|
Author Topic:   Nooooooo!
D-Lyrium
posted March 06, 2003 04:19 AM            
Fleh, Just as I downloaded a few mappacks and was getting used to playing TM online, my PC decides that if I want to boot in normal mode, It's going to give me a "Windows Protection Error".

It'll boot in safemode, but when it does it can't find the CD drive, so my only backup is the floppy drive, so it'll be important/small stuff only that gets backed up.

Bugger.

So unless there's either a fix for the protection error, or a way to get safemode to locate the CD drive - I'm screwed for a while

If anyone has any ideas that doesn't resort to reformatting (that's the helplines default answer, but this time I think they actually mean it ), I won't be doing it till the weekend, so until then I'm only on the net a couple hours a day :\

Help!

------------------
Don't Try To Run From Me...

...You'll Just Die Tired

IP:

coaxs
posted March 06, 2003 05:00 AM            
You don't need the cd to play on-line.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 06, 2003 05:35 AM            
What OS are you working with?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 06, 2003 05:55 AM            
Heres my guess: Win98se

Repeated boots do the same protection error

Answer: This is mainly due to RAM timing problems..... and VxD driver load filure from the system.ini file. Have you recently installed any new ram or changed ram types or installed a new motherboard ? (If not look more at the drivers and ignore the following program).

Anyhow - the short term answer is this : go into BIOS and set it to either quick ram test or no ram test on post boot (depending if your bios has those options).

Grab a copy of this program: http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp Then goto the Pc cauing you hastle and run it.

Since safe mode is basicly a set of minimal drivers for windows it could br that one of your drivers is corrupted in which case a good old virus scan is in order.. could be a nasty lurking around your drive... especially if youre a P2P or MP3 fan.

Then again a good defrag or scandisk could clear it, if its a fragmented file windows is looking for the other bit of it and times out.

Since youre able to post ill assume your not on the affected pc since safe mode doesnt allow you to use the internet.

You can find more info on this error at : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q149962

Small footnote: Reformatting can sometimes work, but in these cases rarely.... its more hardware based.

Hope that helps.

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬isit the DMF Forums - Click here ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
Click here to goto the DMF Toplist
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP:

harmless
posted March 06, 2003 06:55 PM            
if it is indeed win98,

one thing to try, is to reinstall win98 on top of itself
it might work.... but might not.
{this has worked for me on one occassion}
[and did not help on another occassion]

when you start getting those types of errors,
windows is pretty hosed up and reformatting
and reinstalling is really the best thing to do.

if it is indeed a RAM problem, this is also a good
program to test RAM with. memtest86
http://www.memtest86.com/
it fits on a floppy and you use that floppy
to boot the computer. it automatically starts the program and checks RAM.
you can even use it on computers with no operating system or hard drive.
and it is freeware.

good luck with it all.
harmless

IP:

D-Lyrium
posted March 07, 2003 06:18 AM            
Thanks

I'm running WinME, but the MSKB article seems ot know what it's talking about (unlike PCWorld's support service, but then, what else is new? ).

I'm on a college computer at the moment, but I should be able to sort it out later

If not, I'll try a reformat, and I should be up and running by Saturday afternoon

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 07, 2003 11:43 AM            
PC WORLD !!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahaaaa !

I used to work for them... allow me to give you a little rundown.

- Customer comes in.

- Sales man MUST attned to you when you move your head like a hapless turkey looking for help.

- Customer asks salesman a question, if its outside the basics (what is a hard drive) or acnt be read off the POINT OF SALE Card they go running to the manager or hunting for the manual.

- Tedious minutes later they return with an answer they should have known anyway as part of the job. soask them another like, is this system pre-overclocked *watch them panic*

- When they return pull out a wallett you pre-stacked with 20 note sized sheets of blank paper, view for a while as they shake with excitement..... they usually fall silent.

- Customer says *i won some cash on the lottery i want a lot of top gear* - the salesman is now dribbling and you have his complete attention.

- Tell him you want to using a P2P system, must be fast have IEEE have extra ATA connections or be RAID and it should have CPU overheat protection.

- At this point the salesmans brain becomes jelly not knowing WTF you just said - so tries to remember it, gives an excuse then runs off to the tech support team. He then tries to take in everything they tell him and returns more confused than a dyslexic leper with a rubics cube and one hand.

- Enjoy this part - youre now putting the pressure on..... I need a digital camera thats capable of Mavica style repeat shots, i also need a scanner that is capable of processing transparancies and a printer that can handle at least 1440 dpi with a .6 picolitre droplett.

- By now the poor guy is so lost he could be in Milton Keynes in pitch black without a torch.... but he still wants that sale.

- Ask about AFTERCARE, this is his opportunity to tell you about the blatant ripoff called MASTERCARE. He knows everything about this product because in reality its all he sells, you pick the pc, he sells you the MASTERCARE for it. Mastercare is nothing more than an expensive warranty option with the ability to affect a repair IF and only IF you havent been inside the PC (so that excludes any upgrades unless PC World do the upgrade for you which then costs 3x what it would if you did it yourself anyway).

Net result is you sign up a 3 or 5 year Mastercare agreement which protects the hardware inside the case but stops you upgrading unless youre willing to pay 3x the standard price for it; they dont tell you that part.... The way the pc is setup (usually underclocked to save them problems later on) is that a simple virus check and defrag will solve most issues, hardly ever will you need an engineer unless you drop the pc down the stairs. It does cover all parts for their full value tho so in 5 years time when your P2 350 expires you can be assured that your 300 Mastercare will pay for an exact replacement (now valued at 10).

- Care to take out mastercare on the Monitor too (asks the salesman) *its not included in the main sell thats just the base unit* - When they dont tell you is they remove your 3 year warranty from their monitor boxes and offer a pc world standard 1 year guarentee... then sell you the mastercare 2 year plan for it... crafty; 3 years of the same cover but it costs you MORE MONEY AGAIN.

Try asking the average PC World salesman a tech question and they are as lost as the hills or will give you bad advice based on what they remember from a previous asking by some1 else. The tech ppl dont want to know, the customer servoce ppl are always busy dealing with a line of complaining customers and the manager is never available (even if he is).

Now i could sell pc's by the bucketload, but mastercare was a crap ripoff and i knew it, i also wasnt hot on selling it because i knew what it was and to me it was morally wrong.. i stayed at PC World over chrismas and found a new job in the january when the sales abaited - PC WORLD ROYALLY SUX, but great of you want some fun winding up the sales staff lol.....

Have Fun

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬isit the DMF Forums - Click here ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
Click here to goto the DMF Toplist
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP:

D-Lyrium
posted March 07, 2003 04:06 PM            
lmao, tell me about it..

I went in one day and asked to see their range of graphics cards, because I wanted to upgrade mine.

After at least ten minutes of him trying to tell me that he would do it for me if I brought it in (which is complete bollocks. He would get their tech department to do it, who are probably based in Romania or somewhere where I'd have to wait two weeks to get it back from them (Like....next door, for example..).

Anyway, I managed to persuade him that I was perfectly capable of doing it myself, he took me to the stack.....well, randomly arranged pile....of boxes.

I looked at him rather weirdly, and he was like.. "Yeah, here they are.."

And I looked at the pile, then at him. "They're soundcards" said I. "Oh" he said. "Sorry. Did you want one of those nuh-video's?" (NVidia).

I very nearly didn't laugh, but one of the salesmen behind him (the rare variety that know what they're doing) pointed to his arse and then his elbow, shook his head, then walked off.

Gary at PC World Plymouth. I feel sorry for you, I really do..

Oh, yeah, and I'm back

Not fully. Just got the basics reinstalled, but the "Basics" did include TM

------------------
Don't Try To Run From Me...

...You'll Just Die Tired

IP: