|
Author Topic:   video card Qs
Rex R
posted October 22, 2002 03:42 AM            
been looking at vid cards and have a (few) questions. I have a hp pavillion 7955, according to hp's website, it has a agp 4x slot. I see that a no. of the new cards are 8x, can you run them in a 4x slot or am I relegated to hunting through the used equipment stores looking for an older card (in comparision)? current 'card' is a tnt2 m64 so it would seem that just about anything would be an improvement.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 22, 2002 06:24 AM            
Yes, you can run 8x cards in a 4x slot.

Are you looking to upgrade yer comp in the near future (within 6 months-1 year)? If not, save yer money and get a GF4 4200 for around $150 or so...

IP:

Rex R
posted October 22, 2002 11:45 AM            
were kinda thinking to run this 'puter pretty much as is (well aside from this blessed vid card) a 1.5 ghz p4 ought to ok fer a while. I getting round 50fps (mostly thro brute force) be nice have it higher. heh nvidia's website has an 'analyze my comp' feature, said a gf3 would run 441% faster than my current setup

IP:

ping of death
posted October 22, 2002 03:42 PM         
I'm looking to upgrade also. I have a 533 MHz CPU nothing spectacular. I'm planning on keeping the pc around for awhile. Gaming is all I'm interested in improving. Same recommendation for me also, the GF4 4200?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 22, 2002 04:45 PM            
More specs on yer comp would help a lot, please.

What kind of motherboard is it? Do you know the chipset it's running? Do you know if yer AGP is 4x or not? Just more info...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 22, 2002 04:49 PM            
RexR,

According to HP's website...yer comp was supposed to have a GF3 in it already. Did you customize it for a lesser card when you got it? Hmmm...

You could go with a GF3 instead of the GF4. If it's just TM that yer looking to improve, shoot fer the GF3 for about $50 less than the GF4 4200.

And whatever you do, don't even think about getting the GF4 MX series. It's not worth yer time...really!!

IP:

ping of death
posted October 22, 2002 04:56 PM         
Hey Bam, I have no idea what the specs are. I will check it out tonight. Its a e-machines 533 if that helps at all.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 22, 2002 06:19 PM            
Goto http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra and download that proggie. Build a report (just the information report should do fine) and send it to me. You can specify either HTML or text.

Hmmm...eMachines. Might be limited to what we can do but I'll take a shot at it.

IP:

Rex R
posted October 23, 2002 02:04 AM            
er no the tnt2 was factory installed (in the agp slot) and hoo boy it did not want to come out(cost me some hide) I think the next model up might have had the gf3...for more than I paid total (including mem upgrade) also not in stock at the time (just before x-mas) went with the gf4 mx not a great improvement(bout 10 fps) but I'm now running 32 bit textures and higher res. 1 feature I doubt I'll ever use, tv-out. my moniter is bigger than my tv (17" vs 13") and looks and sounds better to boot. course on the gripping hand if I ever want to record a video of a ddm...

IP:

ARAGON
posted October 24, 2002 10:49 PM            
BZP, can you help me out also? I need to upgrade my vid card as well.

IP: