This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Prowler 420 64MB SDDR AGP Video Card
wolfman
posted October 13, 2002 06:16 PM            
Wondering if any one out there is familiar with this card and if so - is it decent etc etc On sale at Comp USA for 47.99. Thanks all JT

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 13, 2002 06:20 PM            
http://www.maddogmultimedia.com/products/video-cards/prowlerMX420plus.html

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 13, 2002 07:05 PM            
Well...its a GeForce 4 MX so its decent. Not as good as the TI's, but it is still a nice card.

I personally just got the Geforce 4 TI 4200 - could have gotten a 4600...a much better card but more then double the cost.

To me it wasn't worth it...

--RC

IP:

wolfman
posted October 13, 2002 08:06 PM            
What was the price of the card that you got? Thanks for the info Killer also JT

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 13, 2002 09:14 PM            
My card (GF 4 TI 4200) was $135 or so...

A GF 4 TI 4600 is about $260 - thus why I went with the slower one

BTW - with the 4200, 64MBs is faster then 128MBs. But with the 4600 its the other way arround.

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited October 13, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted October 14, 2002 09:11 AM            
RC - I just received my Ti 4200 thursday. 64MB module. Read that the 64 version is just as well as the 128MB version.

What brand did you get?

IP:

peeeto
posted October 14, 2002 11:21 AM         
peeeto's been really busy at werk & home, but wants to brag that he's spec'd. out a...

PNY QUADRO4 750XGL

for himself, for his new CADD workstation at the office!!!

edit:
[gloat]

quote:
"The PNY Quadro4 750XGL is based on NVIDIA's Quadro4 750 XGL GPU. With thesecond-generation nfiniteFX processor, 128 MB of unified memory, and its Lightspeed Memory Architecture II, this card delivers a previously unheard of degree of realism even to complex animations. Two separate display connectors, one analog and one digital (DVI-I), deliver resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 pixels per analog display, for a combined maximum desktop resolution of 4096 x 1536.

it should be arriving today! *drool* *drool*
[/gloat]

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited October 14, 2002).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 2002 04:18 PM            
I got an Abit card

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 14, 2002 04:46 PM            
I've got a Stealth 64 VLB :P

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 14, 2002 05:17 PM            
I get the feeling that I am outgunned in that aspect.

IP:

Paranor
posted October 14, 2002 05:29 PM            
Abit also.

Are you my other twin?

peeeto - YOU MAKE ME SICK!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 2002 05:55 PM            
Paranor: I only got mine last friday

Peeto: The card I got, while slower then the one you mention and also not a Quadro, can do all of what you mention (though slower).

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted October 14, 2002 08:47 PM            
Speaking of graphic cards, I've noticed the release of ATI's 9700 card. This is a hot graphic card. It has to be since it cost up to four hundred dollars. Would somebody compare that monster card to a GeForce Ti4600 and tell me which is better?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted October 14, 2002 09:46 PM            
I saw a Geforce 4 based value type card at Wal-Mart for $50.Wasn't aware they had gotten so cheap.My Geforce 3 was $450.Makes me sick to my stomach

IP:

peeeto
posted October 15, 2002 10:22 AM         
Par: LOL - i make myself sick sometimes, like when i was just spec-ing out new PC's (for word processing, spreadsheets, etc.), and asked if we could go also go for a souped-up workstation, and the boss casually said "ok"..!

RC: yup - from what i've read, the Ti 4xxx cards have basically the same architecture as the Quadro4 cards (and yours might actually be more similar to the Quadro4 900XGL). as you know, the Quadro's are built & driven for the CAD - they have special OGL drivers, which more accurately render 3d scenes (if anyone's interested, i can locate an interesting article about this). our office also has a Ti4400 - all the Ti's are excellent cards!

wolfman: market the price of my card was $550 (white-box version)

Dalmation: from what i've read so far, the ATI Radeon 9700 is the best thing on the market - better than the GForce 4 Ti's, and are reportedly fully DirectX 9 compliant.

i currently use a Radeon 7200 64MB SDR, which i am very happy with... HOWEVER, ATI seems to leave some things to be desired with their drivers, as they often do not implement things correctly - some examples: the Rage3D chips cannot run TreadMarks, although they should be able to and ATI never fixed the problem, and the Radeons do not display Fog correctly (as in the Direct3D game America's Army). NVidia seems to be very good at implementing the 3D software in their drivers (i do not know anything about the Radeon 9700 drivers, though).

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 15, 2002 11:44 AM            
Yes...I tend to not like ATI drivers.

I've heard a lot of problems about their Vid card drivers, and after my own bad experiences with their TV Tuner card drivers, I won't buy ATI if I can at all avoid it...even if its a slower card that I have to get.

FYI: My TV Tuner card problems were insane. Let me just list the problems!
1. Automatic detection of card did not install any drivers.
2. Install on CD only installed app, not any drivers.
3. TV Tuner required WinME WebTV installed (not true on 2000) - nice of them not to tell you this ANYWHERE in their manual or on their website. If you don't have this, not all drivers will install.
4. Driver install seems to only work on certain PCI slots.
5. Driver has HUGE memory hole in Win9x series. Seems to be much cleaner in Win2k...but still a problem.
6. Manual and CD were for 2 different install versions of the CD. Completely different set up.
7. Sometimes not all drivers install...and you have to do it again.
8. Win2k version of software crashes when no service pack is installed. They work on SP2 and SP3. Nice of ATI not to tell you this anywhere.
9. Win2k version of software 90% of the time forgets to save its settings. This results in the initial setup screen for the first 5-50 times you run it until it finally remembers to save the settings.

--RC

IP:

Paranor
posted October 15, 2002 01:30 PM            
I will never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never buy an ATI until they get their drivers fixed. I'd say 90% of people's PC's that I fix that have ATI's drivers have nothing but trouble.

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted October 15, 2002 06:35 PM            
Thanks for the imput. Somebody did say their All in wonder ATI 8500 is awsome but if this is the case then I'm going with the GeForce 3 Ti4600. I'll order me one made by MSI who is said to be a great company.

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted October 15, 2002 07:03 PM            
Errrm, I meant GeForce4 Ti4600. Brand new keyboard and I'm still making typos. >.<

IP:

King John 1st
posted October 15, 2002 07:13 PM            
Hmmm, strange that. I've found the opposite true, after building several PC's with Nvidia cards in I just couldn't find a driver that was stable on two different motherboards but when using Radeon 8500's they'd all handle anything you could throw at them and when they did have a problem it was in nearly every case that the system was not cooled nearly enough, the cards make the CPU warmer making the comps freeze or crash, a bigger fan on the CPU usually solves all of those probs.
And ATI have now a policy of updating drivers every 6 to 8 weeks with many betas in between ( so many I get bored with updating them ) so at the moment the ATI cards are the bees knees for me not only because the fact that Nvidia bought out Voodoo cards from 3dfx and quashed them and refused to support the userbase to make people buy new cards, to get us all to buy their cards, gambling on ATI not supporting their userbase at the time, but hey, I'm not bitter

IP:

King John 1st
posted October 15, 2002 07:21 PM            
P.S.
They also refused to let Microsoft put 3d support for Voodoo's in XP, how nice of them, but like I said, not even a tad bitter

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted October 15, 2002 08:15 PM            
Okay. Which of the top notch cards from both sides are better? Are the 9700 cards better than the 4600 cards? Which one cranks out more horses than the other? I've had no problem with the Nvidia drivers on both my Tyan and Gigabyte motherboards so which of the two are better?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 15, 2002 09:45 PM            
The latest ATI is faster then the latest nVidia.

------

King John - I have never seen problems with nVidia's drivers. There is only 1 driver for all nVidia cards (Detonator drivers). I don't understand what this "I just couldn't find a driver that was stable on two different motherboards" - there is only one driver!

I did have a problem getting the nVidia drivers for Linux to work on a laptop...but that was a problem with the AGP apeture, not nVidia. In fact, nVidia provided a work arround for that problem...though they don't mention it in their instructions, its there.

IP:

Paranor
posted October 16, 2002 11:51 AM            
that is correct - ATI has the fastest. Until Nvidia 5. Then ATI will be a turttle.

IP:

King John 1st
posted October 16, 2002 03:56 PM            
It was on Chaintech, ECS Elitegroup and Gigabyte mboards, but it was way back when the Geforce 2 were new out and with the drivers that came with them. They wouldn't work with the demo on the disk and quake was the only game that worked staight off, any other game I had to tweak this and adjust that for each game we got running, Nvidia suggested moving the sound cards as far away from the AGP slot as possible, I think I had some successs there, but I needed to make system recovery disks and I'd get calls asking "how do I get this running again?" But I'm sure they've moved on since then, it just put me off them at the time and I went to voodoos 3/5 and then ATI, the Radeon 8500 I'm using at the moment upped my FPS in Treadmaks by 200+ so it's a nice card for DDM's where my FPS went down to as low as 8 on a Voodoo 3, bless it's little heart, but when the new geforce is out, if it is faster, I may give it a look, but then again, they did but buy out 3DFX and....

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2