|
Author Topic:   Anyone got TM running on a Gigabit network...?
BamZipPow
posted January 10, 2003 05:06 PM            
Question of the moment...

Thinking about getting some gigabit network tech and seeing how well it handles TM with everything maxed out. Everything...FPS, client rate, server rate...

Could make an interesting LAN party.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 21, 2003 06:17 AM            
Well...I guess I'll be on my own on this one. Have 2 gigabit cards on their way and I'm going to see if they can be hooked up together with cross over cables as gigabit switches are rather expensive. I'll post my results as I experiment with it...

IP:

Paranor
posted January 21, 2003 11:12 AM            
hmmmm - you think it's the LAN that causes TM to max out? I would say the engine or the processor.

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited January 21, 2003).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 21, 2003 05:07 PM            
Not sure...but I did find out that a company called Hawkins Technology does make gigabit switches for less than $200 for a 8 port!

I'll experiment when those babies come in and post my results...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 21, 2003 05:12 PM            
Looks like they got them in stock. Just ordered one and it should be here next week! Wooohoooo!!! Of course I'll be using this for other things, too...

IP:

CyberCannon
posted January 21, 2003 05:25 PM            
UH RIIIIIIIGHT.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

Paranor
posted January 21, 2003 08:39 PM            
holy shiat - that's cheap!

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 22, 2003 01:25 AM            
Much better than the $1000 or higher that I've found for other gigabit switches.

IP:

posted January 22, 2003 01:45 AM            
yeah...I would like to know how it comes out...keep us informed...thx

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 22, 2003 02:34 AM            
I'll test it with various NIC speeds, video cards (9700 pro, GF2MX, GF2 GTS), and CPUs (P3@1ghz, XP1800, XP2100). I have a few network testing/monitoring software that should give results...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 24, 2003 06:12 PM            
The networking parts are here...just have to go pick up the Radeon 9700 Pro tonight at FedEx.

Time to have some fun this weekend...

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 24, 2003 08:36 PM            
can someone tell me how much it would cost to replace my motherboard? i hope thats why the 9700 pro dosnt work the way it should...

IP:

posted February 05, 2003 01:19 AM            
Well Bam...what was the results???

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 05, 2003 07:53 AM            
Haven't installed it yet but I did manage to monitor the network activity...

Just with one client on a 100 Mbps setup, it took less than 2% of the available bandwidth. I'm guessing I should be able to share the DVD player over the network and still play TM. ...snicker!

IP:

VorDesigns
posted February 05, 2003 10:06 AM            
Scrap,

Uh, well, depends.

The current board I like for the all in one crowd is the SiS Dragon Ultra, sells for between 235-275; built in audio and LAN. Has IDE RAID capability.

The thing is, what do you want to do and what is your budget?

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted February 05, 2003 11:32 PM            
my budget is small. i dont want anything built in. i just want it to fully support my vid card

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 14, 2003 07:06 AM            
Finally got the switch and NIC installed as well as reinstalling XP Pro on a clean drive. Now it's on to more tweaking...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 16, 2003 05:47 AM            
Just downloaded the DLink DFE570TX manual from DLink. It has a network load balancer included in the download.

So now I have 2 NICs in my game comp and installed the load balancer on Win XP Pro. I guess this will divide the amount of load across the NICs.

This should produce less lag on my part? Especially fer a server? Just wondering...

IP: