This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Design of the GA Racing Server
posted March 28, 2003 02:12 AM            
This thread is to help me put together a race server that has the following criteria listed below. I am looking for input from anyone on what should be there. Even the criteria are up for grabs if the argument is convincing enough. What is finalized here will be used on the server. Thanks to everyone for helping.

Race criteria:
1. Overall time to be no longer than 11 minutes. 30 seconds pre-race, 30 seconds post-race, and 10 minutes for those hard maps like Ice world. This has been my experience of the time that works.
2. Team setting will be off for now
3. Do little or no damage to the racetrack. I want speed on the track. Too much rutting will kill the speed.
4. Stock weapons only. Trying to keep the 30 sec start time before the race. People on dialups have problems with connecting within the 30 seconds. Having to synching entities (mods) would cause them to miss the start of the race.
5. Weapon selection need to be useful for the following ranges to challenge the leader of the track: very short, short, medium, long and off the radar. Below is a list of the stock weapons and the rutting and range rating as I see it. I am willing to change the rating if people think it needs to change. If the weapon causes too much rutting then I did not rate the weapon.

Air strike – too much rutting
Avenger – too much rutting
Concussions –rutting, very short, short, medium, and long range,
Cruise missile – rutting, but good for taking out lead tank that is off the radar
Dirt ball – rutting, but only short range
Flamer – no rutting but only short range, does not take tank off track
Flower power – too much rutting
Laser gun – some rutting, short range
Machine gun – too much rutting
Mass driver – minor rutting, very short, short, medium and long range,
MRL – too much rutting
Nuke – too much rutting
Plasma gun - minor rutting, ineffective to boot leader off the track
Plasma mines – minor rutting, could be very cool to lay these traps…
Ramdrill – no rutting, only very short range thus ineffective
Shadow – no rutting, but only short range, will stop a tank from moving
Swarmers – too much rutting
Wasps – ineffective…tanks moving too quickly

From the list above I would use the following weapons with the following weights (Weight is the number that dictates the occurrence of a weapon. The higher the number the greater of occurrence)

Mass driver 500 weight
Cruise missile 40 weight
Plasma mines 100 weight
Shadow 40 weight

edit: forgot a weapon
edit: deleted teams

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited March 28, 2003).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted March 28, 2003 02:34 AM            
Idea of using Kongs "anti deformation" mod?

IP:

posted March 28, 2003 02:47 AM            
Well I am taking the teams off...just did a race and the only other human was on my team...nuts...wanted to punt them. It just turn out to be a race. I will leave the team racing for the LAN party instead.

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 28, 2003 07:34 AM            
Not sure about leaving that shadow in there. That would definitely encourage people to reload that weapon and go hunting/camping!

IP:

posted March 28, 2003 09:26 AM            
I agree, but I am more worried that the cruise missiles will get out of hand. Too many cruises will cause lag, therefore the gold boxes need to go.

Does anyone know where you can trun off the gold boxes from showing up in a game?

IP:

posted March 28, 2003 09:39 AM            
Forgot to reply to Susan...because of the synching I will avoid mods even SSO mods. Even SSO mods have you synching entities when connecting and this will make dialups late for the race.

Just thinking...you only need to do synching entities once when you join the server. OK...maybe I could use SSO mods. I could try them. Let know which ones people would like. But only a few.

Though I like the addition of the cruise missile. I was in 2nd place far ahead and I was hit by a cruise. It definitely slowed me down and I saw the red dots catching up to me. In fact, I almost missed a gate because of the cruise missile.

I remember that I was racing Ras last nite and he got ahead. I started dumping my mass driver wanting a cruise to get him. Yep, the Cruise is the weapon to use to slow the tank that is off the radar.

------------------

IP:

Rex R
posted March 28, 2003 12:38 PM            
Re; gold boxes
look in entities\powerups\superammo.ent set the weight to zero, save as addons\entities\powerups\superammo.ent this will over ride the original ent. this sort of thing can be done with the mass drivers projectile (sniper.ent)

IP:

posted March 28, 2003 01:21 PM            
Thx Rex for the help.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted March 28, 2003 03:05 PM            
I like BZP's idea of the Mass driver type of weapon that freezes a tank for a short period of time. The only thing I don't really care about with the ice ball in a racing format is it's "seeking" capabilities.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

posted March 28, 2003 03:35 PM            
But Cyber, Ice ball could be the perfect weapon to stop lead tank that is "off the radar". Currently, the only weapon I have for stopping the "off the radar"leader is the cruise missile.

Hey...keep up the feedback...this is getting better.

------------------

IP:

CyberCannon
posted March 28, 2003 04:01 PM            
True, but I prefer the need for "proper" shooting and aiming for this, even if for me it tends to be more luck than anything else, which is why I really don't like the cruise as much. I understand your thinking with the need for taking out someone off the radar also, so I wouldn't object too much to the guidance.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 28, 2003 10:16 PM            
why not just have mass's that have the effects of the iceball? Just let it freeze the tank, no kicking..etc (well maybe a tiny bit for effect, but not any useful kicking). Then the leader can never get to far ahead as long as the people behind him are racing along at a good pace.

IP:

A2597
posted March 28, 2003 10:50 PM            
if you want, I can modify the iceball to be more like a conc, or perhaps a fast moving wasp (Without the spirl) for the projectile. wouldn't be hard.

From my experiance in race (I still prefer race to DM)

weapons that work very well IMO, pardon if I add alot of mine, but I designed alot of mine with race in mind:
Concs
Hand for knocking people out of the way, AND killing them.
Plasma Mines
as you said, lay traps
Mirvs of Steel:
(They to little damage to the terrain, but they REALLY blast a tank ahead of you, they can really knock opponants around)
mass drivers
Kill/move opponant
RamDrill
kills opponants, very useful in race
MRL
Not very useful in my experiance, but in certain conditions, it rocks
dirtball
VERY VERY handy in race, the little damage it does to the map is worth it for getting people out of the way
swarmer
Not as handy as the Concs, but if you need to kill someone in a hurry, this is a good weapon
laser
I've not had much luck with this weapon unless the map is pretty flat, but worth having, the AIs are MURDEROUS with it.
Land Mines
VERY deadly in race, harder to spot, but can flip your tank.

Dragonflies
Nasty little buggers that swarm a tank, I concider it a good replacment for the wasp

Acid Cloud
In race, this is a good weapon, the only bad point: you have to drive though it too....muahaha

MIRV (RCs MIRV missile)
This one is a very good mirv for longer range targets.

Speed Missile
Its overpowered, that I'll admit, but not only does it kill a tank, it sends them flying. It leaves a DEEP crater (Read, 1000 deep, 2 wide) but tanks can drive over it without a problem. I've tried to get stuck in it, and I couldn't. I concider it a replacment for the shadow.

Shockwave
Minimal damage to terrain, but OWI, VERY dangerous in race....

Tree Launcher
Very handy, I use it over the Air Strike, no damage to terrain, just adds some....obsticles...

Avenger
IMO a must have for race, if you think it damages the terrain to much, just tell it not to leave a crater in the projectile ent.

IceBall
Heh, need I introduce this one?

Those are the weapons I use for race, overall it works pretty well. Again, sorry for having so many of my weapons, but as I said, most were made with race in mind. I concidered adding both the plasma storm, and OW!missile, but I dunno, both are kinda overkill, and I don't think your looking for overkill. perhaps as replacements for the nuke and matter bomb.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

Teulk
posted March 28, 2003 11:13 PM            
Wow, some mods, alright. You have these set up on your own maps, or as a single player. I wouldn't mind trying those combinations myself. I DO prefer the race, but can handle the DDM part of it as well. Quite a bit more competetive, I find, but it works too.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 29, 2003 12:51 AM            
I wouldn't suggest the Plasma Storm...it's way too powerful fer racing. I'd end up picking everyone off as soon as I crested a hill or something.

IP:

A2597
posted March 29, 2003 09:25 AM            
heh, thus why I said possible replacement for nuke. with no gold boxes it wouldn't be *as* bad.

the Ow!Missile makes a pretty good replacement for the nuke IMO, the # of frags with it is completely random, anywhere from 1 to 100. (I've never gotton more then four though)

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

A2597
posted March 29, 2003 09:28 AM            
oh, and I use this setup in SP.

------------------

IP:

posted March 30, 2003 04:59 AM            
The changes I did are as follows:

Change the weapon spawn time to 1 sec
Added the following weapons with and modification after it. "With no rutting" means that have modified the projectile files to eliminate rutting to the map.
Will need to go to elite Hunter to download the DistructoDisk, AfterBurner, Shockwave, and das Tornado. All other mods are SSO. The link to Elite Hunter is here http://treadmarks.elitehunters.com/tm_download.asp?id=14

Normal weapons:
120MM cannon with no rutting
Concussions 300 weight with no rutting
Mass driver 300 weight
R-Gernades 300 weight with no rutting
Shadow 40 weight with ammo at 20

Off the radar weapons:
Cruise missile 100 weight with no rutting
Distro Disk 100 weight with ammo at 2 with no rutting
Ice ball 100 weight with ammo at 5
Ow missile 100 weight with no rutting

Traps:
Acid cloud 40 weight
Das Tornado 40 weight with ammo at 1
Fire mines 30 weight with ammo at 6
Land Mines 40 weight with ammo at 6 with no rutting
Plasma mines 30 weight
Shockwave 40 weight with ammo at 1

Power ups:
After burner 400 weight with 50 ammo (very cool)
Ammo 100 weight
Health 100 weight
Gold box 0 weight

Let me know what you think.

Edit: too many things to list
Edit: changed the owl to ow

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited April 18, 2003).]

IP:

posted March 30, 2003 06:24 AM            
It is too much fun now.

At one start an AI had das Tornado and launched it. Every tank was thrown around. I was fortunately thrown forward.

In another time when I was behind, I was able to catchup with a combination of distructo disk and afterburner.

And you should see the AI's get a hold of the afterburner...they go flying off the track..LMAO.

not only are there laser to worry about, the distructo disk, cruises, and ice is flying about.

Please try it...it is pretty cool now.

Just need to fix the 120MM cannon damage.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 30, 2003 11:52 AM            
The afterburner was designed with racing in mind. It really never had a home in a DM. It does work great in the Storm mod, though.

I'm sure the AIs look like a comedy show when they get it...

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited March 30, 2003).]

IP:

Teulk
posted March 30, 2003 01:50 PM            
Went to the link and supposedly dld the needed ents...now where do I put them??
Actually, they went to a temp file, but will not retrieve...any ideas??

IP:

posted March 30, 2003 01:54 PM            
you have to unzip them to the TM directory. The files will add themselves to the addons folder.

VERY IMPORTANT unzip to the main TM folder.

DO NOT unzip to the addons folder.

IP:

Teulk
posted March 30, 2003 02:05 PM            
Obviously, I didn't do this right...the files are showing as temp internet files, and, therefore are not unzipping anywhere..

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited March 30, 2003).]

IP:

posted March 30, 2003 02:27 PM            
that's ok...you can save the zip files anywhere you want...you have to unzip them at the TM main folder.

IP:

Teulk
posted March 30, 2003 02:40 PM            
They automatically save in the temp folder, but when I go to unzip them, they are classified as temp internet files (therefore nothing to unzip) I'll try and find you on Trillian sometime, and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong...gotta go...

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2