This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Unable to connect to servers
docw
posted December 14, 2002 01:16 PM            
I got Treadmarks version 1.6 and am trying to play multiplayer with my broadband connection. I have a firewall that I disabled, but when I try to refresh internet or ping servers, I don't get any servers displayed on my screen...for some reason it won't connect no matter how long I try. Anyone got any ideas why ?

IP:

Rex R
posted December 14, 2002 02:22 PM            
it may be that you're trying to reach the master at the wrong address( not your fault, the master moved) try typing in this address for the master 206.222.78.139 and see if that lets you connect. please let us know if it worked or not(so we can try something else or stop worrying) lets see there was something else...oh right welcome to the forum

IP:

synack
posted December 14, 2002 02:46 PM         
I don't think that's it, Rex. TM will automatically go to the website to pick up the address of the Master Server if it doesn't find it at the default address.

Hmmmmm ... is a puzzlement.

Oh yeah ... welcome to our little TM family!

Now hurry up and get online so we can ... um .. er ... meet! yeah, that's it.

[This message has been edited by synack (edited December 14, 2002).]

IP:

synack
posted December 14, 2002 02:51 PM         
It's not the best solution, but you can also type in a known IP address of one of the servers.

The LDA server, on which many people play, is 206.222.78.139:12300

Just type it in on the screen where it says "Connect to (TCP/IP)"

Try that if nothing else works. It's a start.

IP:

synack
posted December 14, 2002 04:10 PM         
This really bothers me, because it should work.

I know you said you disabled your firewall, but it really sounds like something is blocking TM-generated IP traffic outbound from your PC. Obviously you're getting onto the Internet via HTTP. So what's the problem here?? I'm running ZoneAlarm personal firewall and I have DSL. The first time I tried TM with the firewall, it asked me if I wanted to allow the traffic. I said 'yes', and I've had no problem.

Can you open a command prompt and ping a site successfully that way? If not, I really suspect that firewall. Make sure it's shut down, not just disabled. Who knows. Good luck. Let us know what's going on.

IP:

mr.BIG
posted December 14, 2002 08:05 PM         
Just maybe , he tried to connect when there was routine maintenance with the LDA server ??? Maybe he needed to re-boot ???
Maybe the Gods determined it wasn't time for him to get his arse kicked hehe .
Who the hell knows , we all at some time or other had login problems .
mr. BIG can't relate hehe !

------------------
" TEAMWORK " ....hide out in a group ...... and they'll never see your faults !

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted December 14, 2002 08:54 PM            
That is obvious you cannot relate mr. insignificant. The idea is to provide assistance with the problem not commenets about your impotence with the problem or failure to just read and help. Sorry you cannot relate to the common man, but we realize that can be a problem for you so carry on.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited December 14, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 14, 2002 09:22 PM            
If you disabled your installed firewall, (nortons for example) and youre on XP home or Pro - try looking at the XP Firewall to see if thats active too.

As far as your own firrewall is concerned, you need to allow tm.exe and treadmarks.exe TCP & UDP with IN/OUT to any IP, you may also need to put in the indevidual server ip's dependant on your firewall setup.

You will know if this is the case becaus ethe servers will show with impossibly high pings.

Also you dont mention if youre connecting thru a router which also has a built in firewall you may have overlooked.

IP:

mr.BIG
posted December 14, 2002 09:52 PM         
Tsk tsk Sailor , you don't even know me , but carry on as if you do .I've never insulted you as you have me , you arrogant SOB .
I as many others have had login problems , mostly ascribed to LDA when you try to connect with their server .
I was only pointing out that it may have been a temporary problem with their end .
So take your obvious play at so called help for the newbie and stick it where the sun don't shine .... Jerk !

------------------

IP:

wolfman
posted December 14, 2002 09:56 PM            
Chilllllllllllll Dude lol Note the winky face - on the post before yours.

IP:

wolfman
posted December 14, 2002 09:57 PM            
RexR might of had the correct answer - I know that was the case with me and my PC - and I am on broad band also. Just a thought. Ciao JT

IP:

mr.BIG
posted December 14, 2002 10:08 PM         
I note your concern Wolfman , but quite frankly it's none of your beeswax .
It will be though if you insult me the way Sailor did! The impunity of the sod . I've seen you online and commend you on your sense of fairplay .
If you who knows me a little were to impune me , I might take note of it , but not a writer !!! Is he too old to play ?????

------------------

IP:

mr.BIG
posted December 14, 2002 10:14 PM         
And for the record , smiley's or frownies or what ever the hell doesn't change the intent of ANY remark . You want me ???
Come get me , I'm waitin for ya .
Any of ya , I play the same way enemy or not . My bad side is my bad side period . And I never forget either . I try to play fair , until you don't.
Then you get to see what Hell is all about !

------------------

IP:

wolfman
posted December 15, 2002 12:02 AM            
No prob - though chill for all would still be good. Never have had a cross word with you at all - yet you pose a veiled threat on what would happen to me if I insult you. Since I have not in the past why make the comment/veiled threat.
"I note your concern Wolfman , but quite frankly it's none of your beeswax .
It will be though if you insult me the way Sailor did!"
Use of any word is key - no tonal patterns or body language to go by. Think everyone just needs to keep mellow - it's just a game - play fair, play often, have fun. Peace. JT

------------------
Anarchists of the world unite and organize ;) And you too can be a militant pacifist!

IP:

mr.BIG
posted December 15, 2002 12:17 AM         

Wolfman you continue to involve your self , which means you intended to involve yourself in my matters.
I have nothing against you of a personal nature , but you are making it difficult . Do you belong to any clan ???
This is a beyond person to person , and smacks of an affiliation with a gang ??? What is your affiliation in the TM context ??? I speak only for myself , and why you make a big deal out of this is beyond anyone's comprehension. I would expect it from your boss , but thought you had a mind of your own .
My and other independents mistake .
Just another Lemming Eh???

------------------

IP:

wolfman
posted December 15, 2002 12:34 AM            
Speaking for myself - and to clear a few things up I give you the following what not. No one made a big deal of anything. Here are my observations.
1. This is a Public Forum
2. Already said nothing more to follow to your tiff.
3. YOU, not I or anyone else, made the veiled threat of what would happen to ME for no reason.
4. My affiliation as you would call it is plain to see "LWA Wolfman or LWA Wolfdude" when I play online.
5. No idea where this came from: "This is a beyond person to person , and smacks of an affiliation with a gang ??? " Real curious about this one - express my opinion on a blatant threat towards me and now it is a conspiracy - interesting point of view.

That's it. Nothing more. See you online. Frag you later. JT

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted December 15, 2002 01:47 AM            
<wondering if I should dare open the door. Is it safe inside?>
mr. Big: I am not sure if you are familiar with the teams in Treadmarks. Most of them are only teams, but in the gaming world, the name clan has stuck. I think of them as teams only - a group of people who like to play together and who practice together in order to participate in the DDM (Deadlist Death Match). The DDM is a set play date (Sunday, 5 pm Pacific time) for anyone to play in. Coax (a long time TM player and moderator) and Irascible (another player and currently silent participant in the forums after the last "discussion" here) keep the stats for the DDM on Coax's site (http://www.geocities.com/coaxs/). Clan/team affiliation is not required.
Occasionally, the DDM is slated to be a CLAN battle. Here the players play as a TEAM and individual scores are not tallied, just team scores.
The teams (as I recall them) are:
DNX: run by Matrix. DNX has teams for many on line games.
BWL (Black Widow Lance): they also host a tool called TMMapper if you get into modding maps.
D.O.G. (Death or Glory)
AoD: Angels of Death
GA: Golden Ants
ZE: Zyon Enterprises
Temporal Chaos:
and the LWA: Lone Wolf Association. These guys are the non-clan clan. A group of individuals who want to be able to play in team events, but not have "real" clan membership. Of course, you have to be willing to join the group, so you can't just log on that day as a LWA to play the game.

I don't think the clan thing is that big a deal. It's not a race thing. It's not a gang thing (at least not for me) but it is a way to play with a group of people who share similar fighting styles and time of play. . .

I'm hoping that clear up a bit of who's who and what's what around here?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted December 15, 2002 01:49 AM            
Oh, and to be even more helpful:
Killer has a log scan set up with a number of TM servers (the independent ones, not LDA). If you ever need to get the IP address of the servers, check 'em out here: http://www.boomstickjoes.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=TMServers/popload.php&group=T MServers

FYI the cooling fan is out on our server (the GA server) we hope to get it up and running again soon
Edit note: fixed typos

[This message has been edited by Blue n Gold Sue (edited December 15, 2002).]

IP:

Rex R
posted December 15, 2002 02:36 AM            
time for the duct tape and blow dryer

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted December 15, 2002 03:25 AM            
Matrix, I had no idea XP has a built in firewall. I'm using Xp professional right now and I never saw anything like that. Heh, tell me how to find it.

IP:

synack
posted December 15, 2002 07:14 AM         
Those of you who've been around awhile recall that LDA did move the master server to their new digs. We didn't have to manually change the master IP address because they designed TM to go to their website to check the master IP address if it couldn't connect to the address installed by default. That's not to say that you couldn't change it manually ... just that you didn't have to.

The only place you DID have to change it manually was in the TM Master Client tool they made available to us to check on servers and players without starting up the full game.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 15, 2002 10:47 AM            
To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall

Open Network Connections Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:

To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

Notes

To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

If you clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box, the firewall on your computer is disabled, and your network is vulnerable to intrusions.

You should not enable Internet Connection Firewall on virtual private networking (VPN) connections or on client computers because ICF will interfere with file and printer sharing. ICF cannot be enabled on the private connections of the Internet Connection Sharing host computer.
Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall, Discovery and Control, and Network Bridge are not available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.

IP:

corpse
posted December 15, 2002 12:55 PM            
all i have to say is
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

------------------
if you cant dance with the dead , get out of my coffin !

IP:

mishmash
posted December 15, 2002 06:38 PM            
Hey Matrix,
May i join your clan,
I feel left out!!!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 15, 2002 10:07 PM            
Contact Superunknown on the servers, he will sort you out with a skill test and see what ur like against others.

If you pass, he will give you info for the next step.

Thx for the interest

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2