|
Author Topic:   Car (not tank) question.
Blue n Gold Sue
posted December 23, 2002 11:59 AM            
Figuring many of you have expertise where I have none, I pose this dilemma:
It's a 1992 Honda Civic EX 4 door. It has a bad leak when it rains. Now that the rains have stopped I want to stop the leak. Taken out the floor mats to dry out. Used towels to sop up the water. Fan to help with the drying. Musty smell continues.
1) best way to get rid of the musty smell
2) best way to find out where the leak is coming from.

The car has a moon roof (factory installed) and a Yakima Rack (aftermarket), as well as 11 year old seals on the door. Is there an easy and fool proof way to tell for sure which one is failing?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted December 23, 2002 01:14 PM            
Inspect the door seals looking for cracks, rips, or missing chunks. My guess is that these would need replacing if they haven't already. If they're not leaking now, they will soon. While your at it, check the seal in the trunk as well. I bet you must have ripped some chunks out of it by now.

Remove the trim from around the inside of the windshield, then remove the trim from around the sunroof.

Sit inside the car and have someone hose down the windshield and look for any leaks. if that is ok, move on to the sunroof. gently pull down on the roof material so you can see around the seal of the sunroof.

Depending on how long it has been leaking, you may see rust where the water would seap in (both windshield and sunroof).

For the roof rack, the only way for sure is to remove the inner liner from the car roof so you can see where the rack is bolted in the roof from the inside and spray it with the hose. My guess is that this is where the problem lies, as the installation of an aftermarket roof rack means they had to drill through the body.

Cars after the mid-80's are given a bath in a special material which makes the surface impervious to rust. When you drill through the body, the inside of the drill hole does not have this protective coating and is prone to rusting. To prevent it, you're suppose to paint the hole with rustoleum to protect it. This is not done for by many aftermarket parts installers (and self-installers don't know about it for the most part). They just give it a dab of silicon, which is okay, but needs to be cleaned off and redone every few years as the silicon deteriorates eventually allowing water through.

As for the musty smell, fabreeze helps, but you're basically out of luck as the smell is usually caused by mold/mildew that has grown in they ventillation system from the moisture (it likes wet and dark areas). You're carpets may also have mold/mildew underneath them. Which can only be cured by replacing them. Carpet cleaners won't work as the problem area is between the carpet and the car body. The underside of the carpet is coated with either rubber or soft plastic to keep water from permeating through it, so the cleaning solution cannot get to the mold. If water gets between the carpet and the body (either by dripping through the edges, or a hole worn through the undercoating of the carpet), you get the mold problem.

Open the valve on the garden hose all the way so you have a flow not a spray. The power should be set so that the water curves and not jets straight out.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 23, 2002 01:46 PM            
aquarium sealer/cement works wonders for sealing around windscreens. I would suggest that you wet down only one area at a time (there may be more than one leak) talcum(baby)powder sprinkled on door/trunk seals before hand will let you see where they are leaking

IP:

corpse
posted December 23, 2002 01:57 PM            
roll up the windows !

------------------
if you cant dance with the dead , get out of my coffin !

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted December 23, 2002 02:23 PM            
Fill it up with water, you should see the leak coming out. Thats what i would do anyhow.

IP:

John B.
posted December 23, 2002 03:21 PM         
The sunroofs have drain with tubes attached. These usually run out the back and down behind the trim in the trunk. At teh end are little valves. Make sure they are clear. You can run water into the to make sure it comes out.

IP:

corpse
posted December 23, 2002 11:57 PM            
hay Sue
put all the jokeing aside,if you bring me your car.
i'll help you find the leaks.
make it on a weekend.
1st} we drink a 12 pack or 2.
2nd} we go down to the boat ramp. then YOU get in and we push YOU into the lake.
3rd} look for were the water is coming in.

one more thing see if you can find my old TM cd

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted December 24, 2002 03:10 AM            
ROFL.
Thanks for the suggestions. Even the ones I *know* not to try.

IP: