|
Author Topic:   The proposal for doing the clan maps from the stock TM maps
posted January 08, 2003 02:27 AM            
Below is the proposal I submitted to show them what I will do. The report references the 2 jpg of the Barren lake, one the stock map the other was the 666 version (not the final clan map, but close). Just by looking at the two different pics...one can see that carefully place weapon points can turn a spawn fragging map into joy to play.

Have fun reading

TM Barren Lake Map Example 10/28/02

The purpose of new weapon placement is to resolve the complaints of the TM community, to bring out the better qualities of the map, and to create battlefields that can support clan competition. I will use the Barren Lake map to illustrate the potential improvements. Below is a list the TM community complaints and the steps taken to address these complaints by adjusting weapon points and/or by the addition of more trees.

TM Issues that can be resolved with well thought out weapon placements:

· Spawning without a weapon
· Spawn fragging in DDM and Clan battles
· Heavily rutted maps in DDM and Clan battles
· Spawning in the middle of an on going battle

Steps taken in the placement of weapon points and trees:
The steps are accomplished by visual inspection. This section illustrates the mental process through which I go prior to assigning the weapon points and trees placement. Trees are only used if they are pre-existing on the original map. I will be referencing the two maps below. One is the original Barren Lake map from the TM 1.6 stock maps and the second one is the map with the new weapon points and trees, 666 Barren Lake map.

· Delete all original spawn points: A common complaint among the TM community is the spawning without a weapon. In the original TM maps it was common to spawn without a weapon. In looking at the original Barren Lake map, (using TMapper), there are 27 spawn points. If you open the map in an actual game and count the weapon points, there are only 15 on the map. Unfortunately, TMapper does not distinguish between weapon points and spawn points. Thus to be on the safe side, I delete all the original points.
·
· Potential battlefields: Once all the previous spawn points are deleted, I look at the terrain to see where the natural battlefields exist. In the 666 Barren Lake, I have marked 8 different battlefields where action should take place. The benefit of multiple battlefields is that the map will not have all the action concentrated in one place. With the action spread throughout the map, no one location should be heavily rutted.
·
· Addition of Trees to further define the battle fields: With the battlefields outlined, trees are added to separate the snipe points, to define the battlefield, and to slow the pace of the action. Points 4, 5, & 6 are a good example of using trees to divide up 3 close snipe points. Points 4 and 5 belong to battlefield III, while the very close point 6 belongs to battlefield I. For an example of slowing the action, you need to look at the trees between point 70 and 72. This is one of the few flat areas where action could be quick, but with the placement of a few trees, the tanks will be temporary impeded.
·
· The weapon points define the ability to play the entire map surface: It is critical that weapon points be put on the edge of the map. Seldom do tanks battle where there are no weapons to get. The placement of weapon points defines the playing field for battling. This is when one starts to see the stark contrast of the two different maps. Battlefields I, IV, V, and VI would not exist if there were not weapon points on the map’s edge to define those battlefield areas. The original Barren Lake map has only 1 battlefield area, due to the placement of the weapon points.
·
· Checks for the snipe points: Every TM player wants to snipe. It is the easy kill for the trained marksperson. There needs to be a balance in the game. Each snipe point needs to have a position where another sniper could take that player out, i.e. points 44 and 42. Also, spawning in a secluded location behind snipe points can keep them in check, i.e. point 49 can keep in check points 48, 50, 62, and 63. Snipe points on the same ridge are used as checks for each other, i.e. points 4,5, and 6.
·
· Never place a weapon point in the middle of the battlefield: Spawn fragging has a higher probability if there is a weapon point in the middle of the battlefield. In all the battlefields, there are no weapon points in the middle. It is best to spawn near the battlefield equipped with a weapon before entering battle. The exception could be made for larger battlefield, where a fresh supply of weapons would be necessary. An example of this would be the Caldera map in the cone.
·
· Closeness of weapon points: Typically, it is best to spread the weapon point far apart from each other to slow the action of the battle. Though, it is possible to have weapon point very close to each other if they are located at different elevations. For example, points 25, 26, and 27 of the 666 Barren Lake map are very close to each other but on different elevations. This will allow a tank to spawn without being immediately fragged.
·
· 60-70 weapon points need to be added to most maps: Why so many? Currently, in the clan battles there are about 20-25 players that will want to play. None of the stock TM maps can handle that many players without spawn fragging being a common problem. Everyday, better lines of communications are being installed and faster computers are available for the player. Before long, it will be possible to have 30 or more tanks in a clan battle. There needs to be map testing with the higher number of tanks. In all the testing of maps that I did for Sailor, the maps that had lots of weapon points had little or no spawn fragging. I have tested the 666 Barren Lake map with 40 tanks and had little spawn fragging. This is a desired result for all the TM community with the stock maps.
·
· Testing the map with 40 tanks, AI @100%, 4 teams, 99 frags count, team score and team damage: This is the fun part of the job. I play 2 or more battles to see if spawn fragging is present, the action of the battling, and is it enjoyable. So far, the 666 Barren Lake map has had game times of 7 mins and 7:45 mins. These are both excellent times. The new Barren Lake map has great potential that has yet to be realized. It could truly be a favorite of the TM community.

I hope that this example has been informative in explaining the process I have used to place weapon points on the stock maps. I am very excited about the privilege to do this project. In the end, these maps will be like new maps, all because of different weapon point placement.

[This message has been edited by coax (edited January 08, 2003).]

IP:

posted January 08, 2003 02:58 AM            
Nuts...both maps came out at the GA Forum. If you want to see the report and both maps together go to the link below.
http://www.hallsted.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Discuss;action=display;num=10420100 97

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited January 08, 2003).]

IP:

Irascible
posted January 08, 2003 03:21 AM            
Wow. I'm going to start calling you Dr. Topography.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 08, 2003 04:17 AM            
WHAT ! NO TECTONIC PLATES !!!!!

IP:

posted January 08, 2003 01:28 PM            
Hey...thanks Coax for redoing the links...but could you tell me what you did? thx

IP:

posted January 09, 2003 01:05 AM            
What is missing in the proposal was the iterative process of going from the TMapper to the TM battlefield to verify the location of every weapon spawn point. Yes, each and every 70 weapon spawn points. The process was time consuming, leading to 5 to 10 iterations per map to achieve the right snipe positioning. Sometimes TMapper would be fakey and abort a map that I had been working for an hour. ARRGH. The end results are precise weapon point landings on ledges that would be difficult to get to, but prefect for sniping. OH YEAH!

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 09, 2003 08:13 PM            
why isnt there a clan version of the turtles map?

IP:

posted January 11, 2003 04:27 AM            
Well Scrap…one of the criteria for choosing a map was that it had to have at least 5 possible battlefields. Caldera, Glacier, and Turtles have basically one battlefield. No matter how the weapon point would be put on you would only have one main battlefield. Other maps like trench run, tank luge, and jumper are only race maps and would not convert over well to a Clan maps. Maps that were too flat and fast were desert divas, brimstone, and steepes. I almost got Kahuna to work but no matter what weapon placement was used, it still spawn fragged too many times. The only other map that was possible would have been Ram Dump but the moving terrain, sparkling tank dust and skybox make it a confusing battleground.

Hey…any more questions…I will gladly answer them.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 12, 2003 12:16 AM            
battlefields? i always just follow the arrow and shoot. if im at point blank range dukin' it out and the arrow suddenly reverses direction, i know that I'm about to be fragged...

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 12, 2003 12:21 AM            
brutally simple isnt it?

IP:

posted January 13, 2003 01:49 AM            
Scrap…I have tested enough maps now to know that the map designer controls the action of the battlefield, not the players. The tools available for the map designer are the topography for making the battlefields, the placement of weapon points to ensure players will partake in that battlefield, and temporary obstacles (trees) and permanent obstacles (rocks & tank barriers) and water to slow the action. By careful combination of them, spawn frag free map with even rutting can be enjoyed by all.

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 13, 2003 02:53 PM            
uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh...

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

IP:

posted January 14, 2003 01:51 AM            
Scarp get TMapper and start to look at the maps to see what I am talking about. The link is here..
http://www.tmvr.de/uploads/TMapper/TMapperBigInstaller.exe

Install a seperate TM 1.6 for TMapper just incase you change any maps.

have fun...

IP: