly play high quality MP3's.

IP:

harmless
posted August 22, 2003 04:06 AM            
i browsed the v1.0.1 cdrom
and there are no "audio" tracks on it.
[[ those that have a .cdda extension ]]
sorry 'bout that.
there's not much on it.... the install program
for TM, directX7, glsetup, and some demos.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 22, 2003 04:24 AM            
on the gripping hand consider what else is going on when the music plays, bombs going off, guns firing etc. not to mention one doesn't want to drown out those directional cues as to where your opponents are. that said before I reinstalled everything I used to have some custom tracks (ac/dc, wagner)

IP:

posted August 22, 2003 11:02 AM            
We at our household have turn off the music to stop the lag that occurs when the music switches. Also, if you are very serious about the game, you need to hear all the small noises in the background to figure out your next move. Yes, Rex you are correct.

------------------
Race Hard...Race Fair...See You at the Race Line

IP:

CyberCannon
posted August 22, 2003 01:59 PM            
I use those sounds quite a bit, it doesn't always help me BUT........ I use them. I turned off the music though for the simple reason that it annoyed me, partially because I couldn't hear the other game sounds.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted August 22, 2003 07:56 PM            
I have the music turned off al the time with winamp in the background.

IP:

SA
posted August 24, 2003 06:22 PM         
quote:

i browsed the v1.0.1 cdrom
and there are no "audio" tracks on it.
[[ those that have a .cdda extension ]]
sorry 'bout that.
there's not much on it.... the install program
for TM, directX7, glsetup, and some demos.

You will not see the audio files in the directory listing on a mixed-mode CD. If you want to tell if the audio tracks are there, open the CD in a CD-RW authoring program like Nero and choose "medium info" or open the CD-ROM in Winamp or Media Player and see if there are tracks after the first track which is data.

So, will you please check the CD again?

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 24, 2003).]

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2