This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   I'm quitting
Paranor
posted October 14, 2002 11:07 AM            
....hosting the DDM history pictures and other stuff. MADE YOU LOOK!

Ok, who started this joke idea anyway?

Seriously, I'm not able to devote any quality time to all of the stuff I have. Plus, I'm going to be dabbling in politics so I need to clear up my schedule.

The area I'm dabling in is the school board. Our schools are in trouble. We are facing $1 - $1.5 million in deficits every year for at least the next 4 years. Why? Because of the way our *)$*@)$ state does things, we can paid x number of dollars per student. Our student enrollment is going down. Expenses obviously go up. We have about a $95 million dollar budget. Only $6 million is for the actual education.

We are going to lose 1000 students in the next 4-5 years. $7000 per student times 1000 students = disaster. And our school board is inept. 95% of the city residents are even aware that this will happen. They are already PO'd about our current $950,000 deficit.

Our state government is going to do squat - they have billions in deficits to take care of at the state level and our only 2 governers to pick from are Dumb and Dumber (dumber being the Democrat. hehe).

Plus there is inequities in our schools. One school doesn't even have a art room. The art teacher walks around on a cart. THESE KIDS WILL NEVER DO CLAY PROJECTS! THAT IS SO WRONG!

Another school is falling apart. It has no computer labs. Yet the school board is mandating keyboarding skills for all 5th graders. WTF - where are they going to learn that if there are NO COMPUTER LABS YOU IDIOTS!

Another schools boiler is so old that if it fails, that's it. That's 300 students to ship where? And the ONLY way to get it out is to dig up a side of the building to get into the basement. The school is that old. But it's in good shape.

I could go on and on and the only thing the board argues about is who should pay for their donuts when they have meetings. sigh.....

Part of my contribution is to setup a web site. Their board is beyond lame. http://www.oshkosh.k12.wi.us/BoardofEducation.htm

The public needs to be communicated to. I'm going to work in conjunction with the PTO's, the newspaper and the school superintendent. Hopefully the school board will be helpful but I"m not holding my breath.

So these are the changes:

1) I can no longer host the DDM and Clan War pics. Coax/Ras, you want to do this since you run the stats? They are all neatly labeled so no need to figure out which is for what.

2) RC - can you archive the TM movies that I have?

3) All - my discussion board is going to have to get dumped. I've enjoyed it immensley. We've had over 4200 posts since July. Mostly by 10 of the 42 registered users but that's still impressive. If anyone wants to continue hosting, I can just ZIP it up and email it to you. Otherwise maybe talk to Gold_Ant about adding some forums? Or BWL? Or DMF and use his bandwidth? These were 99% non-tm posts. It was fun learning the minds of the TM players.

4) I WILL STILL CONTINUE TO RUN THE DDM'S. However, I somewhat apologize for the apparant lack of enthusiasm the past few weeks. It's not that - I still very much enjoy this game. However, my weekends are SO busy! As an example, my truck lease is up at the end of October. My wife and I purchased the replacement vehicle in the middle of August. That's how busy my weekends and thus weekdays are.

thanks!

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited October 14, 2002).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 2002 11:23 AM            
Paranor: I'm not sure I have the space to handle animations. I can certainly handle images, but movies get big fast.

As for forums, BWL already has forums

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 14, 2002 12:19 PM            
Par, as one of the users of your forum, I want to thank you for having hosted it. I know it will be missed, but something will take over. You have been very generous with your time to the TM community. It looks like a more pressing endevour will take your time. Good luck with politics. It will be time well spent. Frustrating, yes, but very worthwhile. Thank you for what you have done so far.

IP:

Paranor
posted October 14, 2002 12:54 PM            
thank you Sue.

RC - you need to check my site again - BWL does not have the same forums.

EDIT: Dreamer, can you hold the video files? Matrix?

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited October 14, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted October 14, 2002 01:14 PM            
BTW - the servre isn't down. My PC is still off from the LAN party. Should be on by evening.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 14, 2002 02:27 PM            
I have the space, its just i he a crappy 56k connection so yes for the pics, yes for the forum but no for the movies im afraid.

Besides, im having probs getting the yabb forum going, could do with a short chat with you. Followed everything to the letter as in the install instructions but its still a no show, even after all the octal RWxing; im almost certain its related to the perl engine path in sone way. Ill try n catch you on icq l8r tonight, see what can be fnegged around.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 14, 2002 05:00 PM            
Par, as one of the more prolific posters on your board I will miss it. I do understand why you need to get rid of it, and thank you for running it while you did. I wish you well in your political endeavors, especially since you are dealing with a school board.

CC

IP:

Paranor
posted October 14, 2002 05:32 PM            
hey, anyone with a DSL/CABLE modem can run one too!

Matrix - we'll try to get in touch.

YABB.PL
#!c:/perl/bin/perl.exe

is what I have using Activestate Active Perle 5.6. Windows platform. I'm not manly enough like Dreamer.

IP:

coaxs
posted October 14, 2002 06:08 PM            
Paranor, dude zip up the forum and send it over to me, I'll get Harmless to integrate into my forum.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted October 14, 2002 08:30 PM            
RIP eh!! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, dude! I've enjoyed it also (apart from the ear-clipping )!! hehe...even that :P

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 14, 2002 09:45 PM            
Im on a unix base with:

YABB.CGI
#!e:\perl\bin\perl.exe

Im told its in E: by the hosting company, bugger still wont fire up tho.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 14, 2002 09:47 PM            
AS LONG AS YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING TM!!!!!!!.Your sparring partner is back

IP:

posted October 15, 2002 01:49 AM            
Oh...Par...you have it easy...the Berkeley school district is $14 million in the hole...Yes $14 MILLION...you might ask "How did that happen?"...Well I want to know after the 1st million on the hole, why didn't anyone notice it?

As for the keyboard skills...I wish the school districts would drop all computer requirements and concentrate on the 3 R's, reading, writing and arithmetic...think about it...20 years from now when they get their 1st job I doubt that they will be using keyboard...too much carpal tunnel syndrome now in the work place.

Hey...I hope harmless will take up the forum...and thanks for having it. Good luck on the school politics...I wish your new endeavor success

IP:

AoDwingsofdeath
posted October 15, 2002 02:29 AM         
if you guys need anything hosted i will gladly put it up on the aod server, as we have the space and bandwidth to handle it

Ban Sach

IP:

Dreamer
posted October 15, 2002 07:45 AM         
Hosting the forums at www.treadmarks.de should not be a problem - one advantage being that the forum would be kept as-is, without integrating it into another one.

I'm afraid I can't (reliably) host larger files, though.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited October 15, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted October 15, 2002 09:49 AM            
OK, so should I ZIP it up Dreamer and put it on my FTP server?

Ni - you are a rascal.

666 - holy schnikes - $14 million? Does CA have it setup like WI where the local school board cannot raise taxes without a referendum?

Super - I'M GONNA KICK YOUR BUTT BOYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited October 15, 2002).]

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 15, 2002 12:33 PM            
Hi,

CA specific, we had Proposition 13, way back, it was called the Jarvis Initiative (showing my age).
The day the bill was up for voting, we had our first and only election related student announcement at my school. They explained what was going away if the proposition passed. Ten minutes later it was announced that the proposition passed. School ended and they literally coralled us out and locked the gates. No more after school anything.
At that time, CA was number two (2) in the country for quality of education. Now I believe that CA is somewhere around 47th for quality of education.
I was lucky, I had already reaped the benefits of the MGM program (I thinks it's called GATE now) which was a state mandate for students tested to a higher than average IQ. We got to be alienated from all of our peers by going to all of Shakespeares movies, but that's another story.
Anyway, from that point on and throughout the remainder of my public education, any extracurricular activity was a pay to play option.
My mother was a teacher at the time, bilingual, worked in one of the toughest schools in Los Angeles (only one I know of with armed security). She loved teaching, but by the time she had retired (early), she was bitter and said had she it all to do over, she would do anything else but teach. This from an educator who was the subject of several local news essays in the media for her collaboration in innovative teaching methods.
Sorry for the rant.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com

IP:

Paranor
posted October 15, 2002 01:28 PM            
wow, so basically if you wanted to play basketball you had to pay 100% of costs?

Does that include non-sports extra-curricular activities like debate?

IP:

posted October 15, 2002 04:03 PM            
yes Par...Vor is correct...Prop 13 destroyed the public education in sunny California. Yes, you need to ask the voter to tax themselves to get additional money. And yes...California was at the top and is now at the bottom of the education system...very sad.

IP:

coaxs
posted October 15, 2002 04:28 PM            
I graduated from a californian public school relatively recently, I'm screwed.

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited October 16, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted October 16, 2002 11:55 AM            
i think those standardized tests are friggin stupid.

get this, in our school district my son is getting tested for 4th grade profeciency this month. yes, this month. as in we just started school. WTF

only the teachers know whether or not a student should pass and the grading should be ACBDF and none of this feel-good bull sheat. for heavens sake, don't hurt their feelings. but their feelings get hurt when they come home with a bad grade so I guess it doesn't matter.

my quest will be to sharpen the quality of educaiton we receive and let the teachers worry about how to fix passing those tests. because they sure don't prep the students to learn - they prep them to pass.

and i just noticed i was lazy and did all small letters.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 16, 2002 12:12 PM            
Interesting school district. A before C before B...hmmm...

PS - I think standardized tests don't do anything useful...I always passed them easily with no work...and often a year before they were supposed to be taken. The do nothing but prove that you really are no more then 1-2 years BEHIND where you should be!

I mean, if you're an Honors math student, what is the point of taking a standardized math test to make sure you pass the below average math skills?

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 17, 2002 12:35 AM            
As they found out in the international schoolastic competitions. U.S. students performed far below most, if not all, of the developed countries, but they felt the best about their performance. The Japanese did the best, but they felt the worst over their performance. Maybe this idea of not hurting the psyche is impeding sometin?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 17, 2002 03:38 AM            
Back to the prop 13 issue:
While I benefit greatly from prop 13, I don't understand how it hurt California schools so much. For those of you outside of California, prop 13 halted the astronomical increases in property tax people were getting hit with because of the inflated property values in California. For instance, if a family bought a house in 1970 for $54,000 and the house became worth $900,000 due to the horrible inflation in California, the family would only have to pay property tax on a 2% increase (on average) a year, rather than the 18 x's increase of the estimated value of the house. Many families didn't have the cash outflow to pay those kind of taxes. I believe property tax is 2% of assessed value. For the Prop 13 valuation, the taxes would be $1956 /year (approximately). The taxes based upon "current value" would be $18,000/ year. I don't know very many people who could come up with that kind of money each year, especially since the increase in valuation is only "paper money" and no gain is actually received by the property owners until the property were sold. The basis for taxes IS recalculated upon sale of a piece of property.
Having been a kid when prop 13 was passed, I don't know the specifics, but it seems to me that:
1) The passage of prop 13 was used as a scape goat to pull the plug on certain programs. The budget for school is decided upon a year in advance. The passage of a new piece of legislation doesn't affect the current budget. There was NO reason for programs to be cut off overnight.
2) Property taxes should have stayed static. Prop 13 should only have prevented the rapid rise for future years. I don't see how the property taxes raised was so dramatically affected (unless, of course the property assess value was rolled back to a previous year. I don't know that much about the law as it was passed in the late 70's)
Personally, I am GLAD prop 13 passed. We already pay over $5600/year for property taxes, an amount more than many people in other parts of the country, this is in addition to any income tax we pay. There is NO WAY we could afford to pay the property tax on the "paper value" of our home as values have risen horrifically in the last few years (despite the "off economy").

As for giving students a better education; I am all for it. Unfortunately, education does not only happen in schools, it also happens at home. (I'm going out on a limb here, but I am going willingly) [soapbox]If more families turned off the TV, read to their children, introduced their children to libraries, and paid some positive attention to their progeny, then I think students would do better (and gosh, feel better, too). Far too many kids, in this area at least, are raised by single parents, were drug exposed as infants, are in foster care, are baby-sat by the television, and don't have an adult who cares about them. I am not advocating women staying at home to raise the family, but I am advocating making Raising a Family to be more of a priority than getting the next fix or watching the lastest reality TV show.[/soapbox]

Edit note: fixed a few typos. I didn't want you all to think that I was a uneducated Californian (I did graduate from California public schools and public University)

[This message has been edited by Blue n Gold Sue (edited October 17, 2002).]

IP:

John B.
posted October 17, 2002 02:52 PM         
..... and not spend so much time on the computer playing games and chatting....

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2