|
Author Topic:   News from LDA front
Sailor
Administrator
posted August 01, 2002 07:27 PM            
I was talking to Jim and asked him how things are going. He said the UK PS2 team was really bad news, but they have an Australian team that is working on it now and hopefully things will be better.
On the TM front he said that if some people would like to send him some dedicated.cfg files he would be happy to drop them in and rotate some maps for the LDA server. "I'd like to keep the LDA server straight from the game though" So make sure any dedicated.cfg file you send has only stock maps in it.
Also he is looking at setting up a demo server in addition to the LDA regular server to take over running a demo version of TM.
Ah yes and for the kids there will be a new game released by tomorrow hopefully called VortiBall it "is sort of Packman like...but with a rolling ball and small grid maps..." to quote Jim.
Well that is the latest news from the LDA front - get those dedicated.cfg files ready and email them to LDA Jim to see maps you would like on the LDA server.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TreadMaps

IP:

coaxs
posted August 01, 2002 07:33 PM            
I like Paranor's suggestion that LDA runs a demo server and the community handles the full version servers better.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 01, 2002 08:00 PM            
It is nice that you like Paranor's suggestion, but that is the way Jim would like to handle it and I think he has that right to make that decision so I respect it. He mentioned that Paranor had discussed it with him, but his reasoning for the full server in a stock mode is that newbies would have a full server to play on when they bought the game without having to have any mods for it. I think that is a good thing and agree with him since we cannot guarantee others would have that available on a 100% basis.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TreadMaps

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited August 01, 2002).]

IP:

coaxs
posted August 01, 2002 08:09 PM            
If they have the full version they are not necessarily newbies.

And when there is no longer community support for a stock full server they can always put one back up.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 01, 2002 08:22 PM            
Since they will have one up there will not be an issue. That way the other servers can be any special setup the community likes. And yes people who buy the the game are not necessarily newbies, but many are so whether they are or not is a mute issue. Whether they run a full stock server or not is not the question either. They are going to see about putting up a demo server so others do not have to put one up. If you would rather play on another server than the LDA stock server then do so - it will simply be there for use if anyone wants it.

------------------
TreadMaps

IP:

coaxs
posted August 01, 2002 09:48 PM            
Dang unilateral decisions without community input.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KONG
posted August 01, 2002 10:15 PM            
you mean we dont get to have a three page post to whine and cry about this? darn

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 01, 2002 10:37 PM            
In this case I think it is a business decision on LDA's part. Let's leave it to them since the community does not exist without them at the base. Jim, I am sure knows what is best from the business standpoint for LDA.

------------------
TreadMaps

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited August 01, 2002).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 01, 2002 10:53 PM            
I talked to Paranor about it a few days ago and I told him some reasons why LDA should keep a full server up.He agreed somewhat.
The LDA server can handle more traffic than any other host we use besides Par's T1
The LDA server is always up and we can depend on having a good fast stock server up and its not somebodies' personal connection we are using.So it doesn't have to be shared with something else.
And does LDA really need to give all of that bandwidth to a demo server that will get very little traffic?Maybe if they release a TM2 demo.
I don't really understand where this idea came from but I don't really like it as a player that plays on LDA daily.I understand Par asked them to host a demo server but taking down LDA is some totally different.

Anyway,I'm glad to hear they are going to keep LDA up and host a demo server so players don't have to.And I wish they could give us some more TM2 teasers.

IP:

Paranor
posted August 01, 2002 11:00 PM            
yes, that would be nice when they do the DEMO SERVER! It's one of those things I'm getting less and less interested in doing - I need that PC at work to do stuff.

IP: