This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

|
Author Topic:   A question for the community
Sailor
Administrator
posted January 12, 2003 09:30 PM            
It has been noted that some people are feeling that it is time for our old friend Guido to go yet again. I pose the question for the community to provide your opinion. As previously noted this is an open community and everyone has a say. So let's hear your thoughts. Obviously the final decision will be that of the Admins, but I for one want to hear the general concensus before moving forward in any fashion.

Thanks for your input whatever it is.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted January 12, 2003 10:02 PM            
For the general information of the community mr.BIG has been temporarily banned from posting. This is temporary and he will be allowed back in after a short time, but we would still like your thoughts about a more permanent ban.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 12, 2003 11:05 PM            
mr. tiny can be a real pain in the @$$, and trying to like him has been less rewarding than my last tenesmous (you gotta look this word up! its hilarious!!).but i think banning him would be an extremely temporary solution, as he would just use a new name till we figured out who it was, then use a new one.

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited January 12, 2003).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 12, 2003 11:31 PM            
Hmmm...not sure how to reply to this one.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted January 12, 2003 11:58 PM            
I have to agree with Scrap on this one, for the most part. What with the way he has acted I doubt that it would be hard to figure out who he was.

Sailor, I would like to make a point but I hope you don't take offense to it. While I don't know anything about Guido, until he appeared as as Mr. Big, you seemed to comes across, at times, as one being quite ready for an argument. I have never felt that what you said was inaccurate, your wording seemed to be less than "tactful" shall we say.

Now back to the original topic, I feel that if Guido is likely to continue in the same vein of "conversation" then banning would be appropriate, even if it only turns out to be a temporary "fix". I feel this way because even in the short time I have known him he has come across as confrontational and beligerent.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

posted January 13, 2003 12:06 AM            
Well, I believe in giving people a second chance. A temporary ban from DDM's and the forum for 3 months. Enough time to let one reflect on why people are displeased with your actions. Just a thought.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 13, 2003 12:15 AM            
I dont care for the attitude or actions regardless of whether its guido or not - i say hang him by his balls till they fester n drop off !

Just my 2p.

Ive had the odd spat in here myself, that said i remove myself for a period of time, any responsible person would, to... "cool off" so to speak. If this is guido in another name, then he's just had his 2nd chance. Whoever he is in whatever guise, its clear that his intent is to disrupt ppl and cause tension - and thats not what were here for is it.

Ive not exactly been a good member here myself - but i do know when to shut up.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited January 13, 2003).]

IP:

Irascible
posted January 13, 2003 01:15 AM            
Wow. I could have written the above... except for the tawdry imagery of course. :^)

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited January 13, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted January 13, 2003 01:39 AM            
Having him off the board for at least a month or more is a good start. Like Matrix said, he already had his 2nd chance, and I doubt having a third, fourth, fifth, sixth will make much of a difference.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Paranor
posted January 13, 2003 01:37 PM            
lol ras and matrix!

I'd say he's doing it just to irk people. When I had my discussion board he posted and it was never near what's on here.

But maybe a temp ban would be a start to let him know go bug other people.

Now, what we really need to do is ban ARAGON. Any takers?

EDIT: THIS IS MY 1500th POST. CAN I GET A BOOYAH!

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited January 13, 2003).]

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 13, 2003 03:10 PM            
how do you ban someone from the DDMs? cant he just change his name? kinda hard to figure it out fast enough for that

if your thinking of banning his IP, i dont think that will work, only servers have static IPs, and they pay extra for them. ISPs assign an IP to you as you connect through them.

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited January 13, 2003).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted January 13, 2003 06:07 PM            
Cyber - no offense taken. That said you have to know the history of Guido (mr.BIG) to understand why I might be a bit less than tactful with him. In the past he has been arogant, condesending, and a racist to boot. If I seem less than tactful it was with an intent directed at his subtle style of creating conflict. I apologize if you were in any way offended with what I said to him, but knowing more of his history would enlighten you as to why things are the way they are.

Let's all take a breather from his style of personal interaction on the board and see what happens.

------------------
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 13, 2003 06:59 PM            
He's been a racist too?! now thats just LOW!

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

IP:

Paranor
posted January 13, 2003 07:25 PM            
You can only ban by IP address but I think it can be done on a 24 bit subnet level which can effectively block him out.

But it's prolly more work that it's worth.

IP:

Irascible
posted January 13, 2003 08:42 PM            
Paranor... the mercy banner. Fun. Hehe.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 13, 2003 09:44 PM            
That's too funn-ee...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 13, 2003 09:51 PM            
quote:
But maybe a temp ban would be a start to let him know go bug other people.

- NOOOOOOOoooooooooo...........

quote:
Now, what we really need to do is ban ARAGON. Any takers?

- Hehehe hes welcome at DMF anytime , your loss is my gain Muhahahaha !

quote:
THIS IS MY 1500th POST. CAN I GET A BOOYAH!

- BOOYAH !!!

As far as banning from a server is concerned, you dont have to use the built in ip list in treadmarks - just get the ip range from these boards and add them to a firewall on the server computer - seems pretty simple to me. Going down to subnet level is possible but not really needed.

Grab the IP from a board like this one, trace the ISP, find out who else is on the ISP who plays TM and get the ranges - its a long job but it should be enough to create an efective "TIME OUT" situation on attempted connection.

Would be an interesting task for the board admins in order to create a master ip list we can all apply to our server firewalls.

I wonder, if I add the range to my firewall and im in the game, if they could join, and if they could would they be able to interact with me - hmmm...

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 13, 2003 11:01 PM            
but every time you connect to the internet you get a new IP address. its totally dynamic!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 13, 2003 11:08 PM            
The 1st 2 blocks of an IP range never change - even on dialup; hence the word 'RANGE' - however dynamic is true for all dialups - some cable/dsl/sat ISP provide static IP's however - when thats the case, a direct number can successfully block an unwanted player, they have to get their ISP to change that assigned IP Address (which can be tough and costly depending on the ISP) to get around the block - other safeguards can be put in place also.

IP:

coaxs
posted January 13, 2003 11:10 PM            
Poor kids, they think there IP warriors.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 14, 2003 07:04 AM            
LOL - heres now it works scrap.... http://www.j51.com/~sshay/tcpip/ip/ip.htm

enjoy

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted January 14, 2003 01:14 PM            
I say give him one more chance but any hint of racism and he falls strait into the hands of admin to decide.

IP:

Paranor
posted January 14, 2003 01:21 PM            
har har ras.

matrix - that's what I said. I wonder if TM can block at the subnet level. Since this is a work firewall, I really don't want to be adding commands if I don't need to.

IP:

Teulk
posted January 14, 2003 06:52 PM            
Just got in on this one...I for one am with Bonzo...I'm all for the second chance, but the first whiff of racism should be the last..enough of a bad thing.
And it's really too bad, because at one point, things seemed to be OK..
Oh well, back to normal, I guess...

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted January 14, 2003 07:04 PM            
Do not forget this is the second time for this guy already and yes we plan on letting him back in when he has had some time to think it over, but this will be his third time and I think it should be his last if as some say he shows even a hint of his racist beliefs.

------------------
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3