This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   2DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KONG
posted August 07, 2002 10:43 PM            
In 2 days the map site will be deleted. That means Friday evening. Anyone who would like to take over the duties of keeping the map zip files and presenting them however they wish has until FRIDAY to download the zip files and html for the Treadmaps site (if you want to use it). Sailor and myself have been doing this for quite a while now and we need a break. So if you are up to the challenge, let me know in 2 days. The zips will not fit on a free site, so you will have to buy space or run your own server to host them. Remember, 2 days. Friday. I will continue to hold the master files for the time being. Any other hosted files will be unaffected by this change.

IP:

harmless
posted August 07, 2002 11:27 PM            
ok,
but what is the www address for getting
the TM maps if we are curious about
downloading and trying them out?
or.... the direct link to download?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 07, 2002 11:30 PM            
http://tmmaps.topcities.com/tmmaps/ TMMaps will get you there.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TreadMaps

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited August 07, 2002).]

IP:

KONG
posted August 07, 2002 11:34 PM            
If you are seriously interedted, I'll set up an FTP for you to get the Zip files. To get the html or thumbnails you will have to see Sailor. The zip files are about 75 MB, html about 300kb, pics about 160 MB. This includes all the TM and Storm Racer maps.

Send me an email and I will email u a link for the ftp

IP:

harmless
posted August 07, 2002 11:59 PM            
ok
send me the link to get the file.
i don't have to time to constantly
maintain and update, but what i can do
is provide the download so people can
get the maps, as they are, in their current
state.
email is
michael@hallsted.com

IP:

harmless
posted August 08, 2002 02:29 AM            
i went to http://tmmaps.topcities.com/tmmaps/
with the opera browser and got
all of the html pages and the screenshots
there, both low res and high res.
with opera, you can select the option:
"save with images"
so in one step, i was able to save the
page and all images on the page.
so all i really need are the map files.

IP:

Paranor
posted August 08, 2002 02:09 PM            
Sailor & Kong - per our discussion I was going to do this - including maintaining.

Been busy with camping and replacing a car.

I'll get the stuff tonight - need an FTP address though or do i get everythng from the regular map site?

IP:

Teulk
posted August 08, 2002 02:10 PM            
Went to the site, buty when I tried dldg, the site was "not found"...was I too late to get these maps??
Most of these I haven't seen, and, being on nights for the past while, getting extra"s has been a bit difficult.

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited August 08, 2002).]

BTW, are these maps also available on the FTP site?? If so, then I may already have them..there are just too many sites to keep up with

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited August 08, 2002).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 08, 2002 05:44 PM            
I got the same error message.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 08, 2002 07:39 PM            
For those who have not been able to get to the site today it may be down (the files that is) since they are on Kong's server and lately during the day they have been working on the phone lines in his area and the server goes down sometimes. He brings it back up in the evening when he gets home from work. Probably what has happened. Sorry for any inconvenience.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TreadMaps

IP:

harmless
posted August 10, 2002 01:04 AM            
ok everyone...
let me know if i screwed anything up.
but i think it's all up there now.
http://www.tbhccs.com/treadmarks/index.html
basically, i mimicked the old TMmap site.
[[well sort of...]]
all of the TMmaps are on a server some where
in florida. so connection should be good
for everyone.
toodles,
harmless

and before i forget...
us old folks like the larger fonts...

[This message has been edited by harmless (edited August 10, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted August 11, 2002 01:27 PM            
ok - I skimmed this message - so I take it I don't need to bother with maps then?

LET ME KNOW SO I DON'T WASTE MY TIME!

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited August 11, 2002).]

IP:

KONG
posted August 11, 2002 02:21 PM            
Par - He wont be updating the site with new maps.

It would be a good idea for you to do this!

IP:

Paranor
posted August 11, 2002 09:32 PM            
hehe - I just read the more detailed post from Sailor on my board - too many threads!

OK - it's temp for him and permanate for me and I'll get on it. dl'ing the file now.

IP:

Paranor
posted August 13, 2002 08:28 PM            
harmless, can you zip up the web site sans the actual map zip files so I don't have to recreate all of thumbnails?

IP:

harmless
posted August 14, 2002 01:27 AM            
i can do that and it is not a problem.

a suggestion.... to keep us from duplicating efforts....

the little site i did for the current maps
is not going away for at least 2 years
[[it's been bought and paid for, for 2 yrs]]

if you want to simplify things, you could be
the repository for all new maps and if
people want a current map, they could then
come to the site i setup.

it's just a thought, and it would save you
the time and trouble of what has been done
already.

and you could then craft a new site with
only the new maps and make it to your liking.

i'll also email this to you.
well, it's a thought.

toodles,
harmless

IP:

Paranor
posted August 14, 2002 02:55 PM            
If you have the site for 2 years why not just add to yours?

IP:

posted August 14, 2002 03:04 PM            
Will someone make Harmless get ICQ...this is ridiculus...Sorry Mike...but...you need to move into the modern era of instant messaging...even though Fbunny calls it a virus hole...

Thx for storing the maps Harmless...

IP:

harmless
posted August 14, 2002 06:40 PM            
ICQ / instant messaging et-al
are viruses. when i'm online, i don't
appreciate the fact that the world also
knows that i'm online. i like my privacy,
and the whole instant messaging virus is an
invasion on my privacy. and if i did have it,
i would disable it so no one would know if i'm online or not.

in a related note, i turn the ringer on my
phones off in the evenings and i turn the
volume down on the answering machine...
i get telemarketing calls constantly.
friends and family know this and just leave
me a message and know that i'll get back to them soon.

arghh....end of rant.

yes i like my privacy... the back woods of
montana are looking better each year.

let me think about par's request...
i'll reply again later this evening.

toodles,
harmless

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 14, 2002 10:30 PM            
so what do u do when some1 needs contact u in an emergency ?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted August 15, 2002 12:21 AM            
Oh...I can't resist on this one...

They call him on his pager, cell phone, 2 way radio, carrier pigeon, signalman, flares, note in a bottle, notes tied to a rock and thrown through his window, drive by his house and bang on door, and last but least...just tap him on the shoulder and ask him!

IP:

harmless
posted August 15, 2002 03:37 AM            
well..... i'm not as bad as i make it sound. having never been married, no kids, no current girlfriend, and only one long time friend that i stay in contact with, no one ever calls(which i am ok with). when family does call, it is always computer related, so it's never an emergency.(which i am also ok with)

anyway....
about paranor's question about why don't i just keep it updated...

well, i could keep it updated with new maps that people make...
but i would need someone to tell me when a
new map was made, who made it, and then sent the file to me. updating the site is easy enough to do.

let me fill you in on my current situation and see what people say.

right now, i'm in-between jobs and trying to spend the majority of my time self-studying and trying to add some certifications so that i can get a new job in about 2 months. when i do find that new job, it will most likely require a move to some new part of this glorious country. and since this new job will be some form of sys/network admin at a new company, my time will not belong to me until i can get settled in.

also, i'm not really into mods, i still play TM v1.0.1 most of the time, i'm not really on the servers much (at all), and i am looking at TM boards and forums some now only because i've got the time at this moment. that will all change here in the near future.

however, i do have resources web space and bandwidth that i am more than happy to share with the TM community. my domain names and web host companies are not going any where for quite a long time.

i would just need someone to tell me.... here is a new map, here is the file, this is an image of it, and this is who made it. then i would dutifully post the new information and upload it to my site.
actually, i would be happy to post the new information.

someone would have to volunteer to be that "someone" who would keep me up to date and informed, since my face is going to be scarce around here in the near future.
even now, we all have so many forums going that it's a challenge just to visit all of them, much less respond and post, which is something else i don't do that much of.

anyway......
hope this makes sense, and like i said, i'm more than happy to share and make use of what i have. i just need someone to take charge of my life. all marriage proposals will be considered

toodles,
harmless

and, by the way, i have never owned a cell phone or pager, though i'm sure that will change with the new job

IP:

Paranor
posted August 15, 2002 09:18 AM            
I guess that's how I envision it would work. Either the map maker would email you the info or if they forget, someone who is keeping tabs on new maps.

What I would like to avoid is having 2 sites. That will get confusing.

What certs are you going for? (I'm a network admin also).

IP:

harmless
posted August 16, 2002 04:05 AM            
well, ok. let's do it.
if nobody else objects, i'll keep the maps updated and we can all get on with life.

my certs....
people may call me crazy, but i am forsaking any form of microsoft certs. i want to limit my professional contact with microsoft products as much as is humanly possible, which is why i'm pursuing apple certs. i have already passed 2 mac osX tests which makes me an ACTC, apple certified technical coordinator. http://www.gocertify.com/certification/AppleACTC.shtml

i am now trying to pass the press3 mac tests http://www.press3.com/certification/maccerts.html
they have 3 tests, and i have already passed the mac osX one, i still need to pass the mac hardware test and the mac os9 test. which i hope to be doing soon. that will get me the MacCSE label.

then i need to update my novell CNE cert from v5 to v6.

time permitting, then i'll get linux+ certified, but i'll have to see how my money is holding out. none is this is cheap, and all of it takes time.

oh well, i feel it's worth the effort.

i've been A+, Network+, and iNet+ certified for quite some time. i've been a network admin for about 3 years now. it's a small network, 1 novell server and about 50 workstations. actually, my job title should really be "computer guy" since i am the only IT staff they have; but they downsized and can't afford me anymore than 1 day a week. guess i worked myself out of a job since everything runs fine and even one day a week i'm twiddling my thumbs.

BTW... network printing is the bane of all society and will cause the downfall of western civilization as we know it.

toodles,
harmless

IP:

posted August 16, 2002 03:24 PM            
I game...why is network printing going to cause the downfall of western society...just curious... This does not have to be harmless answer this...any IT person can...

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2