|
Author Topic:   1st Multiplayer Game
Rooster
posted January 19, 2003 02:33 PM            
Played my 1st online multiplayer game today,this stuff is GREAT!I'm new to this stuff can someone tell me if there's a way to stop the screen from stalling so much?

IP:

swisher
posted January 19, 2003 03:27 PM            
This depends somewhat on your connection type: DSL/Cable/Dial-up.

If you are dial-up, then definately set your NetRate to 2K. This is done by starting Tread Marks, and then clicking Game Options/Miscellaneous/NetRate. Clicking NetRate repeatedly cause the rate to cycle amoung all of the options.

Even if you have DSL or Cable, give this a try. I have DSL and run at 2K and seldom see lag (aka, stalling). I think I played with you today, and there were only 6 of us online. Generally, the LDA server can handle this many without any lag.

Another thing to try always is simply disconnecting and then reconnecting. Perhaps even your internet connection (by doing a system reboot if necessary).

Hope this helps, and WELCOME aboard to the Tread Marks community!

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited January 19, 2003).]

IP:

posted January 19, 2003 03:31 PM            
Welcome to the TM community Rooster. The stalling is what we call lag. The best way to address the lag problem is to lower the game option setting. Just play with lowering the different setting till you get a non lagging game. you might want to just start with halving all the setting. It will also depend on if you are on dial up, dsl, or cable modem. Dialup being the worst. And then it depends on what is happening at the individual servers. The armageddon server will give anyone lag due to all the info the TM engine must keep track of...but it is fun.

So enjoy...until then...

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

swisher
posted January 19, 2003 04:01 PM            
Yes. Tread Marks seems to care more about the quality of the connection -- not necessarily the type of connection. As you're playing, there is a value named PING in the upper right-hand corner of your screen. Basically, the lower your PING, the better. Having a ping of anything higher than 300 is bad.

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 19, 2003 07:38 PM            
I disagree =) (the former one known as the Lag Master in ARC)

IP:

Rooster
posted January 19, 2003 11:22 PM            
Thanks I appreciate the help.I deffinetly had a high ping today.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 20, 2003 12:27 PM            
Im usually a 400-500 ping Rooster, btw ive set ur account open for access at the DMF. Welcome to the TM community.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 20, 2003 12:29 PM            
Ps, if you want to play on the DMF server, you will need the server pack - 13 meg and located in the DMF downloads forum. Our ftp service is open to you too.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 20, 2003 07:34 PM            
i'm almost never under 400 and i have my net rate set at 4-5k i think. i have dial up.

oh yeah, welcome! dont worry, we'll go easy on you for the hazeing

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited January 20, 2003).]

IP: