This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Website goodies
Random Chaos
posted October 14, 2002 01:50 AM            
I've done a few updates to my website...
http://treadmarks.elitehunters.com/tm_download.asp

Here is what has been added:
- Description/Title Search (will not take authors)
- Direct Linking to mods

The way direct linking works: When you select the (i) for a mod, you will see a "Direct Link" hyperlink in detail window. Click on that link. When you do the page address will update. This new address is a direct link to that item.

Have fun!

------------------
Random Chaos

Admin for the EliteHunters.com: Tread Marks
Member of the GROPOS mod team
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild
randomc@treadmarks.cjb.net

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 2002 02:41 AM            
hmmm...realized I had a few, er, problems with the search system...they are all fixed.

Now I really need to get to bed - its 2:30am!

-----------
What the problems were:
- you could search for "a" and it would show the whole database - NOT good; solution: min length=2 now
- substrings were a bit too prevelent; solution: I made only start or end of words count
- previous fix caused a space at the end or start of the word to cause no results to be shown; solution: replace any instance of 2 spaces with 1
-----------

--RC

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 2002 02:45 AM            
I also added a couple custom admin modes to the site.

If you're submitting a pic/description/rating, it would be helpful if you could include the ID of the mod. To find this:

Method A:
- Click the (i), hover over the Direct Link selection. The mid=## is the ID I need.

Method B:
- Use http://treadmarks.elitehunters.com/tm_download.asp&mode=1 when sorting. The ID is now displayed in the CLASS column instead of the Class data.

Thanks for any pics/descriptions/ratings - the ID number really helps me with data entry

--RC

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited October 14, 2002).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 14, 2002 04:20 AM            
And may we thank you again for this site. I have already used it several times to get a mod for myself, or to send someone that way to get what was needed. While many of these mods do exist elsewhere, it IS VERY NICE to have them in one convenient spot.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 2002 02:19 PM            
Hmmm...found more bugs...they are solved.

Now when you use "special" characters (those being ", =, %, etc), the List Frame will no longer respond with an error message.

Boy it took me a long time to find something that did that!

If anyone is interested, what I wound up having to use was:

code:
<%= URLEncode(Request.QueryString("sdat")) %>

-- AND --

<script language=JavaScript RUNAT=SERVER>
function URLEncode(psEncodeString)
{
return escape(psEncodeString);
}
</script>

Didn't know I could get a Javascript to execute before ASP Script - now I know hopw to do it

-------------

Couple other things I changed:
If your search returns no result, you will now be told it returned nothing (instead of just seeing nothing).

--RC

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 14, 2002 05:13 PM            
RC, thanks for the great site. I got a question though. Do you have, and I did not see them, the King Tiger tank or the T-80 tank, and if so where?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 2002 05:18 PM            
King Tiger: http://treadmarks.elitehunters.com/tm_download.asp?id=34&mid=368

I don't have the T-80

BTW - I have a pic for the King Tiger - I just haven't uploaded it yet - keep getting distracted

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited October 14, 2002).]

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 14, 2002 08:01 PM            
Thanks RC. Guess I am just getting blind then.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 14, 2002 10:04 PM            
(In Sçotties best voice) That is what happens when you get old, Cyber

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 15, 2002 09:41 AM            
CyberCannon: Tip: Use the search feature I just added to find that tank - just enter King and it will come up

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 15, 2002 11:33 PM            
Queen, according to Scottie I am already old. RC, thanks for the suggestion.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 16, 2002 11:12 PM            
im new at this whole modifing thing. do the weapons, tanks, etc. replace tanks and weapons or just add on? I CANT BELIEVE IM A NEWB! THE LAST TIME I WAS A NEWB WAS LIKE 2 YEARS AGO! THIS SUCKS!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 17, 2002 12:05 AM            
Most of the time they just add on. Occasionally someone creates a mod for existing weapons/tanks. These don't replace the existing files, but they will take precidence in game so you won't see the old versions.

There are install instructions in most of the zips...at least the older ones. Kevlar did a good job of setting up all zips in a unified manner 6 months ago when he ran TM Central. I'm too lazy to do that - so anything that didn't come from TM Central (most items added since 10/8) may not have instructions in them...

--RC

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 17, 2002 03:45 AM            
It is also possible to have more than one addon folder. I keep several and change their names to be "addon" as needed. I have an addon folder for teamCTF, for microwave mods, for STORM, for RexR's ctf, and a few more that I can't recollect at this moment.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 17, 2002 04:35 PM            
so what happens if 3 people join a server, two who have every mod in existance and one who has a freshly installed version of the game? will the game crash or will the person with no mods get kicked?

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited October 17, 2002).]

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 17, 2002 04:55 PM            
in the web site, you should put it in the description if a weapon replaces another weapon

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 17, 2002 04:59 PM            
depends on whats on the server. If there are no mods (stock server), then no mods show up for any player. If there are mods, then only those mods show up. if a player doesnot have the mod, they will have the invisible weapon syndrom. THat is when the weapon is there, but since the player dosn't have the meshes, textures, and/or sounds, its invisible.

If you try to join a server without a map, then you will get either a map load error or a black screen.

If you join a server with a selected tank the server dosn't have, you won't be able to join (you can still join if the tank you pick exists on the server). If a tank is on the server that you don't have, you will have the invisible tank syndrom. you'll see projectiles and puffs of dust where the tank "is" but you will see no tank.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 17, 2002 05:59 PM            
if your shot with a weapon you dont have, how does your computer know how much damage you take?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 17, 2002 06:30 PM            
Scrap Metal - generally if sometime replaces existing LDA stuff, it says it modifies it. I know my Crater Nuke does that. Other then that, I don't really know of anything that overwrites existing items.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 17, 2002 06:33 PM            
The game syncs entites in memory with the server every time you connect to a server. What you will be missing if a server has mods that you don't have are any objects or art associated. But the entities that tell it what to do are there. Besides, the way the game calculates the damage and everything else is done server side, not client side - so you can't fool it .

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted October 17, 2002 09:38 PM            
hehe, they forsaw that one a while ago *kicks some online games *AHEM* *AHEM** hehe

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 17, 2002 10:16 PM            
iv downloaded a few weapons from the site but none of 'em work! the first thing i would guess would be that it dosnt look in the addons folder cause i had to create it myself, but i got TM in the mail two weeks ago and downloaded the latest patch... if anyone could tell me what the most commonly used mods are it would be a really big help

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 18, 2002 12:35 AM            
Scrap Metal, when you join a Multiplayer game there is a screen through which you have to click through before you can join a server. There is a description written about each server on the server list. To see what mods a server needs, just look at the lower half of the screen after clicking on a server name (and before you join the game). Most of the servers will list the website where the necessary mods can be downloaded from.
If you are interested in getting mods for single player games, but peruse the topics here. Random Chaos just put together a site full of mods, and JVortex/Kong have a site with others, as does Harmless (maps) Vordesigns, etc. . .The BWL forum has a lot of information about modding, if that interests you. All the links can be found within this forum. I would post them, but I am posting this while I am at work and my bookmarks here just don't fit the bill. Oh, and don't forget Coax's site. He has links to just about EVERYTHING!
The problem with putting all mods into just one addon folder is that the computer will only read the first 100 mods (or so, BamZipPow knows the actual number, but I can't seem to keep this number in my brain). If you happen to have more than 100 mods in there, you won't see them all within a (single player) game. Same with maps. There is a neat little program called Mod Picker that helps you select the mods you want to play within a game (RC's site, maybe for this). the other problem with having too many mods is that the sound files get "funky". There was a recent post about this, but I didn't pay much attention as it wasn't a problem I encountered.
I hope this helps you some. Keep asking if you have more questions.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 18, 2002 06:50 PM            
i dadnt say anything about having too many mods. i mean when i play a single player game, there arent any mods at all. there werent any in multiplayer either for a while, but now there showing up.

IP:

Karldar
posted October 18, 2002 08:04 PM            
Well, if there aren't any mods showing up in SP, they're either not installed correctly(mebbe they don't have the proper directory structure) or you just don't have them installed. If they're showing up in MP, the server you're on might have some(or all) server side mods. That just means that the mods utilize existing art, textures, and stuff* in the game. That way, the server simply tells your install of the game what the new entities are and, since you already have the other required files, you're able to see the mods in-game. Hope this helps, Scrap....good fraggin' the last night, cya around.

*By "stuff", I meant any other files which I couldn't remember or was unaware of for SSO mods. I'll leave clarification to someone who knows exactly what they're talkin' about and hasn't just woken up.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2