|
Author Topic:   I need a new monitor
Scrap Metal
posted January 26, 2003 10:42 PM            
okay, i have had my monitor for like 7-8 years now and i dont want to even think about how many thousands of hours i have on it. it's so old that i cant go above 1024x768 pixels and is basicly holding back my unbelievably powerful vid board. the screen sometimes gives off buzzing sounds that make me think i'm in Dr. Frankenstien's lab or something. the screen also flickers sometimes at a very high frequency so that it's hard to see but strains your eyes rediculously. i need to know where i can get a good deal on a monitor that is capable of displaying extremely high resolutions, it needs to be big, really big, like 18+ inches, and here's the hard part, i have a nintendo GameCube and it is capable of transmitting progressive scan HDTV format. i want to hook it up to my monitor. flat pannel would be nice, but i know that really drives the price up.

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

IP:

posted January 26, 2003 11:43 PM            
yo...go to Tom's Hardware to do the research...link below..
http://www.tomshardware.com/

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 27, 2003 12:11 AM            
okay, inexpensive flat panel monitor. Just got it. 19" Viewsonic p95F+. Works better than my old one. http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_p95fplus.htm Priced at $254 to $279 depending on where you get it. . .

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 27, 2003 06:05 PM            
but will it work with my GC in progressive scan? it uses component-type cables. the importent thing is that it will work with the console and that it is big and sharp enough to use from more than juat a few feet away

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

IP:

Paranor
posted January 27, 2003 07:16 PM            
that's a good price Sue. Does it ghost when you play hi-res games? What games have you played on it?

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 27, 2003 10:44 PM            
now i see the thing at the bottom, seems perfect buuut, can i get it a little bigger?

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited January 27, 2003).]

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 27, 2003 11:12 PM            
woah, the price for the video processor box puts it out of the question, i cant afford $200 or $400 and the $100 one is still pretty expensive and dosnt seem to be compatible with component cables, which means no progressive scan, which defeats the purpose.

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited January 28, 2003).]

IP:

Paranor
posted January 28, 2003 12:36 AM            
get a job. I had 3 when I was in high school.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 28, 2003 02:34 AM            
Par, only played TM on it so far (that whole time issue ) It looks WONDERFUL! That plus a new vid card (ATI-radeon all in wonder 7500). No ghosting I have noticed, and anyone who has played with me lately (Rixy and CyberCannon) can attest to my wonderment. I am frequently commenting on the details that I am now able to see on the meshes. I didn't know there was a Jolly Roger on the wings of the cruise missle, for example. Just one of many little examples that I have noticed.

IP:

Paranor
posted January 28, 2003 10:20 AM            
you were impressing me. right up to where you said "ATI". ATI? ATI? Sue, sue, sue, sue, sue, sue.

I'm going to buy one for work and test it out. It'll look nice next to my 21" monitor. And take up less space and get the same viewing area.

IP:

Paranor
posted January 28, 2003 10:21 AM            
hey wait a minute.

I need to read more closely. You said flat panel monitor. I thought you meant LCD.

DOH!

nm

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 28, 2003 04:16 PM            
No,not LCD, just a real flat screen LCD. Sukka weighs a ton, too. About 54 pounds.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 28, 2003 04:33 PM            
Just don't let Aragon find out this thread...

Nice price, Sue!! I paid close to $500 for my PF790 a couple of years ago during Christmas. It sure is nice though. I have my Samsung SyncMaster 760TFT LCD (17") sitting right beside my ViewSonic. I like the clarity, the auto adjustment, and the small footprint of my LCD a lot!!

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 28, 2003 06:40 PM            
i am still a few months shy of 15, arent many people who will hire me. i have an extremely heavy course load anyway.

what do you have against ATI? for now, ATI has all others beat by a landslide...

how much did you pay for your 21"?

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited January 28, 2003).]

IP: