|
Author Topic:   PlEASE ADVICE ME...
HUT
posted January 05, 2003 05:13 PM            
Hello dear Champions.

I want to buy a new computer. Can you write to me the best choice to play in TreadMarks: procesor, graphics card, network card, etc...
And one more thing, which of the operating system (Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP) is the best solution for this game? Please advice me, I will be thankful...I fraged you before last tank.
Regards, HUT

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 05, 2003 09:32 PM            
HM, WIN 98 IS A GOOD OS (my tiny opinion that humbly rests in all caps)

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 05, 2003 09:50 PM            
Tm runs great on my win 98, but get XP. none of the new stuff is gonna work for 98, microsoft is pullin' strings...

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

IP:

posted January 06, 2003 12:10 AM            
Susan's new computer is listed below. Note, as my bro's told me, "No computer is the prefect computer"...it is more a matter of money and preferences. A good place to read review and test result is at tom's hardware. The link is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/
We will gradually be switching to Windows 2000 with the hopes of a more stable environment.

Susan’s new computer:
· MB – ASUS A7V266-EAA
· CPU – ADM Athlon XP2100+ (1.73 GHz)
· RAM – 512 Mb DDR PC- 2100 (266MHz)
· Graphic card – AIW Radeon 8500 LE w/ 128 MB DDR
· Sound card – on motherboard
· Network card – Netgear FA310TX 10/100Mb
· A drive – NEC 1.44 MB
· C drive – 40 GB Ultra IDE 8 MB (7200 RPM), Western Ditigal
· D drive – 80 GB Ultra IDE 8 MB (7200 RPM), Western Ditigal (for ditigal photos)
· E drive – Sony 16x DVD IDE
· F drive – Plextor CD-RW 48x24x48 IDE

IP:

VorDesigns
posted January 06, 2003 01:54 AM            
I built two of these recently; 6'3 is correct, built to taste

SOYO Dragon Ultra
(Note IDE onboard RAID capable)
onboard sound and NIC (work well)
P/IV 1.8 (I'm poor)
256MB RAM
C: 80GB WDC 8MB Cache HDD
D: 52X CD
S: Network Muzak storage striped
U: Network Work Storage Single drive
V: Network Personal Storage Mirrored

Karmady DVD (me)
Marlow CDRW (wife)
ATI Radeon 7500 (SVGA/DV)
(MelonCracker bought 9000, he's happy)
Antec MidTower four fan case
Antec 550 Quiet power
4 Antec Smart fans
(on fans, if you can find quieter fans, tell me.) This system is running six fans and you can barely hear it, you would not hear it except I kept the stock processor fan.
OS Win2K; havent' loaded my ActionPack licenses yet, no time.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
- http://www.vordesigns.com

[This message has been edited by VorDesigns (edited January 06, 2003).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 06, 2003 12:42 PM            
Check out your drive labels. You even drive an SUV while at the keyboard

IP:

corpse
posted January 06, 2003 01:31 PM            
nope, but i passed one on the way home

[This message has been edited by corpse (edited January 06, 2003).]

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 06, 2003 06:30 PM            
correction: it is a matter of money. a big, powerful computer requires a big, powerful budget. some compromises can be made however, you dont NEED a vicious gfx card, but its best to get one so you dont have to replace it later. sound cards... well, sound isnt that important 'cause they're hard to outdate. RAM is a matter of money, if you wanna use ur processor's speed u gotta shell out for ram. basiclly, after you cross a line, your shopping for a gaming PC, and prices increase 10X as fast for the performance gained. i reccomend getting a higher end system that is still reasonable. this way, you wont pay extravagant prices and it wont be outdated in a year.

------------------

IP:

HUT
posted January 07, 2003 06:49 AM            
Hi. Thank you very much, I will be analyze all it now.

I never lose those hunting instincts. Beware of the HUT, ha. I have the best support from TreadMarks's family and GARFIELD.

Best regards HUT.

IP:

harmless
posted January 07, 2003 08:14 PM            
barebone systems are a great way to cost effectively upgrade a system... you get a case, motherboard, cpu, and memory.

for $300 or less, you can get AMD processor, 256MB RAM, and a name brand motherboard... and the shop that you buy it from will put it together for you.

all you need to do then is the easy part and change out the hard drives, cards and optical drives. win98 handles these change outs pretty easily, i've done this many times. then, when you get more money, you can get a new video card (ATI is my choice) [ATI radeon 8500 is very good and cost effective] and/or faster hard drives.

anyway, good luck,
harmless

oops... forgot to mention that if you stick with win98, then ATI 7500 is better, the ATI 8500 does not list win98 as a supported operating system. and , come to think of it,
the ATI 9000/9500/9700 do not list win98 as a supported operating system either. well, i like old technology better anyway. and i always have my sticks and rocks to play with.

[This message has been edited by harmless (edited January 07, 2003).]

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 07, 2003 10:23 PM            
I just bought an ATI Radeon 9700 and although it does not say it supports win98, all i had to do was use the win ME drivers and it works perfectly. i think that they're almost exactly alike...

------------------

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 08, 2003 12:41 AM            
Although in the future everything will eventually go on XP (ya, it happened to DOS to) i'd hold out as long as you can. Thats what im plannin on

IP: