|
Author Topic:   Racing Etiquette
posted March 26, 2003 11:43 PM            
Well…it looks like there are some problems with the racing. I think that if all agree upon what type of race you want no one’s feeling will get hurt. From what I can see there are 2 different types of racing.

Race – This is when you race to win. In addition, it is perfectly ok to drive backward and shoot the racer behind you. It is also ok to stop and shoot the person behind you. So I hope that clears things up with BZP.

DDM – This is when people ignore the racing the just punt each other all over the place.

If the players agree at the start of the race to do either “Race or DDM” then everyone should be on the same page. In addition, once agreed in the beginning of what type of race, it is in place throughout the whole race. NO CHANGING.

Now the other problem…camping at the finish. This has upset several people. I would say that camping should only happen if it is a DDM race. However, in a Race race, I would not camp because people are trying to place 1st on Killers stats.

Here is a race hint for those who read this post. At the start of the race, one does not need to go through the start gates. In fact, I make it a habit to go around them…too many tank clogging up the start gate. Even though you might get a jump on the racer, it only puts you in laser aim of the mass driver.

Hey…see you at the races.

edit: correct grammar
------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited March 26, 2003).]

IP:

Irascible
posted March 27, 2003 12:12 AM            
I'm both perpetrator and victim of the camping you speak of. The bottom line for me is that one punt and you're out of the race. Once you're out of the race, what's left to do but terrorize the other players? When you had the CMs going, one hit from the CM slowed you but didn't push you too far away. Perhaps you could do a server side mod of the mass to make it push the enemy instead of giving him wings. Or not. Just my dos centavos.

IP:

corpse
posted March 27, 2003 04:44 AM            
race or ddm
how cares i say PUNT AWAY
lol

IP:

CyberCannon
posted March 27, 2003 02:46 PM            
666, I agree with you, at least for the most part. I am assuming that my shooting a certain person last night started this. The one caveat I will make for my self is this. When racing, if someone comes in front of me, or is about to then I will shoot them. This is what happened last night as I was finishing my first lap, well behind everyone since I joined after the beginning of the race, when I shot that certain someone.

I do appologize to him if that was upseting, though I didn't even notice who it was until after I had fired. I don't know whether or not I would have fired if I had known or not, though I suspect I would have even then. I don't personally believe in camping at any time, race or DDM, since I find I am safest if I keep moving (I seem to have the worst luck when I am standing still.)

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 27, 2003 03:35 PM            
eh, I think my "terrorizing" might've started this also, :| sry. (oh come on, it was a mite )

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 27, 2003 04:29 PM            
The whole point to the racing on a racing server is to race...not to take out someone.

If yer in front of me and you make a mistake and dump yerself off the racing line, I'm not going to smack you out of there unless you make it a point to do it to me. If an AI is harrassing you, I'll take that AI out so I can race you. But if yer going to take me out because I took out the AI, then I guess I'll find another time to race or just go play on another server.

IP:

posted March 28, 2003 12:06 AM            
Hey BZP...I have tried the racing server without weapons and just racing and it was boring. Whomever had the lead just kept it for the whole race.

This is TM...we have weapons and you should be able to use them. I just want to set up a race course that is fair and yet unpredictable so it will not be boring. For the unpredictability one needs weapons.

I will post tonite the criteria for my race track and everyone will have input to the design.

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

corpse
posted March 28, 2003 12:06 AM            
your in a tank!
if you want to race go out and get
nascar 2003

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 28, 2003 12:44 AM            
pfft, can Nascar cars reach speeds of over 9,000 mph and safely live when they smack a wall?

IP:

coaxs
posted March 28, 2003 04:51 AM            
Seems a bit silly not to shoot people to me.

I'll also will try not to camp at the finish line, I know Jon got really upset when I did that to him one or 5 times.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Irascible
posted March 28, 2003 04:54 AM            
"Seems a bit silly not to shoot people to me."

You are referring to the game, right? ;^)

IP:

CyberCannon
posted March 28, 2003 02:53 PM            
I should hope so.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

corpse
posted March 28, 2003 03:05 PM            
i was on today and I frag someone then i was told
NOT TO DO THAT !

LMMFAO!

all i have to say to that is -

YOU SISSY!

------------------
if you cant dance with the dead , get out of my coffin !

IP:

Teulk
posted March 28, 2003 03:50 PM            
Sorry to spoil your party, but there was some RACING going on...

BTW, I was totally OK with it. When I
see how the game will be played, then I will participate in the same fashion...HAPPY???

It would probably be a good idea (etiquette-wise) to discuss with the players already present as to how they were, (or would like to continue) racing the course. Adjustments would be made to accomodate the new joinees ( I am sure-because everybody LOVES to play)
so no-one should LEAVE unhappy...

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited March 28, 2003).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 28, 2003 04:17 PM            
Thanks fer the fun, corpse. However Teulk and I were racing. We had an understanding that we wouldn't shoot each other with the mass, 120mm, or the shadow as the whole point was to see who could make the turns and jumps without making the standard mistakes. Mine laying and cruise missles were fine. Even bumping someone into mines or off the edge as one makes the corners was fine. There were enough races that came down the wire and it was exhilarating. He or I would make the slightest wrong move through a turn or bump and end up losing enough ground to each other to win/lose the game by ourselves mixed in with the complexity of the AIs shooting at nearest tank. You should try it sometime.

But to go out and hunt the human leaders wasn't cool. If you remember during all of the races, I could've taken you out of the race quite easily numerous times and kept you completely out of the race. But that wouldn't have been fair to you if you wanted to race. We can always find another server to "frag" each other to death...hmmm...like the Armageddon server.

If you want to rack up scores instead of racing, just let me know up front and I'll be happy to oblige you.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 28, 2003 04:19 PM            
BTW...if you tried to race with NASCAR online and made it a point to crash people out of the race...guess what?! You'll get kicked/banned and noone would race you. Just like real racing...

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 28, 2003 11:00 PM            
eh, sorry BZP and Teulk, I shot each of you a few times earlier today, I didn't know you were playing without mass/shadow....etc Would've been helpful though if you'd told me before I was trying to get ahead of you guys whilst holding an overloaded mass :| hehe

IP:

Teulk
posted March 28, 2003 11:08 PM            
NP...it all came together eventually...was a blast actually. Hafta do it again..

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 29, 2003 12:48 AM            
It was kinda neat to nudge you in mid-air and get you to tumble when you landed...

That's a tough one to do but under the right circumstances it can be done...

Most of the time Teulk and I were within a few feet of each other waiting fer the other to mess up and take over the lead. That was a blast!!!

IP:

posted March 30, 2003 07:47 PM            
OK...but that is rare...most of the time the lead tank is ahead of you not next to you. The only way to get them is to have a weapon.

IP: