|
Author Topic:   keyboard problem
Rex R
posted November 03, 2002 01:24 AM            
had a possible 'disaster' with my other comp. keyboard recieved a bath of sweetend tea (6-8 oz) I shut down the box quickly and upplugged kb then drained tea, and rinsed several times (with clean h2o). question. was all that a pointless effort, how long should one give a kb to dry. did I hose the kb and should I be looking to buy a replacement?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 03, 2002 01:28 AM            
go buy some isopropanol alcohol, and give it a thorough soak, make sure u cover hje keyboard membrane.

water wont do it if there was any amount of sugar in the tea.

Cheap keyboard ? buy a new one - if its an expensive one, its worth the effort.

Give it an hours soak - 2 if your desperate 3 if youre paranoid. take out and hang on the washing like for a day or so, let the wind blow in round n thru it - should be fine n dandy when u plug it back in.

Grab a couple of ferrite rings and slip them on the cable and right upto the kayboard itself - selotape glue or whatever but keep em there - they will filter out and subsequent noise damage in the elecetrical signal allowing the strong signals a clean passthru.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited November 03, 2002).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 03, 2002 01:30 AM            
Believe it or not but you can take yer keyboard apart and wipe it down. Depending on the make/model of the keyboard it might have the typical membrane type contacts. It's really easy to work with.

You should be able to find the screws on the bottom of the keyboard to disassemble. Work over the table and keep track of all the screws. Wash/rinse/blot the membrane dry. That's it. It should be as good as new.

IP:

Rex R
posted November 03, 2002 01:33 AM            
heh if I hang it out on the line it would prolly freeze, soo guess I'll go looking fer a new one. as for cost dunno it came wit the box (IIRC 5 yrs ago) had to use a sharpie to reletter some of the keys (prior to recent bath)

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 03, 2002 04:24 AM            
can also set it in a warmed oven. David "routinely" cleans things and dried them in this manner. Most electronics get a heat test (part of what he does) so it doesn't hurt them. Just make sure the oven is NOT on a hot setting

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 03, 2002 04:25 AM            
The alcohol works as it is more volatile and will evaporate quicker. . . Meaning it dries quicker.

IP:

Rex R
posted November 03, 2002 05:49 AM            
well the operation was a success...but the patient died. oh well can get a replacement for under $20 and I'll be able to read all the keys

IP: