This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   DDM 08/11/02 - OR MANY WAYS TO ANNOY YOU....
Paranor
posted August 11, 2002 01:35 PM            
because I can't follow the schedule again.

I volunteered myself at my new church for their annual picnic and I'm too busy to mess with finding my copy of STORM, downloading it, etc. So tonite it's a normal DDM AND NEXT WEEK IS STORM!

Is it ranked? dunno - someone tell me becasue I'm brain dead with serving beer last night until 11:30 and then cooking breakfast at 6:00 am.

I'll have the DDM server up sometime today. And it's using the old setup so there might be lag if it's full. Didn't even have time to switch it over to new setup.

EDIT: If you are going to bitch that I didn't follow the calendar - by all means do so and I'll keep track of your ungrateful IP addresses.

For those of you who understand that I'm doing this FOR FREE and on my free time, thank you!

IP:

Irascible
posted August 11, 2002 02:09 PM            
http://karllois.dyndns.org/2002ddmcalendar.htm

That says ranked and I didn't see anything under "Today's Calendar Events" on your board. But it was suppose to be Storm or is that next week? I'm so appreciatively confused.

Anywho, I assume it's will be ranked since last week was a bust and Supe will have a conniption fit if we don't.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 11, 2002 03:14 PM            
Darling RAS,
quote:
So tonite it's a normal DDM AND NEXT WEEK IS STORM!

Must have not gotten enough sleep last night

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 11, 2002 03:52 PM            
I won't have a fit.I'm just happy to be playing.But you won't show if its not ranked and I show either way.So I guess you're the only one effected by tonight being ranked or not

IP:

coaxs
posted August 11, 2002 04:41 PM            
To many people are confused, so it won't be ranked. hehe.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Teulk
posted August 11, 2002 04:59 PM            
Well, either way, I will have to pass...working again on a Sunday evening...what a drag...but frag everyone for me
Will miss you all ( like I usually do..if you get what I mean )
Hardehar

IP:

Irascible
posted August 11, 2002 05:04 PM            
"So I guess you're the only one effected by tonight being ranked or not."

Indeed. I won't have as much time to wash the cars if it is ranked. Darn.

IP:

ARAGON
posted August 11, 2002 06:07 PM            
This should be ranked, as its what is normally scheduled. IMHO.

Par has been confused on his weekends. Technically, he was supposed to be camping as well.

Right sup?

IP:

King John 1st
posted August 11, 2002 06:25 PM            
Is that for the biggest weapons or tents and stuff?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 11, 2002 06:37 PM            
He probably WILL be camping, on a hill somewhere, on a spawn point. . sniping

IP:

ARAGON
posted August 11, 2002 06:48 PM            
Bah, I have to work anyways (just got surprised by it).

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 11, 2002 08:58 PM            
Hehehe, I hear too much Ranking makes you go blind Ras LOL !

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬וּίŢ ĐX ώοſĽ Ć׀ﺁﭺκ ĦēŘ ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted August 11, 2002 09:15 PM            
------------POST DDM-------------

died 4 times in a row before i even hit the ground

*chant*patchpatchpatchpatchpatchpatchpatch

IP:

Paranor
posted August 11, 2002 09:29 PM            
------------POST DDM-------------

died 5 times in a row in game #3 - I quit.

Sorry guys - I know it's OK to spawn frag during a DDM but 11 out of 14 of my deaths where spawn frags it just gets annoying. No skill. Then I start doing it then everyone starts and then everyone gets upset. OK - maybe just me.

IP:

Irascible
posted August 11, 2002 09:31 PM            
What was that Matrix? Come closer, I can't see you.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 11, 2002 10:25 PM            
Thats the way I felt about it too Par.I TRIED not to spawn frag for the majority then I just said to hell with it because it was happening to me most of the times I spawned.Felt bad about it too.

I DO NOT care if I lose frags by not spawn fragging.I like to win but I don't like to get frags that take 0 skill or effort.To me it is really cheap to frag someone before their treads touch ground.But we have been over this many times and you are never going to get everyone to not do it.And I don't want another debate about it,so I'm just going to say I was very annoyed too.I almost left a few times also.

And when did we decide that it was ok during a DDM?For the most part people don't do it during reg play.I must have missed that or don't remember.

IP:

Irascible
posted August 11, 2002 11:05 PM            
Take a look here:
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001520.html

I know there's been other long threads on the matter. However, if you read that one again you'll see that the overwhelming consensus was that in regular play we should try to not spawn frag, but in a DDM it's no holds barred. In that thread you actually acquiesce to the idea of allowing others to to spawn frag in a DDM, though you wouldn't do it yourself. In fact, you even seem to condone chat fragging in ddms!!! (gasp!)

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited August 11, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted August 11, 2002 11:53 PM            
Yes, we can go on and on and on and on - much like ras's winning streak.

But we'll stop.

Ok gotta say it again - IT S***ED!

IP:

Irascible
posted August 11, 2002 11:55 PM            
Phew! At first glance I thought that said "whining" streak. LOL! Boy, there's some people that would just LOVE to run with that one right about now.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 12, 2002 02:01 AM            
Hmmm...that was a nice topic from way back.But I have seen the light and it WAS good .I don't know why I seemed to not care about it then?Maybe spawn gragging wasn't as bad?Really can't recall.Maybe I have ben spawn fragged one to many times since then?

I bet I know what it is.In the beginning everyone spawn fragged Then some people started complaining that it shouldn't be done and made that known to the public.So most of us took that to heart and stopped spawn fragging.Now almost a year later spawn fragging is mostly not done anymore.So when it does happen,it doesn't fit into the way we all play now days and it makes people mad.If tonights DDM took place a year ago there probablly wouldn't have been that big of a problem...but now most of us are used to not spawn fragging.Taaadaaaahhhh

And Ras,where do I condone chat fragging?I think I said chat frag if the player it iniciating chat to avoid getting fragged which does happen.

And even with the thread you gave I still only see a couple of people say they are going to spawn frag at DDM's.Do they speak for everyone?Hahahhahahahahhahahhahhaah No

Its up to LDA to settle this now.Its out of mere players' hands now.Write your local congressman and have them put the full nelson on LDA so they crank out a patch for us

IP:

coaxs
posted August 12, 2002 02:29 AM            
I've decided I don't care, and will just spawn frag thows that spawn frag me. Thinking about making a petition so that those who wish not to spawn frag will know the names of the others that have decided not to do it too, we'll see.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Irascible
posted August 12, 2002 03:01 AM            
I was kidding about the chat frag thing. That's why I put in the winking yellow thing.

As far as public consensus goes:
I read that thread again and took down names in two columns. I counted 12 names that either gave explicit or tacit support for the idea that spawn fragging is acceptable in DDMs. I counted 2 in the against column... and I'm not really sure about the second one. Considering how few people actually voice their opinions in polls, that's quite a statement. That's NOT the same thing as saying they liked it. Some disliked it but decided it was a de facto standard and would go with it. There's also a list of rules that Coax posted when I was questioning the eight player minimum. Number four of the five was, "Spawn fragging is allowed since it is impossible to get people to behave civilized.". Again, that doesn't make it good. It's just the realization that it's impossible to get it any other way when relying on the honor system. So I and others have operated on that principle both before and since.

Mind you, I have no problem with your effort to change things. I'll do well anyway it goes. But the consensus from that thread and others we've had is that it's impossible to maintain a spawn fragless DDM based on the honor system. If you can get a patch enacted then God bless it.

I think maybe this discussion really has its roots in semantics. Par used the word "OK" in reference to DDM spawn frags. That could be construed as to imply that it's considered proper etiquette. But to be VERY specific, it wasn't that it was or is considered OK in terms of etiquette. It was that despite it being bad etiquette, it would not be taboo during DDMs and no one had to worry about being labeled something bad for doing it. So in reality we don't really disagree on it being "OK". (I made this paragraph bold because I want it to be my main point. We can debate what public opinion is... and that's fun too. But like you said yourself, it's really out of our hands anyway.)

Again, this is all about DDMs. I fail sometimes, but I make an effort to not spawn frag in non-DDM games. And I NEVER spawn frag in non-ranked DDMs... cause I never show up... LOL!

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited August 12, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 12, 2002 06:04 AM            
Ive thought long n hard about this.. and reached the same conclusion, If i dont chat.spawn frag and it still happens to me, then my score is deteriorated by lack of possible score by doing the honourable thing.

Hell ive even died entering a game before ive spawned properly and entered the game with 1 death !

So after many moons of frustration I say sod it, if you chat, stop, pause, spawn anywhere near me and i can reach you i will, unless a patch comes out that stops it. I will of course mention this to jim.

------------------
-=≡[▓▒░ √‬‬‬‬‬‬‬וּίŢ ĐX ώοſĽ Ć׀ﺁﭺκ ĦēŘ ▓▒░]≡=- ☺
-
ģ 2002 /\/\∩ŢŔİX

IP:

John B.
posted August 12, 2002 10:13 AM         
It is the map that the second or was it third game was played on. Anyway, the one with water in the middle that is the problem. For some reason it seems to have a small number of spawn points. In a DDM with a lot of people, everyone just keeps spawning on top of each other. The spawn point becomes a huge crator which is difficult to get out of.

We may want to consider using only larger maps for the DDMs as they seem to get a fairly good turnout.

We should agree whether spawn fragging is OK or not in a DDM. Personally, I think that we might as well say that it is as some players will always do it no matter what.

IP:

Irascible
posted August 12, 2002 10:41 AM            
There's a similar "discussion" here if you're interested:
http://karllois.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=complain;action=display;num=1029120696;start=0

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2