|
Author Topic:   Haunted House?
Niimaur
posted November 06, 2002 11:14 AM         
I was on on Saturday and there was a Haunted House server running. I was aware that this was under developmentas I had seen it when downloading other maps, e.g. Poolhall, Storm Racer, etc.. It appeared to be restricted in some way (?) but it gave a URL for the map, so off I went to find it. But it gave me a weird HTTP error (408/9?) and seemed to be on a YaBB bulletin board.

Anyone else know anything about this?

------------------

Niimaur aka Nim - Dwarf

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 06, 2002 01:13 PM            
The Haunted House map is one of Matrix's maps. Go check the DMF site and you should be able to find it...

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 06, 2002 02:03 PM            
I know a bit about that, as it was my pc running the server. I posted the link and I must have snagged the url when I was logged on. Since you aren't using my name or my password, you got the error. My fault. Sorry. Try using the same url and then delete the last part of it (that way you will get to the forum but not have to be logged in). Once on Matrix's YaBB board, navigate to the TM Mods section and in there you will find the link to the Haunted House map. My server is currently down (doing the scan disc and defragmenter thing right now), but I will put it back up later today. It will be up and down depending on what I am using my PC for. I have a DSL line, but the upstream isn't hot (the downstream is hot, though) so I can't host more than 4 people at a time and I have limited the bots to 4 based upon feedback from BZP. If anyone wants to play it and it is not up, try ICQing me and ask. If I am around and not in the middle of a game myself, I would be happy to put it up for you

IP:

Niimaur
posted November 12, 2002 08:47 AM         
Thanks, Blue n Gold Sue. I would like to have a look at the map ... and if the server happens to be up, I may give that a bash too.
Blue n Gold Sue said:
quote:
... and defragmenter thing ...

Is this some special device for reducing your Deaths count?

------------------

Niimaur aka Nim - Dwarf

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 12, 2002 04:20 PM            
If only, if only. . .

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 13, 2002 06:24 AM            
Best if you dont play this map online anyway, its awful online... offline against ai's or on lan its the clown konkers.. but i dunno if the servers can take all the info used on this map, trees change place and change id, ambient sounds dont play, and some graphics are screwed up... play it SP and everythings ok.

No clue if this is server capability related or not, been wondering if theres a maximum capacity for online maps data-packet wise. It's as annoying as hell cos its by far the most complex map ive yet made ! and errors like this make me wonder if its worth building bigger and better when servers wont run it properly.

IP:

Niimaur
posted November 13, 2002 08:36 AM         
Thanks, Matrix. Advice duly noted. I'll give it a whirl and let you know.

------------------

Niimaur aka Nim - Dwarf

[This message has been edited by Niimaur (edited November 13, 2002).]

IP:

Niimaur
posted November 14, 2002 09:57 AM         
@ Matrix: That is an exceptional piece of work. Very atmospheric, especially when played with all the lights out and all four PC speakers turned on I got a bit of a shock to discover that I could actually go into the Haunted House although it was a bit of an anti-climax to find out that it wasn't really haunted!

------------------

Niimaur aka Nim - Dwarf

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 14, 2002 09:07 PM            
Thx for the comment man - however you werent supposed to be able to enter the house, that was in error lol - oh well good for fooling newbies as you can turn the tabes on em real easy when they cant see which direction youre facing once inside so strategicly is a possitive error

Given that the number of problems grows as the level of complexity leaps ahead; i think that will be my most complex map - i can do far more but i dont see the point unless it works ok on LAN, ill need some1 to let me know on that score..

I had a mangrove swamp idea as well as waterboat racing mod - but i really dont think they will function well online.

that said id love to be proved wrong and some1 better the haunted house idea. im waiting on the b5 mod release too see what else is possible. with Rc on the case the maps should be something special beyond my capabilities thus far..

IP:

CyberCannon
posted November 17, 2002 12:25 AM            
I would love to see a boat Mod even if it is just for my own enjoyment. Thanks for the work you have done so far and good luck on the ones yet to come.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

Rex R
posted November 17, 2002 03:53 AM            
I'm willing to try the haunted house on a Lan, but all I find is a teaser pic. might some one provide a link?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 17, 2002 08:58 AM            
"On Matrix's YaBB board, navigate to the TM Mods section and in there you will find the link to the Haunted House map"-Sue

DMF Forums

The DMF TM webpage is now a dead doornail, just a tools and tutorials hub unless something amazing happens or theres some major bit of news; so thats not going to be updated for quite a while - all efforts are now on the TSI and BREED Fed sites since nobody in TM is really up for tournaments and ladders as such; and as pointed out recently, any news is on here first anyway...

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited November 17, 2002).]

IP:

Rex R
posted November 17, 2002 06:14 PM            
found it, thanks (dling as I type) will keep you advised. big Q will be, will it run on the old box. data shouldn't be a big issue as far as lan traffic since you're limited to 10k(net rate) anyway.

IP:

Rex R
posted November 18, 2002 06:36 PM            
right, preliminary report.
tried it out this morning, the one notable thing I found was; load times are significally longer. aside from that it seems to run fine, it might even be ok over the internet*. nice atmosphere, btw do the tombstones respawn?

*the long load times may require several attemps to connect.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 18, 2002 11:39 PM            
Yes, load time is an issue - bland empty maps dont have this issue as they are only a few hundred k' as you can see theres a lot of data to load.

Tombestones do not respawn once destroyed no.

In your lan testing, did the ambient sounds play like in SP mode? and are all the zombies correctly drawn on the screen - ie are any of their magic-black surrounds filled in to form a black block... this error does not occur in SP mode.

In my online test with sue, bamzippow and a mystery player, sue was hosting on DSL and to my knowledge nobody had a connection error issue, ping was high for me, but then thats nothing unusual lol...

Thx for your efforts thus far Rex your feedback is most appreciated and Thank you sue for running a server for ppl to playtest the map

Anyone tried an MP pooltable yet ? (must get the settings right or it wont look the part )

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited November 18, 2002).]

IP:

Rex R
posted November 19, 2002 01:57 AM            
everything seemed to be fine, least nothing that I noticed, zombies et al were fine. even lobbed a nuke into the house(semi-floating house ) the AI did drive into and through the house (no hiding from them)
note
the box I were using as a client; p2 400mhz 64mb ram. also removed my addons folder as suggested before installing the map( on both boxes)

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 19, 2002 03:17 AM            
Oh, I'll have to remember to put up the server from time to time. I don't want to have it running forever as the lag gets noticibly worse if I am on the net at the same time. I wasn't too worried about putting it up, as Matrix really felt the graphics were an issue for the 'net. I'll run it for a while longer if people are curious about playing the map in MP.

IP: