|
Author Topic:   TM patch wishlist part x
Dreamer
posted September 29, 2002 12:27 PM         
I don't know whether it's been mentioned

Another item on my wishlist is remote server administration: Allow admins to set up a password and a list of ip addresses allowed to mess with the server and have the server part of TM (including running single player games) listen to telnet-style messages on some port. Messages coming from that port should be interpreted the same as locally entered ones after authentication. How about it, LDA?

Oh, and, of course, scripting support. Basic logic (if/then branches and loops) and some pulicly accessible variables like tank teams, weapons and positions) would do just fine. SpiderMonkey might do that if it's not too slow.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 29, 2002 12:41 PM            
A sensible request Dreamer, i sent that into jim several months back although not as well worded, he said he would put it on the list, but ill email him and try to get an update. IMHO additional server admin capabilities would be a good and possitive step forward. Its good to see someone coming up with pro-active suggestions like this.

Btw, hows Tmapper 2 or its upgrade coming ?

IP:

Dreamer
posted September 29, 2002 12:51 PM         
pro-active? *shudders* I hate words like that.

As for TMapper2 - delayed. RL got me.

But my Java Bone is aching for action once again - I just have to find a good Java IDE for Linux; I refuse to run any kind of windoze just for Java development. NetBeans/Forte is OK, but far too slow and huge for my needs. Others are available, but either lacking important features or not free.

IP:

Sage
posted September 29, 2002 02:08 PM            
Hey, dreamer, do ya have XP yet? If not, lets all start a fund to get XP for Dreamer, lol.

In this way, maybe you could help out the XP'ers with there TMmapper ploblems, (mostly me).

IP:

Dreamer
posted September 29, 2002 02:43 PM         
XP... What was that again... Ah, yes, that latest redmond monstrosity. I don't think Im going to let that near my computer anytime soon. It's Linux for me, RedHat to be exact. As stable as anyone could wish for and as comfortable as any Windows version could ever aspire to be. No, I'm not missing the RealPlayer or Quicktime movies. I'm not missing the daily blue screen of death. I could do with game developers using OpenGL instead of DirectX, though.
If Microsoft released a working and well-engineered DirectX port for Linux machines, they'd probably be out of business within a year - but wait: I'd even pay for that if I could get free upgrades. I'd rather see someone writing an open-source directx-compatible library, though.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 29, 2002 03:28 PM            
Dreamer: If Microsoft produced a working, well engineered DirectX (or any 1 of the above) for ANY system, I'd be impressed!

As for TM, I think remote administration is a VERY good thing.

A couple things for LDA to consider:
- A "Service" version of TM Server for WinNT/2k servers so that people don't have to be logged on to run it.
- A Linux server version of TM. The simple way would be to have the server exec downloadable. All you have to do is install Tread Marks onto your computer off the CD under Wine and then drop the Linux server into the dir and run it. No giving away of a free TM since its server only, and since you have to have the CD to get the associated data files, no problems there either.

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited September 29, 2002).]

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted September 29, 2002 04:07 PM            
*thinks* Prehaps a built in mod picker system? (btw, thanks to Mysterial for making the last one). If you have remote administration, prehaps also the abiltie to choose between server types remotely hrmm, prehaps also MORE race and CTF servers. Since when did we all become obsessed with the ddm aspect of the game? Sure its fun but theres 3 modes of play, lets not just use DDM alone. "Man shall not live by bread and water alone" hehe

IP:

Paranor
posted September 29, 2002 11:16 PM            
you can run any .exe as a service - there are utility programs out there.

I would agree on the remote telnet - BF1942 has this and it beats remote control. I'm sure other servers have it but I've only run BF1942 and TM.

i would vote adding a kill-all-irascible-tanks-during-ddm option.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 30, 2002 12:07 AM            
You don't quite understand Paranor. Just running an exec as a service isn't the same. Can you access the GUI if its an exec? It has to be a service that is designed to be able to access the TM Dedicated GUI. There is a reason for this: If you have a GUI (or text based) access to a server service, then you can do remote connection via MS's Remote Client software for Win2k servers (its not natively supported on WinNT servers, but I'm sure there is an way arround that). Once you get that going, you can remotely administer your server from anywhere in the world simply by having the Remote Client software installed - obviously you'll want to set up a firewall so only known IPs can get through, but the point is you can still do it

The reason it has to be accessable into the GUI as a service is becuase each connection is treated as a seperate login, even if they use the same username.

IP:

Paranor
posted September 30, 2002 01:11 PM            
i'm offended and want to flame you. this thread has gone long enough without a fight.

just kidding.

i honestly wasn't thinking of it from the point of accessing the GUI part of it. so yes, running the current EXE as a service wouldn't really be the best.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 30, 2002 01:39 PM            

Did somebody say flame?

Or even better:

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited September 30, 2002).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 30, 2002 01:51 PM            
Here is the whole of them:
(curtesy of Ranger Brian from Firstones.com BBS)

IP:

Paranor
posted September 30, 2002 06:18 PM            
hehe - nice.

once again a thread went off course.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted September 30, 2002 06:23 PM            
You mean threads are supposed to stay on course?

IP:

Karldar
posted September 30, 2002 10:10 PM            
Say what?!

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 01, 2002 02:39 PM            
What.

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted October 01, 2002 08:03 PM            
hahaha

did i notice unreal tournament weapons there mutilating pikachu? god i hate that cartoon

IP:

Teulk
posted October 01, 2002 08:12 PM            
Should have been Sailor Moon, or Yu-Gi-Oh, or whatever other moronic cartoon was available!!!! Any of them would suffice!!!!!!

IP:

kv
posted October 02, 2002 02:16 PM            
Par, if you want to give remote commands to the server GUI, do a google search for WinVNC (it will be the first link). It is a remote admin program that will allow you to log into a pc and issue commands to it as if you were sitting in front of it.

WinVNC is easy to set up, works on many operating systems, is secure, and it's free.

I use it to remotely access my TM server, even if i'm only 40 feet away.

IP: