posted March 07, 2003 11:43 AM
PC WORLD !!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahaaaa !
I used to work for them... allow me to give you a little rundown.
- Customer comes in.
- Sales man MUST attned to you when you move your head like a hapless turkey looking for help.
- Customer asks salesman a question, if its outside the basics (what is a hard drive) or acnt be read off the POINT OF SALE Card they go running to the manager or hunting for the manual.
- Tedious minutes later they return with an answer they should have known anyway as part of the job. soask them another like, is this system pre-overclocked *watch them panic*
- When they return pull out a wallett you pre-stacked with £20 note sized sheets of blank paper, view for a while as they shake with excitement..... they usually fall silent.
- Customer says *i won some cash on the lottery i want a lot of top gear* - the salesman is now dribbling and you have his complete attention.
- Tell him you want to using a P2P system, must be fast have IEEE have extra ATA connections or be RAID and it should have CPU overheat protection.
- At this point the salesmans brain becomes jelly not knowing WTF you just said - so tries to remember it, gives an excuse then runs off to the tech support team. He then tries to take in everything they tell him and returns more confused than a dyslexic leper with a rubics cube and one hand.
- Enjoy this part - youre now putting the pressure on..... I need a digital camera thats capable of Mavica style repeat shots, i also need a scanner that is capable of processing transparancies and a printer that can handle at least 1440 dpi with a .6 picolitre droplett.
- By now the poor guy is so lost he could be in Milton Keynes in pitch black without a torch.... but he still wants that sale.
- Ask about AFTERCARE, this is his opportunity to tell you about the blatant ripoff called MASTERCARE. He knows everything about this product because in reality its all he sells, you pick the pc, he sells you the MASTERCARE for it. Mastercare is nothing more than an expensive warranty option with the ability to affect a repair IF and only IF you havent been inside the PC (so that excludes any upgrades unless PC World do the upgrade for you which then costs 3x what it would if you did it yourself anyway).
Net result is you sign up a 3 or 5 year Mastercare agreement which protects the hardware inside the case but stops you upgrading unless youre willing to pay 3x the standard price for it; they dont tell you that part.... The way the pc is setup (usually underclocked to save them problems later on) is that a simple virus check and defrag will solve most issues, hardly ever will you need an engineer unless you drop the pc down the stairs. It does cover all parts for their full value tho so in 5 years time when your P2 350 expires you can be assured that your £300 Mastercare will pay for an exact replacement (now valued at £10).
- Care to take out mastercare on the Monitor too (asks the salesman) *its not included in the main sell thats just the base unit* - When they dont tell you is they remove your 3 year warranty from their monitor boxes and offer a pc world standard 1 year guarentee... then sell you the mastercare 2 year plan for it... crafty; 3 years of the same cover but it costs you MORE MONEY AGAIN.
Try asking the average PC World salesman a tech question and they are as lost as the hills or will give you bad advice based on what they remember from a previous asking by some1 else. The tech ppl dont want to know, the customer servoce ppl are always busy dealing with a line of complaining customers and the manager is never available (even if he is).
Now i could sell pc's by the bucketload, but mastercare was a crap ripoff and i knew it, i also wasnt hot on selling it because i knew what it was and to me it was morally wrong.. i stayed at PC World over chrismas and found a new job in the january when the sales abaited - PC WORLD ROYALLY SUX, but great of you want some fun winding up the sales staff lol.....
-=≡[▓▒░ √isit the DMF Forums - Click here ▓▒░]≡=- ☺™
Click here to goto the DMF Toplist
§Ìģ ©2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX