|
Author Topic:   Red X Yellow/Orange Circle
wolfman
posted December 08, 2002 03:25 AM            
This is for the PC Gurus, Guros, lol out there. Trying to figure out what program is changing my icons for the other programs on my desk top. Programs all work fine - but instead of normal icon - it shows me the program's name and the icon is a Yellowish / Orangish Circle with a Reddish X - kind of squished in it. Thought I knew what it was = but not. Thanks.
JT

IP:

Rex R
posted December 08, 2002 04:46 AM            
dunno. have you run an AV scan as a precaution?

IP:

wolfman
posted December 08, 2002 02:42 PM            
Done and checked - ad aware done as well. Remember way back when I had downloaded a program and it did this - just can't remember now which one it was lol Will teach me not to take notes. TX JT

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted December 08, 2002 06:21 PM            
Have you look for icons program association in the file type editor
in the folder options of the filer.

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 09, 2002 01:24 AM            
There is a hidden icon cache file in your windows directory, "ShellIconCache", which contains a copy of all the default desktop icons. It sometimes gets corrupted. If it does, your icons will go all black or they may display the wrong icons. If this happens, delete it and reboot. NT (& Win9x) will repopulate the cache with the default icons.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited December 09, 2002).]

IP:

wolfman
posted December 10, 2002 06:11 PM            
Corrected now - pretty much did what matrix had to say - per compaq people. Though now when I do a search for "ShellIconCache" nothing is found. Though all seems to work fine. Thanks to all again. JT

IP: