|
Author Topic:   If you get bored, check out my game server and give me feedback.
Irascible
posted April 15, 2003 02:19 AM            
It's the 70 weapons & powerups server. Yes, there is actually 70 different weapons and powerups at this moment. I didn't make any of them. I did modify most of them a little and few of them a lot. All the weapons are server side in hopes that more people will try them. (It's stock maps now.) Please switch to stock flags. It's on a cable modem. More than 4 clients will probably get laggy. What I'd like to know:

-Are there any weapons that aren't working correctly?
So far there's been 3 that I took out because they had problems.

-Are there any weapons that are too powerful?
By that I'm referring to frag count and not ease of frag. Many weapons will get you very easy frags. But my goal was for no weapon to yield more than 2 or 3 frags on average. Some like the nukes can obviously get you a lot more. On average they won't. Even the wave motion cannon rarely gets you more than two or three. I've modified weapons like fiery chaos and shadow to meet that goal.

-Are there any weapons that are too weak?
Which ones do you just dump and why?

-Are there any weapons that cause noticeable lag?
Certain weapons like the shatter missile, volcano, shotgun, dragaonflies, etc were just horrible. I made some changes to those and others to keep lag manageable. Keep in mind that an older computer will seem laggy just because your frames per second will drop significantly under certain circumstances with those mods (wave motion cannon, etc). It's been relatively good for people playing relatively late. I have no idea what pings are like during other times of the day.

-Did I leave any fire and forget weapons in there?
The idea was to not have any weapons that will get you a frag from half the map over by just camping. For example, the cruise missle is now much faster and short lived. So you have to aim to some extent and not be too close or too far away. Air strike is now an unguided carpet bomber that lays a square path of destruction in front of you. The nuke is unguided, has a sight and is twice as powerful. Etc.

Any other criticism will at least be appreciated, if not heeded.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited April 17, 2003).]

IP:

CyberCannon
posted April 15, 2003 11:49 AM            
I enjoyed the heck out of it last night. I enjoy the 1/2 sized flower power, or the hippie nuke, quite a bit , even if it can be somewhat frustrating.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted April 15, 2003 04:23 PM            
Lets see if I can make the quote thing work...

quote:
Even the wave motion cannon rarely gets you more than two or three [frags].

Not when I use it! LOL! Of course, I can only use it in single player and I play with 20 AIs.

You may want to reconsider the Wave Motion Cannon. Before I got my new gfx card, Firing that brought my fps down to about 1.5. And I had a 64 Mb card (I think). I understand that some people here have weaker ones.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted April 15, 2003 04:27 PM            
YES! It worked!

IP:

Irascible
posted April 16, 2003 02:36 PM            
For Black Knight and whoever else:
http://www.tbhccs.com/treadmarks/tm-clan-maps/all-in-one-tm-clan-maps.zip

IP:

John B.
posted April 16, 2003 03:30 PM         
Add the web link to the maps in the URL link for the server. This let's people who try to get on know where to get the required mods directly, without having to know about this site.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 16, 2003 04:25 PM            
Hey Irascible! Want to add the server to the LogScan list?

Just EMail me(webmaster@boomstickjoes.com) the server name, IP, port, description, and a choice of password, and I'll help you get set up.

IP:

Irascible
posted April 16, 2003 11:08 PM            
Done John. If I decide I'm going to keep the server up long term, I'll do that Killer. At this point it's just an experiment and a novelty.

It seems like most things mod end up dying off and everyone ends up back on LDA. My theory has been that mods dye because they require special downloads and/or a separate install and/or cause the game to be too dependent on luck (which makes people like me unhappy ) and/or the mod is curious but ineffective. I've tried to address those things. So if this server remains popular, then maybe. Of course, "popular" is a relative term being that the game in general is on life support.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 17, 2003 10:47 AM            
Sounds good, just let me know when you decide to keep it up. I'm always on the look out to put more servers under my dominion .... errr ... on the service.

Not only does downloads turn some people off, alot of players don't even know they need to dl anything. I've always checked in on the log scan server list and notice alot of seemingly new players jump on server after server, not being able to connect because of map load failures. (These guys show up on the server's player list with a time of less than 5 mins with no frags and 1 or more deaths). They enevitably end up on a stock server. Which is why the server status page allows hyper links to files and longer discriptions. But unless new players know about TMLogScan, the information is useless.

The people who have dl'd the server packs and want to play on modded servers get bored as they don't have other people to play with. I was hoping the chart on the server status list would show high traffic times on each server and players would use that to find the time when people are usually on that particular server. But again, if people don't know about it, then it's pretty much a moot point.

If TM was a bit smarter, and there was a way of a server op to specify a URL to the map files, it can give a more descriptive message with the specified URL instead of the non-descript 'Map Load Failure' which to a new player is utterly confusing.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited April 17, 2003).]

IP:

Irascible
posted April 17, 2003 08:05 PM            
So among other things, I'm getting from you the idea that maybe I should run stock maps.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 17, 2003 09:38 PM            
Yeap. Ever since I put custom maps on Armageddon, the play rate dropped way down. :/

Gonna put back the stock maps soon. A pity though, the clan maps do make it more exciting.

IP:

KONG
posted April 17, 2003 11:06 PM            
Make a download of your mods too for dialup people. 300+ ents take a while to sync.

------------------
Qersys

Ut sementem feceris ita metes

IP:

CyberCannon
posted April 18, 2003 12:04 AM            
I don't mind the sync time actually, I also have the clan maps already, but that is me.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

Irascible
posted April 18, 2003 12:16 AM            
I've switched to stock maps. As powerful as a lot of the mods are, frags will still come quite easy. And since I've reduced weapon cratering to about a tenth of normal, rutting won't be a problem.

I'll make a download once I've decided I'm mostly done tweaking. I still need weapon comments! Help me make them better.

IP:

posted April 18, 2003 03:01 AM            
Yo...will have to check it out...just back from Hawai'i and anxious to play.

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

posted April 18, 2003 06:58 AM            
What is the server called....all I see is "Mo better tanks" ...is this the server????

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted April 18, 2003 07:26 AM            
Never been bothered by the sync times either! so long as my ping's low enough!!!

IP:

CyberCannon
posted April 18, 2003 09:54 AM            
666, it has been everything from 70 weapons server to 78 weapons server, as it was last night.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

[This message has been edited by CyberCannon (edited April 18, 2003).]

IP: