This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!
Scrap Metal
posted December 30, 2002 03:59 PM            
i just have the worst luck! my new graphics card came in the mail today. i bought a radeon 9700 pro off eBay. i had my hopes up cause they say that this is the best graphics card in the world (my wallet still aches). well it fineally gets here, AND THE GUY FORGOT TO PUT THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE BOX!!!!!!!! SO NOW I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL PEICE OF GRAPHICS PROCESSING HARDWARE IN FRONT OF ME, AND I CANT USE IT BECAUSE IF I INSTALL IT WRONG, I COULD WIPE MY HARD DRIVE!!!! *punches the wall then does a flying kick into a stack of pillows*

IP:

corpse
posted December 30, 2002 04:20 PM            
go to http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/

IP:

csatlos
posted December 30, 2002 05:06 PM            
uhh.....

just so that you don't worry, you can't really erase the contents of a HDD by installing your vid card wrong.

and besides, there's not much to it. just take out your old one, put the new one in.
Also, the R9700 need power, so you have to plug a power connecter from your PSU into the connecter on the card.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 30, 2002 05:27 PM            
i already checked the site, you can get the drivers and the user's guide, but not the getting started guide.

i had my friend over who knows alot about installing this kind of stuff. true, you cant erase your hard drive by installing the card wrong, but you can sufficiently screw it up that you have to wipe it and start over.

its alot more complicated than you think. you have to remove your old gfx card's drivers, install the new drivers, remove your old gfx card, and install the new card all in just the right order as well as do some other stuff just right so that you dont end up messing up your config files or having your old card turn itself off early so that you cant tell what your doing.

it says it on the static bag that you have to connect it to the internal power supply and comes with the cable

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited December 30, 2002).]

IP:

csatlos
posted December 30, 2002 05:32 PM            
what OS do you use?

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 30, 2002 07:40 PM            
windows 98, there is no windows 98 driver but they say it works with the windows ME drivers, which i downloaded, i just need the installation guide

IP:

mr.BIG
posted December 30, 2002 08:32 PM         
Uninstall your old drivers .... shutdown ...... Pull your power cord , or turn off your surge protector .....Since you have already installed the new drivers , install the card and connect all the wires ....... turn on power and boot , 98 should recognize the new hardware . If your really paranoid then before you uninstall your old card drivers put them on a floppy in case you have to reinstall them . The only way to learn is to do

------------------
Necrophilia : ........That Uncontrolable Urge To Crack Open A Cold One .... hehehe :)

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 30, 2002 09:01 PM            
havn't installed the new drivers yet had a friend with broadband download them and bring them on a disk cause they were 10 Mb. if i have both drivers installed at the same time then they may conflict with each other. i am afraid to uninstall the current drivers because im afraid that the computer will no longer know how to use the card to process visual information and the screen will totally blank. i can do a little with no visual display but i wont get very far. but if i install the drivers without uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers they could fight with each other. its like a lose-lose situation. i know there is a way to do it but i dont know what it is and im not willing to risk it. my parents would kill me if i wrecked this computer, it was fairly state-of-the-art when we got it and cost $1,250.00 - with a discount, we bought it from a family friend who builds computers

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited December 30, 2002).]

IP:

mr.BIG
posted December 30, 2002 09:09 PM         
It depends a bit on your mobo , I dont use the graphics part of my intel card since i have my Invidia , but in winxp i just disabled the video part . Since you bought the puter from a family freind , why not ask them for help ???? Your drivin me nuts with ifs ands and buts . Just do it hehe

------------------
Necrophilia : ........That Uncontrolable Urge To Crack Open A Cold One .... hehehe :)

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 30, 2002 09:14 PM            
cause if i take it to him, he will install it for me, and then charge me money i dont have. im only 15, i spent all my money on the card! he runs a small computer repair/custom build/upgrade/just about anything shop and still has to turn a profit. i sent an email to the seller, hopefully he will get the guide to me. i just HATE waiting!

IP:

kv
posted December 30, 2002 10:04 PM            
just follow the standard install routine for all vid cards.

1. remove the vid card entry from device manager and uninstall the drivers (if possible)

2. power down the computer, remove the old card

3. install new card, start computer

4. windows is gonna see the new card and ask for drivers (the screen will default to 256 colors in 640x480). Insert the driver disk, tell windows where the drivers are, and let it do its thing.

5. computer will restart. congrats, you just installed a vid card.

i've done this... 8? times. If any problems show up, you should really only have to reinstall windows using a boot disk.

IP:

mr.BIG
posted December 30, 2002 10:21 PM         
Yeah like i said in english

------------------

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 31, 2002 11:11 AM            
1. i have had some problems finding the old drivers.

2. the getting started guide would have been on the same CD as the drivers. i had a friend download them and put them on a CD. will it recognize it? will i be able to manually open the CD and install?

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 31, 2002 12:44 PM            
come on people! dont shut up now! i want to install thisthing and see what it does to tread marks!

IP:

Rex R
posted December 31, 2002 01:04 PM            
if your cd doesn't have a setup program windows will treat it like any other media. its been my experience that you don't even need to have the drivers on the cd just put them into an empty folder on the hd as soon as windows starts up it should, if you have followed Kv's intructions, look real crappy as windows will be in standard vga mode (one reason nearly all vid cards default to vga mode for installation) then it pop up a box saying new hardware detected. after a bit it will search for drivers, after a bit it will ask for the drivers(default is cd) insert your cd. if for some reason it can't find them you may have to browse to the proper folder and in effect say look here. at this point windows should take over. if it asks to reboot say YES

IP:

corpse
posted December 31, 2002 01:14 PM            
call the maker and ask them to send you the book on it
or tell you how to install it

Corporate Headquarters
Canada Tel: Sales - (905) 882-2600
Fax: (905) 882-2620

or

$1.25 US per minute
900-733-2841
M-F 9AM-7PM EST

or
http://apps.ati.com/cservice/webform.asp

if i was you i would pick up the phone and call them for help.

------------------
if you cant dance with the dead , get out of my coffin !

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 31, 2002 01:21 PM            
how do i find the old drivers/

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 31, 2002 01:25 PM            
u werent there corpse, i should learn to use the refresh button

i know about the number, but it would end up costing a hundred bucks, its $1.95 per min. he never sent me any warranty

IP:

corpse
posted December 31, 2002 02:02 PM            
use the on-line http://apps.ati.com/cservice/webform.asp

or ask your Daddy to put it in for you

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 31, 2002 02:35 PM            
1. i dont live in canada
2. it assumes that you have the getting started guide, thats all i need, a "how to install"

IP:

kv
posted December 31, 2002 05:38 PM            
if you can't find the old drivers, don't worry about it. Just make sure to remove the old vid card from device manager before you turn the computer off to install the new card.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 31, 2002 06:01 PM            
i have heard of the PROGRAM manager, although i dont use it, how do you find the device manager?

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited December 31, 2002).]

IP:

kv
posted December 31, 2002 07:21 PM            
right click on "my computer"

select properties

click on the device manager tab

find your vid card in the hardware list (should be listed in the "display adapter" list)

select the vid card and hit the "remove" button at the bottom. hit ok for any warnings that may appear.

the computer will want to restart itself, tell it no, then shut it down yourself (you don't want it to start up again before you install the new vid card)

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted December 31, 2002 07:25 PM            
thanks! i owe all of ya, if you dont see me for a while that means i screwed something up.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted January 01, 2003 12:59 AM            
well it worked. i feel like i have harnessed a lightning bolt and put it in my computer, but, the hight resolution makes everything so small!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2