|
Author Topic:   heheh check this out
Rex R
posted January 09, 2003 01:46 AM            
peace through superior firepower http://spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=26

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 09, 2003 08:02 PM            
NICE spud gun! i was planning to build one when mid terms were over, but it never crossed my mind to do something like that! is it powered by hair spray like most or are those pressurized? this seems to be the day for potato cannons. today while i was writing my english esssay mid term a science class was firing a pretty big one outside our window. it was weired though it barely made any noise, they bust have been using an air tank.

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM! (Or in this case, Lantern sparker in the firing chamber, SPUDS AWAY!)

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited January 09, 2003).]

IP:

Rex R
posted January 10, 2003 03:22 AM            
the 'MEGA' launcher is pnuematic non-combustion (technically all guns are preasurized). also people have reported good results using spray deoderants. you may want to do a 'google' search on 'spud gun'. heh some ppl seem to over look the fact that a lot of spray cans are preasurized with propane...

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 10, 2003 07:23 PM            
the same book that i used to build my acetylene cannon tells how to make a spud gun. it runs on hair spray

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

IP:

Rex R
posted January 11, 2003 02:17 AM            
my internet research (and a bit of hands on, from when I was your age) would indicate that the combustion chamber size listed in the book is undersized (yep got the same book). you should go with a cchamber that has between 1.2 - 1.5 times the volume of the barrel. if you go with a 2" dia. barrel use a 4" dia chamber. the one I'm planning will have a 2" dia 4' long barrel & a 4" dia. 18" long chamber. note try to find a lumberyard they will usually sell pvc pipe by the foot (my local one sold me 4' of 2" pipe for 50 cents a foot)

IP:

VorDesigns
posted January 12, 2003 12:46 AM            
I'don't suggesting using PVC, but rather PVC coated Galvanized conduit. Be brave, do another 4" barrel.

IP:

KONG
posted January 12, 2003 01:15 AM            
we used to make em out of beer cans when I was a kid. Used lighter fluid to launch tennis balls. Those were some great battles...

IP:

Rex R
posted January 12, 2003 03:06 AM            
heheh I've still got my tennis ball cannon (most recent) did you know the shaving cream (some varieties) comes in cans that are just the right size...

IP: