This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Desktop revision - new one
Sailor
Administrator
posted March 08, 2003 11:38 PM            
Thought this might be appropriate so here is the latest one.

Remember why we do what we do.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

wolfman
posted March 08, 2003 11:46 PM            
Beautiful Buddy Wondering where u got the pic of the eagle. Thanks. JT

IP:

coaxs
posted March 08, 2003 11:50 PM            
It seems America always pays the highest price for liberty.

:sigh:

IP:

Irascible
posted March 09, 2003 12:30 AM            
Cool pic Sailor. You're right Coax. I'm glad we do pay it.

Since my desktop is so spartan I'll have to show off my real pride and joy - now as my desktop to keep it thread appropriate.

IP:

posted March 09, 2003 02:03 PM            
Yep...I have seen it in real life. Most impressive and Ras tells me that it was not that expensive. Just hard work.

IP:

ARAGON
posted March 09, 2003 03:57 PM            
I'd show my desktop but after looking at Ras's, it's full of drool now....

IP:

ARAGON
posted March 09, 2003 03:59 PM            
Sailor, where did you get that? My wife would love it (I like it too)

IP:

Irascible
posted March 09, 2003 04:15 PM            
I dunno where you get your info Devil, but it wasn't cheap. You may be recalling my enthusiasm for the price of the case. It's one of the biggest and best designed cases going and can be had for a darn good price here .

The overall expense was worth it though. I HATE noisy computers. All the fans run at 5 volts, the water pump is noiseless and the hard drive is almost perfectly muffled. The result is an AthlonXP 2800 system that is nearly silent. A former roommate of mine had a Compaq 700 MHz Celeron system that made more noise.

IP:

KONG
posted March 09, 2003 04:31 PM            
toot, toot

------------------
Qersys

Ut sementem feceris ita metes

IP:

Irascible
posted March 09, 2003 05:50 PM            

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 09, 2003 07:00 PM            
Ras,

You've got email...

Have you thought about putting in a riser tube so you can capture the air bubbles in yer system? Right now with yer current config, I'm guessing that you've got some air bubbles built up in yer radiator. Just a thought...

IP:

posted March 09, 2003 11:32 PM            
Ras dude...I meant the water cooling system. You told me that you mail order it and that it was not that expensive. Sorry for not being clear.

And Love the Wise guy sound bite. LOL

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted March 10, 2003 01:40 PM            
am not up to speed with water cooling systems. how does it actually work? *waits for stupid answer* lol

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted March 10, 2003 02:05 PM            
In its most basic answer:
Heat transfers by 4 methods: Conduction, convection, Radiation, and evaporation.
Air cools things by running air over something else with a fan. The transfer of heat isn't real efficient. In this method it is conduction. If a room is warm, then the air blowing into it is also warm and not much cooling takes place.

Water has a great heat capacity. With water cooling, one runs water in coils near the heat source (the processor) and takes away the excess heat that way. The heat dissipates via the radiator coils (Increases surface area). This also uses conduction, but the heat is more thoroughly removed.

Water cooling is also much more quiet. I can attest to the fact that Ras's set up is quiet. I "haven't" heard it myself

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted March 10, 2003 02:21 PM            
thanks Sue!!

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted March 11, 2003 04:06 AM            
You're welcome.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 12, 2003 04:16 PM            
So that's what a water cooling system looks like. How does it work? It seems to me like the hoses would need to make more contact with the parts of the computer.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 12, 2003 06:58 PM            
Uh...the hoses only carry the water from the heat source (CPU) to the radiator which cools the water with help from a fan.

It's very similar to yer car's cooling system...

IP:

mr.BIG
posted March 12, 2003 07:50 PM         
Well Sailor , I'd show ya .......But then I'd have to terminate , terminate with extreme predjudice
Just kiddin Buddy ........Ur ok in my book ........... where in the sam hill did I put that book ????? Shoot here it is , right next to my pirated photo's of the ten best dressed Lepers hehe Fun

------------------
To Some It's a six pack .............To Me It's A Support Group hehe......... Fun ! ! !

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 12, 2003 08:56 PM            
But don't other parts of the computer generate heat too? my vid card has a fan built into it, isnt the water cooling supposed to replace the fans?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 12, 2003 09:53 PM            
Some modders/enthusiasts do cool their video cards as well. Companies do make water blocks just fer video cards and chipsets. Depends on how much you want to spend on cooling and noise control...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 12, 2003 10:02 PM            
Overclockers.com has some nice setups you can browse through. You might even like something you could try on yer own...

IP:

mr.BIG
posted March 14, 2003 10:29 PM         
Heck SM you don't play TM enough to even get that vid card warmed up , livin in Miami , i'd be more worried about the humidity

------------------
To Some It's a six pack .............To Me It's A Support Group hehe......... Fun ! ! !

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 15, 2003 11:20 AM            
$200+ electric bills in the summer to keep the house cool and dry.

true i dont play that much TM, but I play plenty of other games!

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted March 15, 2003 11:54 AM            
I just thought of something. We have been debating buying a large sal****er aquarium for some time now. sal****er aquariums are far more complicated than freshwater. you have to have ultraviolet lights to kill bacteria and diseases, secondary tanks that hold nothing but algae that you pass the water through to clean it, pumps to create a current in the tank, and a chiller to bring the water to the proper temperature for coral, which you have to have to make the tank look good. too bad it would be out in the living room or I could just pass the chilled water through my computer before it went to the tank.

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited March 15, 2003).]

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2