This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   ohhh....fire.....pretty....
A2597
posted March 22, 2003 03:18 PM            
Working on my high-res pack for TM again...
moving along to the weapons, I lost alot of it before, sooo....starting again.

Decided to start with the weapon I feel needed the most work, the Heavy Flamer. The fire effects just didn't cut it for me any more...

UPDATE:

OK, the MRL looks a bit better now. [URL=http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/MRL1.jpg]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/MRL1.jpg

so do the tank fire effects:

as does Scarab: [URL=http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/scarabnew.jpg]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/scarabnew.jpg
(compare to old one)

Uploaded two AVI animations of the MRL and Heavy Flamer in action.

MRL: [URL=http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/MRLtest.avi]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/MRLtest.avi (732K, 8 seconds)

Heavy Flamer: (900K, 6 seconds)

You will need the latest DivX codec to view them, get it from [URL=http://www.divx.com]www.divx.com

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

[This message has been edited by A2597 (edited March 24, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by A2597 (edited March 24, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted March 22, 2003 03:57 PM            
That looks very realistic, it looks great.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted March 22, 2003 04:16 PM            
Nice. The pyros around here will love it.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 22, 2003 04:19 PM            
someone say my name?

WOW!!! THAT RULZ!

1. can I get a copy of that?
2. if you want to make it even more realistic, make little shimmers above it from the heat, if thats possible...

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited March 22, 2003).]

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 22, 2003 04:27 PM            
so what is this hi-res pack? are you replacing all of the graphics with more up-to-date versions?

IP:

CyberCannon
posted March 22, 2003 04:58 PM            
I like it. Much better than what is there right now.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 05:51 PM            
Yep, the skyboxed (Currently 256 color , 512res) will be upped to 32bit, with 512 and 1024 versions.

the ground will all be 256 to 512 res, much higher then the current 128 res textures.

tank skins, dunno....

weapons will be updated as needed. (Like above, mainly the explosions)

all fire effects will be re-done.

as for getting your hands on it...wait till I'm done. MUAHAHA!!!

I plan on it being forwards backwards compatable, ala it replaces the current files, so you can join a server not running it, and still enjoy the better skyboxes, etc. This will not work for (all) weapons however, because I have to modify some entities as well.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 22, 2003 06:09 PM            
so you're saying that it will be totally client side?

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 22, 2003 06:28 PM            
I had gone to your site to check if it was up for download. I found Blender and downloaded it, but every time I try to open it my screen scrambles and the computer freezes. any idea of what might be wrong?

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 06:53 PM            
is Anti Aliasing on? blender hates it... (I know, stinks)

yes, the idea is that it WILL be cliant side, meaning you can enjoy nice graphics, and play on stock servers.

I'm doing this by replacing the existing textures one by one, with texture that look exactly like them, but are high res/more detail. Skyboxes are easy (In a moment I'll post the new "Skybox2" which is used in the Ramp and a few others.)

The terrain is a little harder, as I have to keep the EXACT color, but add detail, meaning more photoshop work, but definately worth is IMO.

So, things that WILL be client side, will work on any server:
New skyboxes
Nicer looking terrain
New fire effect for tanks
misc particle effects*

Things that will only work offline/with a server that already uses the mod:
New tank explosion, looks much better.
New weapons effects/particle effects

*Some particle effects WILL work, like the tank on fire, as that only requires an updated texture, however things like the new flame thrower, will not. I shall make it look as good as possible, but it won't look as good as if the server is running the mod. Also note that is the server is running the mod, people that don't have the mod can still play on the server.

I'm a crafty fella I am.

Note that this mod can be run from the Addons folder, but is made to be used by REPLACING the actual ents/graphics.

its a feat, I know, but hey, its a worth feat!

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 22, 2003 07:02 PM            
How do the 2 computers know that the files are different? I don't think that there is enough bandwidth to transmit information about what is IN the files. I read somewhere that the information sent to a monitor is about 20 gigs a second! shouldn't it work as long as the file names are the same?

How do I turn off anti-aliasing? I found how to change anti-aliasing settings, but not how to turn them off.

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 07:09 PM            
set it to aplication controled...

or, if its a GeForce card, just move the slider all the way to the left.

THe file names are the same, so the server never knows. The server WILL relize your ents are different though (the *few* I have to change, so you will get those from the server. I'm hoping to have to change less then 30 of them, currently only four are changed. so that would take what? two seconds? )

------------------

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 22, 2003 07:18 PM            
what I mean is: say when a tank dies, file X plays. if you just make file X different, then why would it matter?

IP:

KONG
posted March 22, 2003 07:23 PM            
How exactly can it be server side?

When you change/mod the stock files aren't you suppossed to rename them? Won't this cause confusion if you don't rename them?

------------------
Qersys

Ut sementem feceris ita metes

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 07:58 PM            
the idea is that it does replace different ones, it can't very well cause confusion, they are the same file names, just higher resolution, etc. For mod/map makers, you can still tell what terrain/sprite you want, because they match their counterparts exactly. I'll post an example in a second to show you what I mean....

------------------

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 08:14 PM            
OK, here is a comparesen between old and new.
http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/compare.jpg

see? one is higher detail, but otherwise the same. Thus modders wouldn't have a problem. they still use the one that fits their map/weapon, and it will look right for the people that don't have the mod as well. This way, it works even with files in the addons folder, otherwise you would have to add it to your addons folder, but what if, like me, you have multiple ones? could be problematic, and take up much space. Plus, you wouldn't be able to use it online unless the server was running it. Also, to clear up any confusion, I'm NOT using LDAs textures for this, I'm replacing them with ones I've found and modified from other locals.

------------------

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 08:17 PM            
now, some more good stuff:

new fire texture (Didn't need to modify any ents! WOOT!)
http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Image1.jpg

I may darken it some more, make it a little more....explosive looking.

and, the new skybox2, seen in "The Ramp"
http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/tank0000.jpg

------------------

[This message has been edited by A2597 (edited March 22, 2003).]

IP:

KONG
posted March 22, 2003 08:44 PM            
taken from Treadmarks.com:

If you plan to distribute your modification to others, please design your modification for the Full version of the game. The Shareware Demo version isn't intended to be fully modifiable, and it has some limitations on what can be changed and added. Also, please do NOT distribute tweaked, edited, or file-copied Bitmaps (.bmp, .img), Sounds (.wav), or Models (.lwo, .luv), from any version of the game. Distributing edited Entity (.ent) files is okay. This means you can't simply make an editing change to a Bitmap, Sound, or Model that is Copyright by LDA and then redistribute it, as it is a derivative work and still under Copyright. Imagine if someone's "modification" was simply all the files from the Full version with a few edits in each, and you'll get the drift. It is okay to create an all-new file with the same name as an LDA file with the intention of overriding it. If you want to distribute an edited LDA file or two (e.g. an edited intro screen or menu background for your mod) try asking for our permission. Note: Texture Bitmaps which are used by the original game as Racing Tank textures are excluded from the above restrictions. This means it is OK to slightly modify (e.g. add a logo) a Tank Skin and to redistribute it for free.

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited March 22, 2003).]

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 09:03 PM            
taken from Treadmarks.com:
If you plan to distribute your modification to others, please design your modification for the Full version of the game. The Shareware Demo version isn't intended to be fully modifiable, and it has some limitations on what can be changed and added. Also, please do NOT distribute tweaked, edited, or file-copied Bitmaps (.bmp, .img), Sounds (.wav), or Models (.lwo, .luv), from any version of the game. Distributing edited Entity (.ent) files is okay. This means you can't simply make an editing change to a Bitmap, Sound, or Model that is Copyright by LDA and then redistribute it, as it is a derivative work and still under Copyright. Imagine if someone's "modification" was simply all the files from the Full version with a few edits in each, and you'll get the drift. It is okay to create an all-new file with the same name as an LDA file with the intention of overriding it. If you want to distribute an edited LDA file or two (e.g. an edited intro screen or menu background for your mod) try asking for our permission. Note: Texture Bitmaps which are used by the original game as Racing Tank textures are excluded from the above restrictions. This means it is OK to slightly modify (e.g. add a logo) a Tank Skin and to redistribute it for free.

------------------

[This message has been edited by A2597 (edited March 22, 2003).]

IP:

KONG
posted March 22, 2003 09:42 PM            
well Gee, anyone can do that

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 09:47 PM            
After careful concideration, I have decided that terrain textures will be no higher then 256x256.

I'm on a pretty high end machine, so to test it for lower end users, I turned up all the options in both TM and my graphics card (Full AA, Aniscopic Filtering, etc).

the high res terrain lost me 30+ FPS at times....soooo...now it will be "not" so high res terrain.

------------------

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 22, 2003 10:19 PM            
The texture res I'm running now is 512

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 10:24 PM            
actually....they arn't.
about 90% of the terrain textures are 128x128.

the setting in game determines the MAX size, and the skyboxes, and the tanks I think, are the only things that use 512x512 textures. So your terrain is still the 128x128, unless you modified it. Making all the textures 512 caused some lag, etc for me....sooo, gunna keep terrain 256. that stopped most of the problems. (FPS loss of 4-5FPS now, definately allowed and worth it)

------------------

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 22, 2003 10:26 PM            
Do you have any of the 512 textures done already? If so please sent them to me. I still havn't had a chance to test my circus sideshow-class video card

IP:

A2597
posted March 22, 2003 11:30 PM            
Quick example, definately not the best view of the map, possibly one of the worst actually, but hey, whos gunna complain, right?

Scarab, before and after my little project.
http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/scarabold.jpg
http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/scarabnew.jpg

uploading current progress for those that want to see if their systems can handle it, I'd really appreciate feedback on it as well, test with scarab and the ramp, only two maps that I'm certain use which skyboxes...
(Will post once finished uploading)

------------------

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2