|
Author Topic:   The Upgrade that should have happened…
posted January 02, 2003 11:52 AM            
Yes…the Clan and Sailor maps are too cool not to have. Just do it and get them. The link is below:
http://www.hallsted.net/treadmarks/Hallsted-Server-Pack.zip

Also for your reading pleasure is the report I submitted:

Summary of the New Weapons’ Placement on Clan Maps

The original purpose of the placement of new weapon points was to resolve the complaints of the TM community.

· Spawning without a weapon
· Spawn fragging in DDM and Clan battles
· Heavily rutted maps in DDM and Clan battles
· Spawning in the middle of an on-going battle

All these complaints have been addressed for the maps that have been changed. If it was not possible to achieve the above goals for a map, then it was not used.

Little did I know there would be very cool results from the changes.

· More exciting game
· Higher frag to death ratio
· Sniper’s paradise
· Larger maps
· Resurrection of hardly used maps
· New battlefields

More exciting games:
One might ask, “How could TM get more exciting?” Well, how about 3 nukes showing up on the initial spawn. It is now common to have nukes be a part of the initial weaponry at the start of the game. Even with the heavy weapons showing up so soon, the rutting of the map was still evenly distributed due to the spread of the points.

Higher frag to death ratio:
Along with the nukes showing up early comes the increase in the health and gold boxes. It was common for me to grab a weapon and one or two gold boxes. Also common was my ability to escape the action and grab a health to sustain the fragging spree. Both of these actions lead to an increase in the frag to death ratio.

Sniper’s paradise:
Players hate the sniper but they all want to be able to do it. Moving most of the weapon points to the high ground created many sniper points. This ability, though hard, is a skill not readily practiced due to so few snipe points in the stock TM maps. With the availability of the sniper points, players will have a chance to refine another skill of battling.

Larger maps:
Weapon points placed at the map’s border allow play in mirror land. AI’s battling would commonly spill over into the mirror part of the maps, making the map’s battle area larger.

Resurrection of hardly used maps:
Barren Lake, Deer Hunter, Didgeridoo, Pugmill, Clay Hills, Gravitor, Lions Pass, and Spikey have new life breathed back into them. Rarely have I seen these maps used in the LDA server line up. Now I would expect them to be played along with the favorites.

New battlefields:
This alone, was worth the new placement of the weapon points. Hell Crossing has 4 great battlefields, one in each corner of the map. The Windchill map’s high plateau would finally be used. Enjoyable water battling occurs on the Simian Isle, The Rack, and Mosquito maps. The River has a wonderful long narrow strip on all 4 sides of the map’s border. Clay Hills and The Rack have flat battlefields I did not know existed. Pinnacles has a secluded canyon that was hidden. Bull has a lake? And there are many more examples to behold. Yes, when players get ahold of these maps, they will ask the same question I repeated over and over, “I have never battled here before!” It will be a common experience: Thinking that you are playing on a new map, one that you played 100’s of times, all because of the new placement of weapon points.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted January 02, 2003 12:43 PM            
uh..oh..am convinced! Will leave this to download! Wasn't totally aware that there was a mission to this pack! nice!!

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 02, 2003 12:51 PM            
I'll tell you the upgrade that should have happened! there should be a patch for the game that gives all the tanks moveable treads that conform to the terrain like in BF 1942.

by the way, the maps are definately a huge success. i downloaded the origional files that could be used for races, is there a smaller patch that can change this without hiaving to download the huge file again?

IP:

Teulk
posted January 02, 2003 01:28 PM            
Thanks for asking that Scrap...I'm curious if the download of the new pack will negate the ability to race on these maps in 1 player mode, or will they have an effect on any of the modes, mods, or original maps.
If they strictly change the grade of the game play as it is, then they would surely be a justifiable dld.
Sounds good so far..just waiting for more feedback before I do the obvious!!

IP:

coaxs
posted January 02, 2003 01:48 PM            
Teulk: You will not be able to race on them, that was fixed.

They will have no effect on any of the modes, mods, or original maps. They are named slightly differently.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Teulk
posted January 02, 2003 01:58 PM            
So, in essence, they are add-ons...and won't affect anything else, yes?
Also forgot to ask...strictly for the Hallstead server??

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited January 02, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted January 02, 2003 02:03 PM            
They won't affect anything.

Hallsted will use them and they will be used for DDMs.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Teulk
posted January 02, 2003 02:07 PM            
Gracias...dldg as I speak..will try them asap..

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 03, 2003 01:59 AM            
Now if someone REALLY wanted to race on these maps, it would be possible (theoretically) but the race maps look awfully bizarre since there are so many weapon points. To do a race map, you need to use TM mapper and change the map type. 0 = both DDm and race maps, 1 = DDM ( I think) ad 2 = race (I think).
Certainly not saying you have to go do this, but this is what was "wrong" with the first release of maps.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 03, 2003 12:08 PM            
Hm, this could add a new view on racing, with all those points you'd soon be lost completly It'd be Tanks trying to move from goal to goal battling each other. hehe, could get a real small map with *BIG* walls for this.

IP:

posted January 06, 2003 11:29 AM            
Another reminder that the clan maps were update as of last nite. The change was to make the maps usable for racing and ladder play. To get all the maps use the link below http://www.hallsted.net/treadmarks/Hallsted-Server-Pack.zip

For individual maps use the link below http://www.tbhccs.com/treadmarks/index.html

For a listing of the maps see this thread /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002997.html

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 06, 2003 12:31 PM            
Hmmmm

How's about me updating the Armageddon server to use these new maps, Boomstickville and Death Island instead of the stock?

What say you? Yay or Nay? ")

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited January 06, 2003).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 06, 2003 06:14 PM            
Sounds good to me...

IP:

posted January 06, 2003 11:36 PM            
the more the merry...

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 07, 2003 12:44 AM            
The Clan maps, Boomstickville, and Death Island are now on rotation on Armageddon. Enjoy!

Excellent work on the maps

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited January 07, 2003).]

IP:

posted January 07, 2003 04:20 PM            
Thx Killer...but you must get rid of the wave motion weapon...it turns the whole battlefield in to a big lake.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 07, 2003 04:49 PM            
That has been done as I was sued by the AI's "Save our natural habitat" Coalition.

Dang tree huggers.............

LOL

IP:

Paranor
posted January 07, 2003 07:29 PM            
where the heck do I go to get the maps on armageddon?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 07, 2003 07:38 PM            
Uh...the link at the top of this page... All the other maps are stock. Did you get the server pack from Killer's site?

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 07, 2003 10:32 PM            
I LOVE THE WAVE MOTION CANNON! when used properly you can score 10+ frags with it (now try reloading it!) it does go Jack the Ripper on the maps though. i still say thatit should be modified so that it only scrapes a little off the surface (and completely blacken the ground of course!) i have also noticed that there is a minimum range, is that intended?

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 08, 2003 12:07 AM            
Yeap. One of the snags of using it.

I can make a 'lite' version that won't eat the landscape, but I doubt it would make it any more popular on the servers. Mass insta-kill weapons are frowned upon for the most part. But as every first mod enevitably becomes a genesis device, I said, heck might as well see how much damage I can really do. LOL

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 09, 2003 03:26 PM            
i think every game should have a doomsday weapon. it has to be really rare though, and it has to be one that needs a good opportunity

------------------
Match in the gas tank, KA-BOOM!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 09, 2003 03:36 PM            
A doomsday bomb? Thats easy!

Just make a projectile that does 100% splash damage in a 2000 meter radius. And if you want to be extra sadistic, set the selfhitdelay to zero, make it the only weapon on the map, and put only one weapon spawn point with tank spawns points equi-distant from it in a circle.

It would be like the red button on the TV games shows. Lets see who can hit it first.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited January 09, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited January 09, 2003).]

IP: