This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   TM Website
Random Chaos
posted September 16, 2002 04:34 PM            
Ok - I've been talking with some freinds of mine online and I'm working up a deal for hosting (free) with them of Tread Marks maps, mods, tanks, packages, etc. We easily have several gigabytes of space we can use on an FTP server for TM so space isn't a problem. The problem is assembling this whole thing.

It will be a MySQL based site so all items will be arrayed in a massive database.

What I will need (if we go for this) is weapons, tanks, etc assembled individually (not these massive Client an Server packages that we have been doing) with descriptions of the weapons, tanks, etc. Obviously I can get the maps easily though - and most of the tanks. Its the weapons that pose a problem since we've managed to assemble them into a massive package system becuase no one has spent the time formulating individual downloads.

What does everyone think of this idea?

IP:

coaxs
posted September 16, 2002 04:56 PM            
90% of the individual weapons can be found here http://www.geocities.com/tmweapons , never finished working on the site since the master pack is being housed now. The weapons not included are the serious lag ones for the most part.

Help files are not included though since they were zipped using Entegrity of the master mod pack, p.s. the site is no longer being updated.

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited September 16, 2002).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 16, 2002 06:40 PM            
Ok...I guess I should download them all.

*looks at hard disk space*

Hopefully I can fit them all here - I'm almost running on empty.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 16, 2002 06:49 PM            
Ok...got about half way through before Geocities revoked downloads for bandwidth excesses. Now I'll get the next half in a 3 hours when I'm back from class

I don't think you have all the weapons though, Coax. But you might...

What about tanks? I have all of Noper's tanks and my own tanks, but where can I DL the rest to get them together for this server.

--------------------

Another thing: If anyone who made these weapons could send me a list of which weapons are your's along with a prefered e-mail address (and website if you feel like it), thanks - its hard to set up a description with unknown authors

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted September 16, 2002 08:27 PM            
Random, use the thing for your "VERY" "VERY" old TM site!!! It'd be so cool to have that back =)

IP:

coaxs
posted September 16, 2002 08:28 PM            
Your right I don't have all the weapons just around 90% or so. I don't know who has tanks.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 17, 2002 12:46 AM            
Ok, thanks to Kong I have almost everything that came out while there still was a TM Central.

Now I need a few more things:
- Any Map, Weapon, Tank made since the start of August - I have a few of these, but 90% are probably missing.

I am HOPING I can start getting this site together soon. Things are still up in the air - we don't even have the server yet - it should be installed in the next few days (had to be shipped to where it's getting hosted). I don't run the server, but I know the person that does. This all assumes he decides to let me in (which I suspect he will without problems).

IP:

A2597
posted September 17, 2002 05:44 PM            
Feel free to add my penguins to your little DLs page.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 19, 2002 02:48 PM            
Ok. I have the database designed. Now to figure out how to get web pages to access it - then I can start adding items.

We are 2? days from when the server will be ready for hosting anything, and my site will go up as soon after as I finish it.

Its a definate go now.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted September 19, 2002 04:03 PM            
Good luck, and thanks.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 19, 2002 07:34 PM            
Yeah...this is going to take time.

I can get the site up quickly looking ok. But I can't get screenshots and descriptions of every weapon up that fast

As I said...this will take time.

----

If ANYONE wants to help by writing up a breif description based on the weapons and/or get me screenshots of the weapons. PLEASE. I can't do this alone

IP:

Paranor
posted September 20, 2002 08:18 AM            
How about setting up a list of TO DO's - maybe some of us will grab one of those and get them done.

------------------
-How's it going bugalugs? I know bugger all and I'm buggered. So bugger off.
BWL-Paranor, BWL-Tiger, DNX-Tiggs and D.O.G.-Aragon.
Family. Redefined.
DDM Pics, schedule and other here!

IP:

CyberCannon
posted September 20, 2002 03:22 PM            
I would offer to help out but it would probably be better for you if I didn't.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 20, 2002 03:32 PM            
Hey RC!

You can grab all my stuff from my website.

If you need help with MySQL/PHP/XML/XSLT coding, I can help ya out in the programming department.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 21, 2002 05:54 PM            
Ok...

here is a list of what I need:

- Screen Shots of every weapon, formatted to 240x180 JPGs - e-mail me for a server IP to upload to.

- Descriptions of weapons (brief but not . Including a relative power scale (2-3 = Balanced with LDA weapons, 5=MegaDeath Super Nuclear Destructo). Quality rating (generally SSO items won't get 5's unless they are excelent, 4's are hard for SSO's to get unless they are unique - basically this is how unique and special they are...)

- Entering data into the database (contact me for how to do this on ICQ or AIM) - its not much different then entering data into a spread sheet - you just need a special app to do it.

I'm sure I will think of other things

(I do need to know how to get in contact with the person that runs TMMaps now)

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted September 21, 2002 09:03 PM            
Harmless hosts them at: http://www.tbhccs.com/treadmarks/index.html
His e-mail link is at the bottom of the page.
Be nice to him. He is my brother in law ;D

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 22, 2002 02:47 AM            
If anyone is interested in seeing what I've done so far:
http://141.195.134.16:25000/webdata/TM_EH/tm_download.asp

Please don't abuse my computer though

Most of the links work (including download - again, don't abuse my computer ), but not all will show you anything. I can guarentee that the Maps and Applications categories won't show you a thing - nothing in them yet.

I'd like comments on the layout if you could

And don't bookmark it - I hope within a week to have the entire thing moved to the final server: http://www.elitehunters.com

--RC

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited September 22, 2002).]

IP:

Irascible
posted September 22, 2002 04:31 AM            
Damn! I like things neat, organized, uncluttered and easy to get to. You've managed to do all of that. That little "I" for information is real slick. The only thing I'd say you're lacking is visual stimulus. Yeah, I know, I just said I like it uncluttered. But right now it's real sterile. The flash animation may be exactly what I'm talking about. But it never loaded for some reason.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted September 22, 2002 04:48 AM            
It looks great. The flash animations loaded great for me (perhaps this is one case where using Netscape is better? ) I am looking forward to seeing the completed project. Good job.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 22, 2002 10:39 AM            
Ira: One of the 5 random Flash Anims doesn't load...not sure why. Its off a remote server (the one that the site will be hosted on) so it should work when I finally move it to that server.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 22, 2002 12:05 PM            
Note: http://141.195.134.16:25000/webdata/TM_EH/tm_download.asp

Check out the "Filter by Name" feild - there are a lot of things missing...but

I hope soon to get a "Filter by Author" going

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited September 22, 2002).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 22, 2002 05:23 PM            
I got rid of the Filter by Name, added a Filter by Author, completely redesigned the linkage system into a topbar with dropdown form feilds.

Now all I need is the mods in there.

Oh - and yes, this page is probably 99% Complete

IP:

Irascible
posted September 22, 2002 05:29 PM            
Hmmm. The flash animation still doesn't work for me. I have the latest flash player. I turned off my pop-up stopper. The only other thing I know of is that I sit behind a router. But I doubt that would have anything to do with it. Hmmm.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 22, 2002 08:52 PM            
Can you get to www.elitehunters.com ? - if you can the Flash should work. If you can't...I don't know whats wrong...

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted September 23, 2002 03:56 PM            
I'm behind a router, too, so that shouldn't be it

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2